TaylorMade SIM Drivers

Finally saw a Sim max in hand today.. honestly can't tell the difference between my regular sim and the max if they aren't side by side.
I actually wouldn't have minded if they sent me the max back for my M5 ... I wouldn't mind the extra forgiveness and less of a fade thing going on

Hit the Sim max on the range after my round and was impressed . Smash factor was 1.53 . Spin was 1900 ball speed 153 and SS 109. It was pound town for me .

Hit the Sim max on the range after my round and was impressed . Smash factor was 1.53 . Spin was 1900 ball speed 153 and SS 109. It was pound town for me .
Not being critical, but what monitor? That ball speed for that swing speed is a little low, especially with a smash so astronomically high.

Those numbers dont compute.
Should be closer to 1.4 smash factor.

Those numbers dont compute.
Should be closer to 1.4 smash factor.
My thoughts precisely, something is off, either smash or SS, because the ball speed is too low for either.

Not knocking enjoyment of a club, just curious about the data.

Not being critical, but what monitor? That ball speed for that swing speed is a little low, especially with a smash so astronomically high.

The math says ball speed of 153 and smash factor of 1.53 would be club speed of 100.

The math says ball speed of 153 and smash factor of 1.53 would be club speed of 100.
Regardless. Something just seems off there, now don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking anything here, it’s just stood out to me.

I also traded in both Cobra drivers for a Max with the 150% you reminded me of so I sort of hate you right now Craig.

And yes that was before I got the EXS 220 Pro :ROFLMAO:

Regardless. Something just seems off there, now don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking anything here, it’s just stood out to me.

I also traded in both Cobra drivers for a Max with the 150% you reminded me of so I sort of hate you right now Craig.

And yes that was before I got the EXS 220 Pro :ROFLMAO:

Agreed on the nobody is knocking anybody or anything.

And, yes, I am sort of evil when it comes to volume acquisition. :oops:

Max performed well again today, averaging 245 on my drives, that’s 20+ yds more than my best drives with my previous driver so it’s a huge difference. I’m finding new areas of the courses I usually play

I hit my dads max 3w off the deck to try it out and blistered one about 220 just short of a green on a par 5. I am seriously thinking of adding that 3w to the bag now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really liking the Max, especially the Twist Face. With an occasional heel-ish miss, the ball has stayed in the fairway and still made it out to 270 or so whereas with the previous G410, I'd be shorter and well right. Solid contact, and they go even further. Mine's cut down 3/4”, and thankfully Billy Bob's makes aftermarket weights, so I replaced the stock 16g with their 19g: playing it at a D1 and it feels fantastic (overall head weight is about 195g).

Last edited:
Picked up a Sim Max and plugged in my old faithful DI-7x. I'm excited to see if this can wake me from my tee game slumber.
20200621_203449.jpg20200621_202055.jpg

1 range session with SIM Max and I'm extremely excited for where this can go.

First of all, let me just say that I am typically difficult to impress when it comes to equipment and new tech. I've become quite cynical over the years and my knee-jerk reaction to marketing and tech claims is that's is a lot of mumbo jumbo with just enough truth sprinkled in to avoid backlash.

But tonight's range session with SIM Max was something special for me. Effortless height, effortless accuracy combined with a really great feel. I would hit a dozen balls in a row with exactly the same flight and shape - which is basically Haley's Comet for me. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves...it needs to perform on the course before we can see if it replaces the Flash.
And don't get me wrong - I was ripping the Flash tonight as well. But with my swing right now I have to consciously work to keep the Flash from going left, whereas the SIM Max just seems to cling to it's starting line. I don't think I'm seeing any ball speed differences, not to the naked eye at least.

Anyways, after a slew of bad purchases and failed experiments, the SIM Max was a breath of fresh air and it was extremely fun to experience a "honeymoon period" again even if it was just for one night.

Here's a couple vids. First vid is my first swing with the club. 2nd is me trying to get after it a little. As always, watch at your own risk hehe.

The SIM driver head has certainly gotten a lot of press this year. The weight system has been simplified and the sole of the club reminds you more of a Cobra than anything we have seen out of TM. Of course the twist face is back.. which always sounds silly to me.

The top of the driver certainly has one of the classiest looks in golf. Looks like a tuxedo on a driver. The white top line has been around for a while but this SIM driver does it to perfection. Add that to the very visible carbon fiber crown section makes this head so pleasing to the eye.

I was not a fan of the M5 in terms of feel but the SIM wipes that head from my mind. A very pleasant sound/feel of a crushed ball fills your head. The sound and feel sort of seem to be dependent upon one another. The Thwack... has replaced the all titanium ping as the sound of preference for me. Kind of hard to explain but seems so pronounced with the SIM.

Early in the season I did a lot of head to head testing with identical shafts in 3 different driver heads. KE4 TC, M5 and the SIM. The aero on the SIM most definitely works. It had the highest club head speed of all three by 2-3 mph. The result was repeated over three different sessions. The Pro I know who is on TM staff has seen a 3 mph jump. For him thats quite a lot as he had the longest setup of his career in last years M5. Its so humbling to play with him as his ball sails 30-40 yards past my puny 280-285y drives.
This driver has been in my bag for about 10 rounds now. It has proven to be more consistent than any setup I've had in such a long time. Consistency was not a traight I was expecting from the SIM at all. Sure TM for me in the past has been very long but striaght didn't equate. M5 was LONG.... but left and righr. This one has really surprised me.
And I'm just getting used to it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

First of all, let me just say that I am typically difficult to impress when it comes to equipment and new tech. I've become quite cynical over the years and my knee-jerk reaction to marketing and tech claims is that's is a lot of mumbo jumbo with just enough truth sprinkled in to avoid backlash.

But tonight's range session with SIM Max was something special for me. Effortless height, effortless accuracy combined with a really great feel. I would hit a dozen balls in a row with exactly the same flight and shape - which is basically Haley's Comet for me. But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves...it needs to perform on the course before we can see if it replaces the Flash.
And don't get me wrong - I was ripping the Flash tonight as well. But with my swing right now I have to consciously work to keep the Flash from going left, whereas the SIM Max just seems to cling to it's starting line. I don't think I'm seeing any ball speed differences, not to the naked eye at least.

Anyways, after a slew of bad purchases and failed experiments, the SIM Max was a breath of fresh air and it was extremely fun to experience a "honeymoon period" again even if it was just for one night.
This is exciting stuff! I’m really curious to see if it keeps up, which, based on the Sim Max feedback out there, I think it just might.

Love updates like this, keep em coming!

I'm mean that all sounds pretty damn promising.

I'm mean that all sounds pretty damn promising.
The feedback on the Max out and about is just pretty consistently stellar.

The feedback on the Max out and about is just pretty consistently stellar.

Really has been. Sounds like TM made one heck of a driver here. Whether they innovated the tech behind it or not.

I think there’s more going on than it’s been given credit for honestly

Here's a couple vids. First vid is my first swing with the club. 2nd is me trying to get after it a little. As always, watch at your own risk hehe.

I mean, come on! Those are straight laser beams

What do you mean
I mean the hangup, myself included, initially was the shape looking like an F9, but I think there are more things going on than just that which it’s not getting a lot of credit for around here until more recently.

There usually is.
True that. I just know there’s been more consistently positive feedback out of the Max than we have seen since, what, the M2?

Back