Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
BC:

42 new confirmations, 659 total, 64 in hospital (26 in ICU), 14 deaths (1 new, 11 were Lynn Valley Care Centre, all were 70+)

183 now "fully recovered"

so far no confirmed cases in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside

evictions banned province-wide along with rent freezes, up to $500/mo being made available to renters out of work

I'm interested to see what comes for our renters. Provincial government hinted that they have something planned but was waiting for federal to approve the stimulus package.

Good to know what's happening on the other coast.

Stay at home orders for Charlotte start tomorrow morning. Golf is considered socially acceptable...thank goodness.

It was pretty nice. The 2nd time I went it was just my 8 year old son and I. We ended up just playing #1 and then skipping over to 17 and playing it a few times (short par 3). Then much more time just hanging out around the green doing some chipping.

I'm interested to see what comes for our renters. Provincial government hinted that they have something planned but was waiting for federal to approve the stimulus package.

Good to know what's happening on the other coast.
Is that you, P.....ems? Missed your good words elsewhere.

If this hasn't already happened, the way that this virus is perceived by many is something that is really affecting those in big cities (NYC, Seattle, SF, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta) but doesn't have much of an impact on rural areas. Expand that out and it's easy to see why some people don't see why they need to stay at home.

First time I've seen such an order, (I'll presume the paper got it right), that specifically allows or prohibits golf (other than local muni closures like here.
While clearly I don't think it's safe and smart from my other posts- even if YOU play safely- at least it's a clear statemennt.

This is from my Country Club.
1EC92A9D-903A-44FE-981B-BF390FE748FC.jpeg

I’m not going to post it because of the language but Michael rappaport’s psa I saw on Facebook was hilarious. Find it at your own risk.

I got a email from a local course that said they were closing due to being non essential but then I got a email yesterday saying they would be open.
If you areallowed to go running then I don't see why playing golf with 3 others should be banned.
People need to use common sense plain and simple.

If this hasn't already happened, the way that this virus is perceived by many is something that is really affecting those in big cities (NYC, Seattle, SF, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta) but doesn't have much of an impact on rural areas. Expand that out and it's easy to see why some people don't see why they need to stay at home.
The last data I saw this morning was showing almost half of the positives in CA are in the 18-49 age group. So much for the "it's just old people that get it".

Stay at home orders for Charlotte start tomorrow morning. Golf is considered socially acceptable...thank goodness.
I should have been playing there today and tomorrow. ☹️

I should have been playing there today and tomorrow. ☹

We definitely should have. Would have been perfect weather too.

This may be repeating what others have stated previously (I don't have the patience to go through all 137 pages on this thread), but I want to urge caution with how the various statistics are being viewed and shared, along with commentary, on this site.
Much of the data is incomplete. Much of it is downright misleading. Even the Johns Hopkins U. site that is tracking world-wide incidence of the Covid-19 infections contains information only on confirmed cases and reported deaths are available from various national and local sources. Numbers of deaths are presumably much more accurate than numbers of confirmed cases. That is because deaths are a pretty clearcut datapoint, though attribution of deaths to Covid-19 may not be accurate in all cases. The testing, however, may be radically different from place to place - and reporting of it may be managed for political reasons. That includes what is being reported in the United States. Personally, I am reassured that we have some infectious disease experts at the center of the effort. But I worry how effective they can be in the political circumstances present in the United States.
I hope you will all consider that, for example, so far Russia and India have both reported fewer confirmed Covid-19 cases than Iceland, which has a total population of less than 400,000. Do you buy that? I don't. And the African nations are reporting very low rates of confirmed Covid-19 infections, when all other evidence suggests that continent is likely to be impacted greatly by any pandemic and particularly so by something like this that is transmitted easily in close contact social situations.
My point is "This ain't over!" In fact, it really hasn't hit the throttle yet. Anyone who wants to wish that the US is doing a good job simply because it got a good rating for preparedness last October needs to take a hard look at what is actually happening right now around the country. The health care professionals are scared Sh**le**. New York is on the ropes with more cases than the health care system can possibly handle and more showing up by the hour. Washington State's belated actions to shut social interactions down will take several weeks (or, more likely, several month) to blunt the rising numbers there.
I am currently in New Zealand, which is just beginning to feel the impact of Kiwis returned home from overseas. The testing here is better than in most other countries. The Prime Minister invoked the highest level of security shut down as of midnight last night, essentially telling everyone to just stay at home. The restrictions have a legitimate chance of lowering the peak of the incidence curve because they have acted relatively quickly and strongly. We aren't even going outside.
For better or worse, we currently plan to return to the USA on March 29 via a non-stop flight from Auckland to Vancouver, crossing the Canada / USA border at Blaine and driving immediately to our residence on San Juan Island. Not sure it is our brightest stroke of genius, but we will see how it pans out. San Juan County has reported only a single case of Covid-19 and that is on another island. Our pantry is stocked, and the wine is overflowing from the closet.
Good luck to all of you. Be well. Be kind. Be calm.

Last edited:
This may be repeating what others have stated previously (I don't have the patience to go through all 137 pages on this thread), but I want to urge caution with how the various statistics are being viewed and shared, along with commentary, on this site.
Much of the data is incomplete. Much of it is downright misleading. Even the Johns Hopkins U. site that is tracking world-wide incidence of the Covid-19 infections contains information only on confirmed cases and reported deaths that are available from various national and local sources. Numbers of deaths are presumably much more accurate than numbers of confirmed cases. That is because deaths they are a pretty clearcut datapoint, though attribution of deaths to Covid-19 may not be accurate in all cases. The testing, however, may be radically different from place to place - and reporting of it may be managed for political reasons. That includes what is being reported in the United States. Personally, I am reassured that we have some infectious disease experts at the center of the effort. But I worry how effective they can be in the political circumstances present in the United States. Given past performance, I don't believe ANYTHING that Donald Trump says. His ample history of blatantly lying to us for three years has eroded any confidence I have in information coming from the administration - and I am a fairly conservative older guy. I just don't like being lied to by anybody, and certainly not by elected officials. Tell me truth. I am a big boy. I can take it. I count all my putts. (But enough of that political crap, right?)
I hope you will all consider that, for example, so far Russia and India have both reported fewer confirmed Covid-19 cases than Iceland, which has a total population of less than 400,000. Do you buy that? I don't. And the African nations are reporting very low rates of confirmed Covid-19 infections, when all other evidence suggests that continent is likely to be impacted greatly by any pandemic and particularly so by something like this that is transmitted easily in close contact social situations.
My point is "This ain't over!" In fact, it really hasn't hit the throttle yet. Anyone who wants to wish that the US is doing a good job simply because it got a good rating for preparedness last October needs to take a hard look at what is actually happening right now around the country. The health care professionals are scared Sh**le**. New York is on the ropes with more cases than the health care system can possibly handle and more showing up by the hour. Washington State's belated actions to shut social interactions down will take several weeks (or, more likely, several month) to blunt the rising numbers there.
I am currently in New Zealand, which is just beginning to feel the impact of Kiwis returned home from overseas. The testing here is better than in most other countries. The Prime Minister invoked the highest level of security shut down as of midnight last night, essentially telling everyone to just stay at home. The restrictions have a legitimate chance of lowering the peak of the incidence curve because they have acted relatively quickly and strongly. We aren't even going outside.
For better or worse, we currently plan to return to the USA on March 29 via a non-stop flight from Auckland to Vancouver, crossing the Canada / USA border at Blaine and driving immediately to our residence on San Juan Island. Not sure it is our brightest stroke of genius, but we will see how it pans out. San Juan County has reported only a single case of Covid-19 and that is on another island. Our pantry is stocked, and the wine is overflowing from the closet.
Travel restrictions are changing daily (at least). I think from your post you are US citizens. So for now I understand you are ok to travel by car to the US.
But...Canada just proclaimed the 14 day Quarantine Act in effect today, March 25. and these were restrictions to returning Canadians from what little I have heard so far. Requires staying in a motel/hotel near the Airport for the period if no home or direct family to stay with. Don't know how that will affect you and certainly WA has been hit hard, if not San Juan Islands.

You are obviously a thoughtful guy that will probably keep abreast of this anyway, but I wanted to give you a heads up now from what little I know of the changes.

We spent several weeks in NZ end of Nov 19, early December (land/cruise) and hoped to do a return sometime soon, probably after the infrastructure demands of the America's Cup in 2021. I doubt either of those shall come to pass now in the near future.

Best to you. Maybe drop e a private message once you get settled back home.

Much of the data is incomplete. Much of it is downright misleading. Even the Johns Hopkins U. site that is tracking world-wide incidence of the Covid-19 infections contains information only on confirmed cases and reported deaths that are available from various national and local sources. Numbers of deaths are presumably much more accurate than numbers of confirmed cases. That is because deaths they are a pretty clearcut datapoint, though attribution of deaths to Covid-19 may not be accurate in all cases. The testing, however, may be radically different from place to place - and reporting of it may be managed for political reasons. That includes what is being reported in the United States. Personally, I am reassured that we have some infectious disease experts at the center of the effort. But I worry how effective they can be in the political circumstances present in the United States. Given past performance, I don't believe ANYTHING that Donald Trump says. His ample history of blatantly lying to us for three years has eroded any confidence I have in information coming from the administration - and I am a fairly conservative older guy. I just don't like being lied to by anybody, and certainly not by elected officials. Tell me truth. I am a big boy. I can take it. I count all my putts. (But enough of that political crap, right?)

I am giving you a pass because you said you skipped many posts, but I have asked numerous times now, please keep politics out of this. Thank you.

Every night at 7pm locals here have been going out on their balconies to shout, stomp, cheer, blow whistles (whatever) in support for the first responders who are putting themselves at risk daily.... It got LOUD near my place tonight. Passing along if yoiur community might want to coinsider something similar.

Conversley, I read today that some responders in India (1.3 billion people) are being EVICTED from their residences in fear they will bring the disease back to the residence.

So, shelter in place in MN for two weeks. I work in ND and my employer has determined that since we sell and support PC's and servers to some hospitals and police departments that we fall within the essential business. So, I'll be expected to be at work Monday morning and ready to go.
I'll possibly be working through it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back