Trying to Break 80 Club

Day 2 of my 5-round goal: 80 (40/40). Close but no cigar today. I hit better approach shots than I did yesterday but struggled putting. 37 putts today (vs. 30 yesterday). Quite a few mis-reads. I like my overall scoring consistency this year and need to keep working on the little things.

Was paired with a group of older guys (meaning they were my age to a little bit older ;)). They are part of a group of 6 that has played together for years. I definitely felt like an outsider. Good test for my mental strength, which is as much a part of my 5-round goal as anything else. I stayed nicely relaxed and focused while keeping a friendly engagement with them.
I'm calling that a victory with the bolded. Always a trying time playing when you are the "outsider". Well done.

Three days in with the five day goal: 79, 80, 80 (courses: Bridger Creek, Bridger Creek, Black Bull). Two more to go. Tomorrow will be a round on a private course called Riverside. Couple of thoughts.
  • Each day I have scored (and failed to score) in very different ways. I just have to fight with the game I have that day, which seems to be a different mix every day.
  • After front nine today (43), I thought I was going to shoot 90. Never give up.
  • Course management is a thing.
  • I am happy with the round-to-round consistency in scoring.
  • Scoring lower in a meaningful way will take a lot more focus.

Last edited:
42/37=79 Got it done with a good back nine. Short game and putter came alive.

42/37=79 Got it done with a good back nine. Short game and putter came alive.

Nicely done!

I snuck out for a quick 9 after work and was dialed in... until the lightning chased me off the course on the 6th tee. Sigh.

Ball striking is really solid. I hit 3 of 4 fairways and 3 of 5 greens. My distances are a little janky; need to nail them down and I’ll start scoring.

My last few rounds have been mid 80s. I’m getting closer to having a game that breaks 80 but a) still do just enough dumb stuff to add stupid strokes; and b) really need to tighten up my short game. If I continue to have time to play/practice I think this may well happen this summer.

82 yesterday. Had an OB and missed some short birdie putts. I seem to lose my swing confidence for a couple holes every round. So I start with my steering swing.. Trust isn't completely there.

Shot 39 today on a short 9-hole track. Putted well which saved me. I've been hitting my irons like complete crap lately.

Well my five rounds in row goal was fun and informative but only sub 80 once: 79,80,80,84,83. I played 3 different courses and struggled the last 2 rounds. I like that I put pressure on myself. That’s where the learning happens, I hope. 😎

Lots of good game benchmarking to focus my practice this week. I’ll repeat this goal/test later this summer. I expect very different outcomes. I’m optimistic like that. ☕

I’m playing in a tourney later today. The weather is supposed to be terrible which is going to make it especially hard.

Well my five rounds in row goal was fun and informative but only sub 80 once: 79,80,80,84,83. I played 3 different courses and struggled the last 2 rounds. I like that I put pressure on myself. That’s where the learning happens, I hope. 😎

Lots of good game benchmarking to focus my practice this week. I’ll repeat this goal/test later this summer. I expect very different outcomes. I’m optimistic like that. ☕
Still 5 good rounds of golf, and you challenged yourself. (y)

I’m playing in a tourney later today. The weather is supposed to be terrible which is going to make it especially hard.
Looks rainy that way. I'm bummed we had to cancel the Bandon trip :confused:

I had a great time, even when I was in forestry mode 🌲🌲🌳 on Thurs. 😎
Forestry mode, I like that one. Just watch out for those big bears up there.

Seems like if I play the 6,000 +/- 200 yd tees and I am swinging half decent it all comes down to the Putter to break 80. Story of this crazy game getting all the parts to work at the same time.

Had an eventful round today....

Played at a mates course today and finished with a 79 (par 70) so played to my handicap

Almost had my first hole in one on the par 3 3rd hole, lost 2 balls and finished with double bogeys on those particular holes after being 3 off the tee for each of them (both par 5s)

Without those 2 lost balls it could have been 4 shots better

In terms of time, we walked the round in under 3 hours without rushing at all

Edit - added pic from phone

20200530_110947.jpg

Had an eventful round today....

Played at a mates course today and finished with a 79 (par 70) so played to my handicap

Almost had my first hole in one on the par 3 3rd hole, lost 2 balls and finished with double bogeys on those particular holes after being 3 off the tee for each of them (both par 5s)

Without those 2 lost balls it could have been 4 shots better

In terms of time, we walked the round in under 3 hours without rushing at all

Edit - added pic from phone

View attachment 8946491
Great round Doc. and nice shot.

Great round Doc. and nice shot.
Cheers

At one point I wasn't sure if it was in or not as due to the sunlight and shadows I couldn't see where it had finished, but I knew it was close due to where it landed and the spin and contour of the green

Just a bit frustrated with the double bogeys due to lost balls, but it says something when I have played to my handicap and I am not happy :D

82 yesterday. A few chunks cost me. I also need to make some putts longer than 4 feet. :ROFLMAO:

Got scary close yesterday. A literal choke on 18 tee box cost me 3 strokes and caused me to finish with an 81. ITs gonna happen!

You'll get it.

Got scary close yesterday. A literal choke on 18 tee box cost me 3 strokes and caused me to finish with an 81. ITs gonna happen!
Next time out you will get it done.

I posted in the 'What did you shoot' thread, but had a disappointing 84 yesterday, although had issues with my back nerve/muscle problem that prevented me from swinging properly and 3 lost balls lead to double bogeys on each of those holes

Stretching and Ibuprofen today and tomorrow before playing tomorrow night (hopefully)

Knocking on the 80 door... best 9 holes in 4 years yesterday:

1B517EB9-4D71-4776-A159-A03208039A05.jpeg

I remember when I was posting in the trying to break 100 club a couple of years ago. All the work I've put in has got me here now. I shot an 86 yesterday and played "like crap" I thought. If I were to shoot an 86 2 years ago it would be the round of my life. I need a better attitude when the ball isn't always doing what I want.:cool:

Back