Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

Did you find any difference in feel between the raw and chrome? I thought they said raw were made differently.
To be honest, I wasnt paying close attention and the range had different balls, so one was soft then the next was a rock.

Two rounds in with the 54W. That def knocked the PM54 out. Just so good on full swings and chip shots vs. the PM54.

60X did not knockout the PM58. Hit each chip and green side shot/flop/dig out with both. The PM was the clear winner for me with feel, weighting, and center contact. And just so much better in the deep rough at my course. Like the 60X, but just not as good or versatile as the PM for me on those touch shots/flops around the green. I can make mistakes with the PM and get a good results. I have to be spot on with the 60X or it's a poor result.

Love chipping with the 50° around the greens and playing low runners on long chips. Hit a couple that checked up to soon and didn't' roll out but was able to make the putt. had several today that i went just outside the hole and didn't fall.

Two rounds in with the 54W. That def knocked the PM54 out. Just so good on full swings and chip shots vs. the PM54.

60X did not knockout the PM58. Hit each chip and green side shot/flop/dig out with both. The PM was the clear winner for me with feel, weighting, and center contact. And just so much better in the deep rough at my course. Like the 60X, but just not as good or versatile as the PM for me on those touch shots/flops around the green. I can make mistakes with the PM and get a good results. I have to be spot on with the 60X or it's a poor result.
Same here. My 60X Jaws is for sale since my PM Grind is just unbeatable around the green.

Can't decide on new wedges. Leaning towards Jaws because I think the grind options suite me better.

Here is what I'm thinking:

50: S or W grind. 90% of my shots are full swing in this spot.

54: X or W. Most shots here are with a square face. Full shots and square face pitches.

58: Low W is what I'm eye balling here. Think it would be great for bunkers and otherwise. I do the most with this wedge around the greens.

Thoughts?

My setup from the GD was 50s/54s/58LowW.
50 is mainly a full swing club.
54 is also full swing, but I'll use it greenside, esp out of rough.
58 was bunker club and from tighter greenside lies.

I recently got the 50 and 54 in raw and switched the 58LowW for a 60x.
I never used the 58 on full swings and wanted the high lofted option for delicate shots around the green
Being in southern Louisiana we play in typically softer conditions and the more bounce and versatility of the X to open it up has been better for me than the LowW.
The X is also really good out of the bunker. I compare the Callaway X grind to the Vokey D grind IMO, kind of a players high bounce option.

I love the jaws grey and haven’t noticed any lack of spin lately. I think my only desire is wanting to go back to playing with a 60 instead of a 58. But that’s not an issue with the jaws wedges.

My setup from the GD was 50s/54s/58LowW.
50 is mainly a full swing club.
54 is also full swing, but I'll use it greenside, esp out of rough.
58 was bunker club and from tighter greenside lies.

I recently got the 50 and 54 in raw and switched the 58LowW for a 60x.
I never used the 58 on full swings and wanted the high lofted option for delicate shots around the green
Being in southern Louisiana we play in typically softer conditions and the more bounce and versatility of the X to open it up has been better for me than the LowW.
The X is also really good out of the bunker. I compare the Callaway X grind to the Vokey D grind IMO, kind of a players high bounce option.
How do you like the raw? Any difference to chrome?

How do you like the raw? Any difference to chrome?

Obviously mine haven’t started to rust yet since I just got them. They look more grey than chrome which I like. It really reduces the glare and shine on those sunny days. Here are a few in hand pics.

Shoutout to @jeffneubarth for the recommendation on the 60x!

Attachments

• 81186776-A89B-4B09-916F-4E1389423309.jpeg
    81186776-A89B-4B09-916F-4E1389423309.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 19
  • 6A6BCA52-D765-457F-92AF-0BCE579E9772.jpeg
    6A6BCA52-D765-457F-92AF-0BCE579E9772.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 46559B20-C365-403B-B011-70F5FB9B4C5B.jpeg
    46559B20-C365-403B-B011-70F5FB9B4C5B.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 8BD3EAA4-861C-44E2-BE15-CCA964F7463E.jpeg
    8BD3EAA4-861C-44E2-BE15-CCA964F7463E.jpeg
    51.5 KB · Views: 17

This only increases the ponder. I've been thinking about replacing my 58S with a 58 PM Grind. I only use the 58 around the green and out of bunkers, almost never take a full swing with it.

Just purchased and brought home the Jaws 56*S and the 60*X
I was able to hit them in my bay at home and was very pleasantly surprised.
I was playing the Ping Glide 3.0 56 and 60 but felt something was lacking and "unstable". Not a bad thing but the club head length from heal to toe was a bit longer than I like and during a swing and impact the toe seemed to "dip". I don't know how else to describe it. Excellent wedges with a crap ton of spin but I couldn't get past the "dip" feeling. I could still play the Pings everyday if I wanted to.

Thankful once again for all the reviews of the MD5 Jaws wedges and their personal thoughts and outcomes. Sooooo useful!

Jaws in the bag!
(y);)(y)

I don't know if it is the grooves or going back to steel shafts in my wedges, but my short game (actually even full shots with the 54° and 58°) had never been better!

This only increases the ponder. I've been thinking about replacing my 58S with a 58 PM Grind. I only use the 58 around the green and out of bunkers, almost never take a full swing with it.
Same here. I only do low pitches and sand with my lob. Pondering PM grind or md5 x grind.

So looking at patterns in my Arccos data now that I have a decent amount of rounds in, I noticed across my game, my wedge play is showing to be my strength along with driving, oddly enough. Considering last year chipping was THE. WORST. part of my game, this is a big swing. I credit this to both getting fit and the MD5's themselves. If you bet me $100 a year ago that the strongest part of my game in June would be wedges, I would have lost $100. If I could just hit a damn green with my approach, I might be dangerous.

Absolutely loving the wedges.

1592336179860.png

these wedges continue to be a lot of fun. today was actually a very decent day with them. i had a few full and partial swings to greens that i hit very well with excellent spin, and some greenside shots that came off pretty much as intended.

i continue to struggle a lot out of the bunkers. i know my technique and execution need work, but i’ve hit several shots i think are good based on feel at impact only to see them come out really fast and long. i wonder if anyone else with x grind is seeing that?

For Snowman:

For my home course the PM 58 is the clear winner. Lots of banked chip shots that you have to get up or flop to get it close. I liked the Jaws 60x just fine, but it did not excel on my home track. Could bag it no problem, but it wasn't versatile or forgiving enough to make the bag. Also for me, missing high on the PM in deep rough is actually a shot saver instead of a miss. Can't say that with the Jaws.

And you just can't beat the KBS Hi Rev shaft that comes with the PM. Really smooth, but energetic also.

Last edited:
For Snowman:

For my home course the PM 58 is the clear winner. Lots of banked chip shot that you have to get up or flop to get it close. I liked the Jaws 60x just fine, but it did not excel on my home track. Could bag it no problem, but it wasn't versital or forgiving enough to make the bag. Also for me, missing high on the PM in deep rough is actually a shot saver instead of a miss. Can't say that with the Jaws.

I agree with you. That high miss on the PM Grind is almost a weapon.

I hit the 54 S grind more than any other club in my bag. 100 yards is the number I try to lay up to and a smooth 54* is the shot. I can choke down on it and hit the tweeners with ease. I have to give it a little extra power on the 60 - 80 yard shots because it grabs quick and checks up.

For Snowman:

For my home course the PM 58 is the clear winner. Lots of banked chip shots that you have to get up or flop to get it close. I liked the Jaws 60x just fine, but it did not excel on my home track. Could bag it no problem, but it wasn't versatile or forgiving enough to make the bag. Also for me, missing high on the PM in deep rough is actually a shot saver instead of a miss. Can't say that with the Jaws.

And you just can't beat the KBS Hi Rev shaft that comes with the PM. Really smooth, but energetic also.
Thanks for the response, I appreciate the input. Just ordered the 58° PM - I've been seriously pondering it for a while, time to take the plunge!

🔥

I had some fun with these wedges in my round this week. Some unexpected confidence crept into the short game and I had some nice up-and-downs. One greenside shot that sticks out in my mind was on #10. I ended up in a tough spot. The ball was below my feet, green surface elevated. I hit a square-faced chip with the 60*. My playing partner immediately started saying "stop!" like it was coming in too hot and going to roll out over the green, but as soon as it hit the surface it took one hop and grabbed hard, trickling out to a couple feet for par.

Full swings were really good too. Excellent spin.

Still struggling hard out of the sand though, which has been a theme the entire time I've had these wedges. Even when the contact doesn't feel too thin/close to the ball, the shot comes out flat and so hot. Not sure if that's all me, or something about the X grind working against me.

Still struggling hard out of the sand though, which has been a theme the entire time I've had these wedges. Even when the contact doesn't feel too thin/close to the ball, the shot comes out flat and so hot. Not sure if that's all me, or something about the X grind working against me.

20200614_085956.jpg

I played this course last weekend that had the best sand I have seen since the Hideaway. I was 3 for 3 getting out of the sand with two of them being nice high soft landing shots. The 58 X grind has been very versatile for me. Having twelve degrees of bounce you would think it would not be great for opening up the face and hitting flops but I practice those shots constantly and it works well.

I am actually prefer the steel over the Recoils in my wedges. Different feel but in a good way.

What texture sands? In medium to firmer sands I struggle with the 60X. It still has a lot of bounce, but I prefer the PM60 for those.

First round with the MD5 Jaws 56*S and 60*X wedges. I only had one full 56* shot into a green and the shot held really well within 1ft of the pitch. One hop and stop. Dart throwing action. Had several 60*X wedge chips (off the greens) and a partial flop which I could control quite well. Spin was not a problem but I will say that it seems a bit lesser spinny than the Ping 3.0 glides HOWEVER the MD5 wedges felt 100 times more stable in the downswing and the impact. Don't get me wrong though, the Jaws wedges have plenty of spin and I didn't have many opportunities to try the full shots with either wedges.
The Jaws wedges feel very solid and I have an instant comfort level using them. I feel I can control them very easily. I can tell they will be in the bag for a while. Very happy with the choice and purchase.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Back