Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, there is a lot of rampant, and unsourced speculation. Some of it from supposedly responsible individuals and that kind of thing is irresponsible at best. There is enough fear surrounding this virus, no need to add to it. For example, in the UK it was initially said 500,000 people would die, that number has since been lowered to 20,000 at most. One well known host of a certain cable channel said in the US that millions will die. It's this kind of reporting that freaks people out. There is enough uncertainty as it is, no need to throw gasoline on the fire. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

So far we would expect 14 million people to die worldwide in the first three months of the year. With Covid 19 currently at 24,361 deaths that is only 0.17% of the total “normal” deaths. The seasonal flu alone has caused about 500,000 deaths worldwide this flu season.

You Lysol yourself before you come near me sir

Is that just a standard precaution...or extra because of the coronavirus? (I'd understand either way. You've met my friends)

I really appreciate you sharing this data.

The positive test percentages rising feels like a form of selection bias. We are testing more and the criteria for getting a test are pretty strict, therefore it’s not very surprising the percentage of positives goes up.

My buddy, his wife, and both kids have it but they only tested his son(positive). Their doctor told them they would save the tests for those who need as after his son was confirmed positive it’s about 100% likely they all have it as they were showing Classic symptoms.

Is that just a standard precaution...or extra because of the coronavirus? (I'd understand either way. You've met my friends)

Definitely

What's even worse, is saying wash your hands isn't enough, you have to make sure to add "with soap".
I honestly think that may be worse. You made the effort, and that was your attempt. Just lie to me and say they were out of soap.

Florida issues a shelter in place starting tonight at midnight and going through April 18th.

What is the source for this data. I look for it regularly and can never find it
Somebody posted it in this thread. It also has detailed data by state.

Yep, similar to the virus situation, I don’t think we’ve seen the worst of it yet for the stock market

If a sleazebag like this can lie to people about this situation and then buy all their stocks up the next day (making a couple billion with a few phone calls), I'm guessing we're actually going to get better, faster, and he knows it:

Yes, there is a lot of rampant, and unsourced speculation. Some of it from supposedly responsible individuals and that kind of thing is irresponsible at best. There is enough fear surrounding this virus, no need to add to it. For example, in the UK it was initially said 500,000 people would die, that number has since been lowered to 20,000 at most. One well known host of a certain cable channel said in the US that millions will die. It's this kind of reporting that freaks people out. There is enough uncertainty as it is, no need to throw gasoline on the fire. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

The update to that study took into effect the continuation of the measures that have been put in place. Of course the numbers went down! The 500K was with no intervention, and fairly aggressive interventions have been taken in the UK.

Reactions: JB
Florida issues a shelter in place starting tonight at midnight and going through April 18th.

You mean particular county? Cause I can't find that anywhere

Edit: Dang it Morgan I was trying to say that

Can you tell me where you saw that? I can't find anything for the whole state, just individual counties.

Sorry I read it wrong! it was for Collier County. I’m part of the problem spreading misinformation!

You mean particular county? Cause I can't find that anywhere

Edit: Dang it Morgan I was trying to say that

You are too slow. :)

Sorry I read it wrong! it was for Collier County.

Ok, that makes more sense. I was looking all over the web and couldn't find anything for the whole state.

Last edited:
Ok, that makes more sense. I was looking all over the web and couldn't find anything for the whole state.

I think part of it is because with the size of our state, there are huge areas that are by and large unaffected currently. If that changes, I expect we see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A local hospital, Saratoga Hospital, reports they can covert an anesthesia machine to a ventilator in about an hour in a fairly simple procedure. Basically, those units supply oxygen and anesthesia during surgery, and they figured out a way to disable the stream that meters the latter. If they need them, that's 48 additional ventilators available.

Probably obvious to those in the business, probably being done, but thought I would put it up here to show there is a lot of creativity and improvisation going on.

Last edited:
I think part of it is because with the size of our state, there are huge areas that are by and large unaffected currently. If that changes, I expect we see it.

I've been thinking about this problem and what the solution is - it's a tough one. For example, I'm near Boston, which has a good amount of cases. But my town is so far doing well. It would make sense restrictions were semi-relaxed, as long as you're not moving people in/out of the area. And of course, you've validated via testing that people in a given area aren't actually sick and asymptomatic.

I feel like the solution to this is going to have to be an eat/shop/work local movement for a while. How that's implemented, zero clue. But without some sort of restriction on travel to/from "hot" areas I don't know how that's done.

You are too slow. :)

How's that cough you have going? 👼

Shelter in place is a bit of a death sentence to small businesses. Then you have the second guessing like what NY's Governor is having with, "ok, I sheltered everyone. Oh crap, now the young people and old people are sheltered together"

In a press conference in Albany, Cuomo said the smartest way forward would be a public health strategy that complemented a “get-back-to-work strategy.”

“What we did was we closed everything down. That was our public health strategy. Just close everything, all businesses, old workers, young people, old people, short people, tall people,” said Cuomo. “Every school closed, everything.”

“If you rethought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don't know that you would say quarantine everyone,” Cuomo admitted. “I don't even know that that was the best public health policy. Young people then quarantined with older people was probably not the best public health strategy because the younger people could have been exposing the older people to an infection. “

Cuomo stressed the need for both public health and economic growth. “We have to do both,” said the governor. “We’re working on it.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Shelter in place is a bit of a death sentence to small businesses. Then you have the second guessing like what NY's Governor is having with, "ok, I sheltered everyone. Oh crap, now the young people and old people are sheltered together"

In a press conference in Albany, Cuomo said the smartest way forward would be a public health strategy that complemented a “get-back-to-work strategy.”

“What we did was we closed everything down. That was our public health strategy. Just close everything, all businesses, old workers, young people, old people, short people, tall people,” said Cuomo. “Every school closed, everything.”

“If you rethought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don't know that you would say quarantine everyone,” Cuomo admitted. “I don't even know that that was the best public health policy. Young people then quarantined with older people was probably not the best public health strategy because the younger people could have been exposing the older people to an infection. “

Cuomo stressed the need for both public health and economic growth. “We have to do both,” said the governor. “We’re working on it.”

Keep in mind, NYC was encouraged to go out and enjoy and business as usual in early March.
I think that directly translates to what feels like 50% of cases in the US we currently have being from that area.

Our doctor has seen another spike in seasonal flu cases since the shut down and in her opinion, the spike could easily wind up killing more Minnesotans than Covid 19. A one size fits all is not the solution. Some counties in MN have no cases or just a few and it seems silly to inflict so much economic damage for so little benefit. The seasonal flu kills 35,000 in the U.S. each year and we go about our daily lives without a second thought or worry about it.

Keep in mind, NYC was encouraged to go out and enjoy and business as usual in early March.
I think that directly translates to what feels like 50% of cases in the US we currently have being from that area.

True. I think the low medium high risk idea works best. Definitely feel sick, get home. Feel iffy, use your judgement, and preferrably good judgement. Feel okay, back to work but don't touch or get too close to people. Yes, you have people who are asymptomatic. Well, you don't even know if you have it or not anyway. Be more helpful people, gosh. :alien:

Michigan is really getting hit hard here, especially in Metro Detroit. Articles coming out that a lot of the hospitals' ICU units are already full. Not good.

Our doctor has seen another spike in seasonal flu cases since the shut down and in her opinion, the spike could easily wind up killing more Minnesotans than Covid 19. A one size fits all is not the solution. Some counties in MN have no cases or just a few and it seems silly to inflict so much economic damage for so little benefit. The seasonal flu kills 35,000 in the U.S. each year and we go about our daily lives without a second thought or worry about it.

Because it's a known entity. Catastrophic as it may be, its been something those in medicine have battled. In this instance, nobody has a clue what the future holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back