Spyglass Hill 6/28 - What will Heez shoot?

TheHeez

Reaction score
Handicap
The Pebble Beach resorts are doing a pretty smoking deal for the NCGA (Northern CA Golf Association) and myself & three friends are playing Spyglass Hill next Sunday morning. I have never played the course and thought it would be fun to have a little banter, perhaps some folks could provide advice and then have folks guess my score. I will be updating during the round and hope to share some pics as we walk the course.

The Rules - Tell me what you think I will shoot on the front/back. The total score will be the winner, but the front/back will be used for tie breakers.

The Prize - I will get you something fancy from the pro shop (better than a beer coaster, not as good as a custom staff bag).

The Course - We will be playing from the Gold tees which are 6,538 yards and rated 73.3/140 (scorecard), so a stout test.

My Game - Golf has been inconsistent for me lately. Ever since my son came along (2.5+ years ago), I have not been playing as much. I've been keeping my handicap active and am currently a 10.7. I was working on my game earlier in the year in anticipation of my since canceled trip to Bandon Dunes and I have played maybe 7 rounds year to date. Driver has been decent lately, I usually drive well to start and then start losing a few right as the round progresses. Currently my strengths are my irons and fairway woods. My short game has been questionable, but I always tend to putt well. I'm no long hitter but can move the ball. My goal is to break 90, but I hear the course is a bear and under 100 is probably more realistic.

So what do you think I will shoot? Be sure to check in on the 28th, tee time is at 10:10a PST.

06SPY15-1mm0062Hc-ed-900x600.jpg

Good luck and enjoy it! Looks like it will be a real test. I'll go with a guess of 47/48 = 95.

Oh this should be fun to follow! I'll go 48/46 = 94. I hope you break 90 though!

45-44 for an 89. If wind is up, the front 9 may balloon to a 48

The Pebble Beach resorts are doing a pretty smoking deal for the NCGA (Northern CA Golf Association) and myself & three friends are playing Spyglass Hill next Sunday morning. I have never played the course and thought it would be fun to have a little banter, perhaps some folks could provide advice and then have folks guess my score. I will be updating during the round and hope to share some pics as we walk the course.

The Rules - Tell me what you think I will shoot on the front/back. The total score will be the winner, but the front/back will be used for tie breakers.

The Prize - I will get you something fancy from the pro shop (better than a beer coaster, not as good as a custom staff bag).

The Course - We will be playing from the Gold tees which are 6,538 yards and rated 73.3/140 (scorecard), so a stout test.

My Game - Golf has been inconsistent for me lately. Ever since my son came along (2.5+ years ago), I have not been playing as much. I've been keeping my handicap active and am currently a 10.7. I was working on my game earlier in the year in anticipation of my since canceled trip to Bandon Dunes and I have played maybe 7 rounds year to date. Driver has been decent lately, I usually drive well to start and then start losing a few right as the round progresses. Currently my strengths are my irons and fairway woods. My short game has been questionable, but I always tend to putt well. I'm no long hitter but can move the ball. My goal is to break 90, but I hear the course is a bear and under 100 is probably more realistic.

So what do you think I will shoot? Be sure to check in on the 28th, tee time is at 10:10a PST.

06SPY15-1mm0062Hc-ed-900x600.jpg
Tough course you have on your hands
I say 43-44 TOTAL 87

It's a decent track ;)

I'll guess 86 (44/42)!

Hope y'all enjoy yourselves out there!

Sounds amazing and I wish you the best of luck.

91 43/48

Have fun! Wish I could get out to the west coast to play some of these beautiful courses.

42/48 = 90 :golf2:

Enjoy! 46/42 88.

46/46 for a 92

Nice gesture! Have a great time!

First off, have a blast!

I hear this one is tough...

I am going to go with: 49/46 for a respectable 95

Good luck! Enjoy and take some pictures!

49/47 = 96

43-44/87. have fun!

Spyglass is hard. Really hard! It’s also the best of the Pebble Courses, by quite a margin.

I say TheHeez might be a little overwhelmed by the awesomeness to start off but steps up big to keep it under 90 down the stretch. 47/42 for 89.

Important questions from the peanut gallery:

Are you taking a caddie?
What's the presumed weather forecast going to be?
What's your current miss and how does that set up for the course?

Important questions from the peanut gallery:

Are you taking a caddie?
What's the presumed weather forecast going to be?
What's your current miss and how does that set up for the course?

Lots of good guesses so far and I fear most of you are far too kind.

I am not taking a caddie as they currently only allow a forecaddie for the group and it just doesn’t seem worth it.

Weather forecast is a little early but I would guess high 60s, wind building to 8-10 and it’s The Peninsula so it could be sunny or raining.

My current miss is a pulled iron. But I’m gonna get that sorted out with a couple range sessions this coming week. Off the tee it’s a pushed driver and that will not bode well as the forest swallows golf balls.

I will say 93 but hope for less. That is such a great course, have a good round

91 46/45
Thanks for the opportunity!

Last edited:
Lots of good guesses so far and I fear most of you are far too kind.

I am not taking a caddie as they currently only allow a forecaddie for the group and it just doesn’t seem worth it.

Weather forecast is a little early but I would guess high 60s, wind building to 8-10 and it’s The Peninsula so it could be sunny or raining.

My current miss is a pulled iron. But I’m gonna get that sorted out with a couple range sessions this coming week. Off the tee it’s a pushed driver and that will not bode well as the forest swallows golf balls.

Forecaddie is a caddie. He’s gonna be giving you sight lines, yardages, and green reads :)

89 - 46/43

Forecaddie is a caddie. He’s gonna be giving you sight lines, yardages, and green reads :)

89 - 46/43

Yeah but with the restrictions in place it doesn’t seem worth the coin. I’m the high capper in our group and none of us have been playing much. Because it’s a group thing we decided it just didn’t make sense.

It’s either get a caddie or get someone on THP something cool! All should be sure to add a few strokes for me flying blind.

Good Luck! 41/43 - 84

Have an absolute blast. I wish I would have taken the advantage & played Spyglass last time I was out there and played Pebble.

Hit them well...I am going with 43/42 - for 85.

Back