Your choice: 18 Pars or 9 Birdies & 9 Bogeys?

I'll say 9 birdies and 9 bogeys as that would be a personal best for number of birdies in a round

Give me 9 and 9. Scoring 9 birdies even with countering with 9 bogies would give so many great shots to remember vs simply hitting all pars.

Wow, boring making 18 pars and 9 bogies and 9 birdies would drive me crazy. This is a mixed bag for me. If I had to absolutely make a choice I would go with the bogies/birdies since I have never made 9 birdies in one round.

18 pars. This is a measure that I am control of my game. All aspects of my game must be pretty solid to score 18 pars. On the other hand, 9 birdies and 9 bogeys? That means I didn't make ONE par save the entire round. The 9 birdies meant I had the potential to score really well, but was so inconsistent I couldn't hold it together for more than a couple of holes. No, I much prefer the 18 pars.

Wow, boring making 18 pars and 9 bogies and 9 birdies would drive me crazy. This is a mixed bag for me. If I had to absolutely make a choice I would go with the bogies/birdies since I have never made 9 birdies in one round.
As someone who has had 18 par rounds, I can assure you it is anything but boring. Even at the PGA level 13 GIRs for a round is considered quite good. So, that's 5 or more holes where you successfully made an up and down. The dozen or so holes you made GIR, you had a birdie putt of various lengths. Probably had at least a couple holes where your tee shot left you with a recovery shot of one type or another and you pulled it off!

At the end of your round, you made 100% of your up and down opportunities, probably no 3-putts, didn't screw up any lag putt, or if you did you made the come-backer, and had around 30 putts total for the round. Yeah, it's definitely not boring.

I'll say 9 birdies and 9 bogeys as that would be a personal best for number of birdies in a round
Same here...but then again, 18 pars would be a personal best for number of pars in a round for me too. :unsure:

I am a risk guy. I'd rather see 9 birdies and 9 bogeys. Tells me I can make 9 birdies in a round. Bogeys I expect to happen occasionally. Would it infuriate me that I didn't get at least 1 par? Sure. But I wouldn't disappointed at the score for sure.
Oh I couldn't agree with this more. 9 birdies means proof to myself that I have the ability to make 9 birdies, and those bogeys could easily be turned into par. Would be a strange round, but definitely the round of my life.

Does it matter? I guess when you're on the green in reg and one putt you don't get raised eyebrows when you say 5 on a par 5....

"Sliced it into the woods. 1. Recovery shot. 2. Shanked approach into the woods... again. 3. Six iron under the trees out of the woods onto the green. 4. One putt. 5. Par."

Definitely 9 birdies and 9 bogeys. I make plenty of bogeys and quite a few pars so making 9 birdies since bogey/par golf is what I shoot for anyway I think birdies would give me more confidence.

Same here...but then again, 18 pars would be a personal best for number of pars in a round for me too. :unsure:
This is a good point.. Either would be a personal best round.

I’d go 9 and 9, as it is more of a story than 18 pars.

To Get 9 birdies in one round might verify I got game. Personal best is 3.
I think that in mid season, I would more likely have 18 pars because I managed the round and course better. Cant quite imagine standing on the tee box at 18 for either of these options.

18 pars no question. constantly giving back a shot every other hole or how ever you score it would be so defeating :LOL:

18 pars hands down. Sounds boring, but its consistent

I'm trying to explain the difference between them to the wife while we're on the road, and I knew she got what I was saying when she threw out this simple statement about the 18 pars:

"So it's like keeping your virginity all the way through college or something.

It's impressive, but it isn't near as much fun."

Hahaha

I had a round last summer where I missed 17 birdie putts, had two 3 putts, and bogied the one hole where I didn’t have a GIR. I walked off the 18th green feeling a bit pissed that I had just thrown about 6 shots away during the round, lol.

As someone who has had 18 par rounds, I can assure you it is anything but boring. Even at the PGA level 13 GIRs for a round is considered quite good. So, that's 5 or more holes where you successfully made an up and down. The dozen or so holes you made GIR, you had a birdie putt of various lengths. Probably had at least a couple holes where your tee shot left you with a recovery shot of one type or another and you pulled it off!

At the end of your round, you made 100% of your up and down opportunities, probably no 3-putts, didn't screw up any lag putt, or if you did you made the come-backer, and had around 30 putts total for the round. Yeah, it's definitely not boring.

While I agree with your post I believe the difference between the two options is day and night. I Have not made 18 pars in a round, but I haven't had nine birdies and bogies in a round. Pars are what make good scores and birdies and bogies are ups and downs. Way more excitement with birdies/bogies than 18 pars.

I had a round last summer where I missed 17 birdie putts, had two 3 putts, and bogied the one hole where I didn’t have a GIR. I walked off the 18th green feeling a bit pissed that I had just thrown about 6 shots away during the round, lol.
I remember you talking about that round! I feel like that was when your putting frustrations really started to get to you/get you motivated to do something about it.

That's what I don't think most would get. It's usually pretty darn frustrating. If you've never par'd a course before, I think it would be exciting and satisfying no matter how you do it. If you have though, you've probably become familiar with making birdies. And par'ing 18 straight usually involves missing a LOT of birdie putts. There could be some great scrambles and par saving putts in there, but it's really hard not to focus on all the missed birdie opportunities when it's all said and done. By hole 14/15 you're thinking 'what do I have to do to get ONE of these to fall?!!' Making bogeys might be frustrating, but it's pretty easy to do. Birdies are harder to come by, and going 0 for however many really builds to some grip clenching frustration. lol I remember you, me, @Canadan , and one other bemoaming this phenomenon in a thread last year. Feels like @Sox_Fan might have done it too, but I can't remember where he stood on it.

Even par'ing them all once has a uniqueness and value to it, imo. @leftshot is now the first person I've ever heard say they'd like to do it again, though. For everyone else I've talked to about it, once was enough.

I remember you talking about that round! I feel like that was when your putting frustrations really started to get to you/get you motivated to do something about it.

That's what I don't think most would get. It's usually pretty darn frustrating. If you've never par'd a course before, I think it would be exciting and satisfying no matter how you do it. If you have though, you've probably become familiar with making birdies. And par'ing 18 straight usually involves missing a LOT of birdie putts. There could be some great scrambles and par saving putts in there, but it's really hard not to focus on all the missed birdie opportunities when it's all said and done. By hole 14/15 you're thinking 'what do I have to do to get ONE of these to fall?!!' Making bogeys might be frustrating, but it's pretty easy to do. Birdies are harder to come by, and going 0 for however many really builds to some grip clenching frustration. lol I remember you, me, @Canadan , and one other bemoaming this phenomenon in a thread last year. Feels like @Sox_Fan might have done it too, but I can't remember where he stood on it.

Even par'ing them all once has a uniqueness and value to it, imo. @leftshot is now the first person I've ever heard say they'd like to do it again, though. For everyone else I've talked to about it, once was enough.

I would be happy to do it once (18 pars) to get it out of my system! Haha

9 birdies and 9 bogeys!!!! At least they would have been some emotion wrapped up in that round...

Much as I'd love to play a round with anything close to your level of ability and consistency, I feel for you. That round had to really sting.

I've never had 18 pars in a round, which would be cool, but I'd DEFINITELY rather have the 9 birdies without hesitation

Gimme 9 birds and 9 bogeys; it shows that I have the potential to go really low. Plus, skin potential!

If I had 9 birdies, and couldn't do better than bogey on all the other holes, I'd be raging so hard hahahaha

18 pars, but both sound absolutely horrible to me hahaha
It depends.. What if you started with 6 straight bogeys then rallied with a run of birdies and a few more bogeys to salvage the round? I think the order would matter some. If I had 9 straight birdies then bogeyed out that would feel like I squandered the round of my life.

It depends.. What if you started with 6 straight bogeys then rallied with a run of birdies and a few more bogeys to salvage the round? I think the order would matter some. If I had 9 straight birdies then bogeyed out that would feel like I squandered the round of my life.
I feel like I'd intentionally miss my birdie on the last hole to at least have some variety :ROFLMAO:

Back