How Often Do You Practice in Bunkers?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Does your local course have options of bunker practice? Both short and long game or at least different shots?

Virtual no practice in bunkers. I only know of one local public course that has a practice bunker and short game area. However, that course is about 30 mins away and not a great course to play.

Not very much bunker practice for me. Maybe 2 or 3 balls a month.

For some reason shots out of bunkers are probably the easiest shots I have in my bag.

What I do practice using bunkers are "carry" shots over them from various distances. My landing area is 5+/- yards past the bunker. I practice this shot because I run into quite a few approach shots to pins, protectected by bunkers.

it does but I scoff at the people I see using it...I mean who gets into bunkers that often that they need practice to get out of them?....oh wait...lately, that's me. but like @WLG1952 wrote, I do need to practice carrying pitches over bunkers...

No practice bunkers at my course. I will hit some practice shots out of the ones on the course from time to time during solo rounds.

Short game only. I don’t do a lot of practice out of the bunkers. I’m not the best bunker player, but I do a good job of avoiding them most days.

If the practice area has a bunker with decent sand I’ll jump in and hit some out. As much as I am in bunkers lately the Practice helps.

I practice in both bunkers at the short game area at the range near work. There is a bunker near the range too for full shots. I think I may have used that once. The sand is a little sketchy, but it is better than nothing.

My neighborhood course has two practice areas with bunkers and chipping/pitching and a grass range- we had a couple of PGA Pros live in the neighborhood about 10 years ago and they used it. Would see John Senden over here occasionally. Think I saw him today. It is just 15 minutes from DFW Airport in a master planned neighbood - the course is nothing great, changes in management, but it's good to have a range with 2 short game areas.

I typically hit about 15-20 balls out of the bunker at the end of practice and then call it a day.

Not near enough. Probably one of the worst parts of my game which is saying a lot.

Title says it all. Does your local course have options of bunker practice? Both short and long game or at least different shots?
Fifteen minutes a week during the season

I'll spend 10 to 15 minutes hitting bunker shots at least once a month.

My course has no practice bunkers, nor have I seen one at any of the courses I play.

The driving range I use does. It isn’t set up for long shots... more like chipping onto the putting green.

My home course has one, but I rarely use it. They only have one practice green and it's used for putting, chipping/pitching and the bunker, so if anybody else is on the practice green I don't like to take the chance of beaning them with a skulled bunker shot. On the upside, it's a lot better than the actual bunkers on the course, which are usually either mud puddles or baked hardpan.

No enough. We do have a practice area with 3 greens with bunkers. I can hit short and mid-length bunker shots for practice. I can also hit out of one of them into a range area to get fairway bunker practice, although that would require a little planning and awareness with other golfers around.

I tend to practice at least 2 or 3 times every round. Not on purpose mind you. The practice sand at my local range is too hard to be of any use.

I’ve yet to find a bunker on a practice ground that mirrors the bunkers on the course. Practice ground bunkers tend to have a depth of one grain of sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the only time I practiced in the bunkers was when I was trying wedges at ECPC and the first day at The Hideaway. Honestly the bunkers is somewhere I feel super comfortable when hitting out of, which is odd because I never practice in them. The 58* PM Grind is like cheating out of greenside bunkers.

My league course has a separate green for bunker practice.

I’ve never used it but absolutely should hahaha

No practice bunkers at courses around here so I just take 2 or 3 shots to get out when I hit into them. Practice with purpose! 🙃

Not very often as basically nowhere around me that I go has anything to practice from.

One practice area here has bunkers. I might venture into it, at most, twice a year.

Not often but do when visiting places with practice bunkers. So about 6 times a year.

Back