Trying to Break 80 Club

39/38=77 today. Driver was pretty good, misses where all playable and I think that is key for sure. Irons where strong, and the putter was really good with 30 putts.

40/39=79 yesterday. Pretty happy with that in the high winds.

Trying to break 80. Just played my last round 81 and my last 9 at 38. Feels like it’s getting close.

Going into this season, I wanted to break 80 more frequently. I have been in the high 70's a few times and definitely more than in the past. My main problem is that I see no places where I'm losing bundles of strokes, so the hard work has to start now to refine. This is going to be tough to keep dropping.

Going into this season, I wanted to break 80 more frequently. I have been in the high 70's a few times and definitely more than in the past. My main problem is that I see no places where I'm losing bundles of strokes, so the hard work has to start now to refine. This is going to be tough to keep dropping.
Just a couple thoughts:

Could be from a missed fairway that you can't get to the green from.
Chips around the green that you end up 2 putting.
That is where I generally lose mine, but not always.

Just a couple thoughts:

Not a frequent 80 breaker, but, I do know where I throw away strokes unnecessarily. Course strategy.

Quite often what should have been a sub 80 round has been blown up trying hero shots instead of the more prudent safe shot. I find I score better when I play to just get back in the fairway from the tress and shoot for the middle of the green on approaches.

I’ll have an 87 hitting 10 of 14 fairways and 30 putts, yet only hit 5 greens, frequently short siding myself because I went for the flag, or lost 3 strokes getting out of the trees on 2 holes because of the hero attempts.

When I get the ego out of the way, not worry about total score, focus on the shot at hand and pay attention to the best location for approaching the green, then I score my best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a couple thoughts:

Those greenside chips could reduce a few strokes a round for sure. I'm trying to use technology to better track things and identify those areas that need improvement .

Interesting. I'm in a similar scoring place but clearly see where I am losing strokes. Do you play different types of courses? Some courses expose my weaknesses more than others. I used to avoid them for that reason but now seek them out to learn and improve.

My current challenges: #1 I need to putt better. Arccos disagrees and I do have good putting days, but overall I see a handful of unnecessary putts every round that should be fixable. #2 I get tense when I play. I want to score better, and that pressure and tension messes with my tempo, timing, and focus. #3 I make too many course management mistakes. I need to make better approach shot decisions and miss in better places. #4 I have to get better at recovery shots: punching a low shot through trees, curving the ball around an obstacle, hitting a pitch from an extreme downhill lie, managing the impossible downhill putt for the next putt, and so on.

Last edited:
It would be helpful for those of us following this thread if you guys would post the rating and the slope of the courses that you are playing. Definitely gives interesting context to the conversation since the difficulty of a course plays a huge role in one's ability to shoot low scores. :)

I get tense when I play. I want to score better, and that pressure and tension messes with my tempo, timing, and focus.
This is exactly what gets me, though my reasoning may be a little different. I only have one, maybe two days a week to play so when I'm out there, I really want to throw up a good score. After the first sign of trouble, I start getting tense. Then after a couple more mistakes, I know I have to most likely wait until the next weekend to play and my game just goes out the window.

It would be helpful for those of us following this thread if you guys would post the rating and the slope of the courses that you are playing. Definitely gives interesting context to the conversation since the difficulty of a course plays a huge role in one's ability to shoot low scores. :)

Some recent scores across 4 different courses (ratings, distances for tees I played):

Course 1: 72.5/137 - 6781 yards
80, 85, 81, 80, 78

Course 2: 70.4/119 - 6088 yards (my home course)
83, 79, 83, 80, 75

Course 3: 72/129 - 6565 yards (tournament with hard setup)

Course 4: 71.9/123 - 6770 yards

I need a rematch with courses 3 and 4. Trees and layout were tough for first round. I think I will play better having played them once.

Well, I agree and disagree. If you are breaking 80 anywhere, you are a decent golfer. Anyway, my last three below 80 are 70.2/135 and 69.5/134 and 71.1/136

My last 2 where 72/116 from 6250 and previous was a 70/133 from 6270.
I get much past that yardage and it is a struggle because of short drives.

The thing to remember though is it isn't all about the ratings. You could be on a course you have never played and don't know where to play your shots, the angles to play. Course management is key wherever you play, and staying relaxed!!!!! If you cannot stay relaxed during a round, or you start pressing because you bogeyed the last hole you won't break 80 very often.

Some recent scores across 4 different courses (ratings, distances for tees I played):

Course 1: 72.5/137 - 6781 yards
80, 85, 81, 80, 78

Course 2: 70.4/119 - 6088 yards (my home course)
83, 79, 83, 80, 75

Course 3: 72/129 - 6565 yards (tournament with hard setup)

Course 4: 71.9/123 - 6770 yards

I need a rematch with courses 3 and 4. Trees and layout were tough for first round. I think I will play better having played them once.
I don't believe any of those are Old Works...

My last three rounds have been in the low eighties so I am hoping to break 80 here pretty soon. My chipping and putting have gotten better recently. If I could hit fairways more often I would be in the seventies consistently.

Played yesterday afternoon 68.5/129 course, ended with 87. Mostly due to three lost balls on the front, two on one hole. Some tight driving windows I'm still trying to figure out what club to hit from the tee. Swing was a bit off too due to a sore hip. I was just happy to be playing.

84 yesterday. 41, 43.

2 birdies, but only 3 fairways hit.

3 putted twice from make able birdie putts. Plus some bad course management on 2 holes which led to doubles.

Could have been the round I broke 80, but not meant to be.

I usually play the senior tees, but played the middle tees yesterday. Shot an 82 with three triples, lol :rolleyes:
That sounds like 15 holes of damn good golf!

Interesting point. My last few rounds ( newest rounds first ) with slope ratings.

Score Course Rating/Slope
83 70.5/133
77 70.9/130
81 66.8/109
78 70.2/129
83 69.1/120
80 68.6/118

Playing the course where I learned the game on Sunday with my parents. It’s punishing if you can’t stay out of trouble. I’ll be on the SkyTrak working on my stay out of trouble game this week to see if I can give it a run this weekend.

Came this close Saturday. Shot an 81, and that was with missing two four foot birdie putts.

This weekend, I shot 88, 86, 81. Prior to this, I was averaging over 95 for the past few months. It was terrible.

Back