Playing Out of a Divot?

I can never understand why threads like this have so many folk reminding everyone that it's in the rules that you can't move out of a fairway divot.

PLEASE read the thread OP. Everyone who's in here debating it probably knows it's in the rulebooks that you can roll or move your ball :ROFLMAO:

so, divots with no sand in them aren't healing?

It's quite literally the definitely of ground... under.... repair..

By that view, the entire fairway is "repairing" itself from being mowed every day.

Besides, if there's no sand in them (which presumably has grass seed mixed in to grow more grass), then the dirt quite literally is not going to grow new grass any time soon unless someone takes action to repair it.

Did I miss something? Since when can we improve lies in bunkers?
You can remove rocks and sticks and such without moving your ball. Or take a penalty stroke and drop out of the bunker no closer to the hole.

I'd say the key difference is that GUR was likely concocted as a way to deal with ground that was currently undergoing repair. Unfilled divots are most definitely not undergoing repair.

But when people aren't replacing their divots, grounds crew members have to place sand and seed in them and it takes a while for that to fill in if you take divots like I did in college! HAHA

Is all work done on a golf course considered repair? It seems to me like maintenance and repair are two different things. Repairs are non-standard activities, such as doing work on the face of a bunker or fixing a broken sprinkler. Maintenance, however, is routine. I don't think any grounds crew worth its salt would consider filling in divots to be something other than standard maintenance.

But when people aren't replacing their divots, grounds crew members have to place sand and seed in them and it takes a while for that to fill in if you take divots like I did in college! HAHA
What about those courses that don't want the divots replaced?

My ball came to rest in a divot last weekend. I moved it out and over about 5 inches.

Well.....
The rules of golf are fairly simple from what I have been taught and what I have read.
it doesn’t speak of divots.
play it as it lies.
no discretion
No decision
No challenge
No well ya know.....
Play it where you hit it

Well.....
The rules of golf are fairly simple from what I have been taught and what I have read.
it doesn’t speak of divots.
play it as it lies.
no discretion
No decision
No challenge
No well ya know.....
Play it where you hit it

Except there are decisions. Lots of them.
but the question wasn’t “do we know a rule exists”. 😀

By that view, the entire fairway is "repairing" itself from being mowed every day.

Besides, if there's no sand in them (which presumably has grass seed mixed in to grow more grass), then the dirt quite literally is not going to grow new grass any time soon unless someone takes action to repair it.

Except the fairway was cut at a uniform height. This is an indentation in the fairway, or a hole, whatever. The ground is under repair. Hell, they mark tire tracks made by equipment as GUR. I guess it's too hard to consider holes in the fairway also GUR..

Cheaters are always going to find a way to cheat or take advantage of it no matter what the rule is.
I don’t love that some people default to this mindset. And I hate that some people prove it right.

I can never understand why threads like this have so many folk reminding everyone that it's in the rules that you can't move out of a fairway divot.

PLEASE read the thread OP. Everyone who's in here debating it probably knows it's in the rulebooks that you can roll or move your ball :ROFLMAO:
Wait, that’s a real rule? I thought it was a joke.

What about those courses that don't want the divots replaced?

Are these courses cutting and replacing with new sod? There is no way for a divot with sand and seed to grow in a week let alone overnight. Hence if you are ever in a divot, they are trying to repair it.

Golf is a game of self policing. It is what makes the game so wonderful in a lot of ways, however, we also have each other and technology to support what we may not be able to define.

playing out of a divot in a fairway makes less than zero sense to me. It is a fairway and it was designed to be a fairway by the original architect. Not unlike the areas of a course marked GUR due to simple things like bake-out or rain, it should seem quite simple that if a ball is in a divot created by a golf club, it should get relief.

Order of logic required to gain relief;
1- playing stroke play for handicap - player discretion
2- playing matchplay - agreed upon ruling by all parties in match (with tiebreaker going to pro shop)
3- tournament - agreed upon by all competitors in the foursome (with tiebreaker going to pro shop)

Super simple, super easy.
We are supposed to repair our divots. A divot that has yet to be repaired is expected to be repaired. Until said divot has been repaired, that section of the ground is under repair.

We are supposed to repair our divots. A divot that has yet to be repaired is expected to be repaired. Until said divot has been repaired, that section of the ground is under repair.
How is this different from an unraked bunker?

For the tour guys I believe it should be considered GUR and subjected to rules official to determine and confirm.... this may elevate some shady interpretation..... as a hack, I'm out there to have fun, golf is damn hard so if I'm in a FW divot, which has happened only a couple times.... I'll tell my playing partner of my intention to move if the divot is ridiculous.... if they object, I'll tell them to get bent and then take a penalty :ROFLMAO:

Shady golfers will take relief anyways, it isn't stopping them now lol.

In terms of time frame, I think it requires relief until it is fully healed. No indentation, no bare soil, pristine level turf again.

Here, all the courses are winter rules year round anyways. Damaged turf? You get relief, and you get relief, and you get relief!!!!

I absolutely hate when i an in a fairway divot. Last Tuesday, i was in a fairway divot 3/4 ball deep. 130yrd approach shot totally pooched as a result. I would love a rule change, but.....

We all play under the same rules. Sometimes they help and sometimes they hurt. Golf lrules mimic life. Suck it up and persevere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except the fairway was cut at a uniform height. This is an indentation in the fairway, or a hole, whatever. The ground is under repair. Hell, they mark tire tracks made by equipment as GUR. I guess it's too hard to consider holes in the fairway also GUR..
One of the courses I've played often recently has tire tracks through two fairways that weren't marked as GUR. So, they don't always get marked either from ignorance or apathy. I just don't think we get to choose what we think is GUR when there is a procedure in place for that.

I love this answer and cannot agree more

Unquestionably, people would start cheating and abusing it.

Yes, it favors the early players. But so did the rule that didn’t let you tamp down spike marks. Winning on the PGA tour is and should be hard.

It sucks but a bunker is technically a hazard.
Technically it's a bunker - which differs from a penalty area.

Furthermore, the USGA refers to "replacing divots" while it also refers to "repairing ball marks." It does not mention "repairing divots."

Back