I'm curious how so? Do you have an android or iphone?
Android. The base functioning works well enough. I don't like the phone in my pocket. I don't like the sensors on the clubs. It's hard to remember to check the strokes after every hole. Getting better at adding/adjusting strokes but still not intuitive. Not able to hit practice shots/putts without screwing things up. Some people do great with it but it just takes me out of some of the enjoyment. 🤷‍♂️

I have posted many times that I’m a data guy. I really like Arccos and using other apps like Golf Logic to see the bends and breaks on greens is really fascinating stuff. The fact that my head used to say I can hit a 7i 160, but my system says 148 shows me often why I find myself too short on many occasions. I am still too short many times being stubborn or just more comfortable trying to hit the shorter iron over long. Where I think the data is best, if really used, is looking at your game for what to practice on range and what clubs are your money clubs.

When I play fun rounds with my partners and family I am not going in trying to analyze the holes on optimal scoring. I am generally just having fun. So, driver is coming out in virtually every hole. I am going to go for it on most occasions, because that one hole I hit a hero shot makes for great talk after the round.

When I play seriously, the data can really show up in helping to maximize my score and show me where to improve. That’s what I have been taking to the range lately.

For a data head like myself, I love looking and analyzing everything to get better. Love watching in between rounds as you do improve. But, I also understand too much reliance on data can take the fun out of playing. Sometimes you just wanna grip it and rip it.

I'm with @Sox_Fan... I play a lot by feel & visualization. I don't really get into statistics. Just give me a number & I'll hit the shot. Call me old school I guess, but all of these devices that keep track of your stats, tell you what club to hit, tell you your misses, etc. are just not necessary for me. I have a brand new box of Arrcos grips sitting in the Nut Cave, have been for about 6 months. Never has it crossed my mind to put them on. I play some rounds without even looking at the SkyCaddie or using the Bushnell laser. I grew up playing way before all of this technology & I guess it's engraved in how I continue to play.

I like to look at my numbers after the round, but I don't heavily analyze them. Sometimes the stats are better than the score and vice versa.

I love it. I mean if you are someone who is actively trying to improve I think this is a must. If you're just enjoying an occasional round with buddies then maybe not. But even something as seeing the actual % of time you miss a green short may change your club selection and improve your scores..

I've really liked my Garmin watch that automatically tracks my shots. The only thing I have to do is tell it what club I hit when it detects a shot, and when i input my score, how many putts, fairway result, and penalties. It is very quick and easy. I was just looking at my data off of the tee, and I was surprised to see my dispersion being down the middle. I don't know if that is because I play for the fade and aim down the left side, but it is interesting data.

I want as much data as possible. I’ve been using arccos for nearly 3 years now and game golf before that. I love seeing trends through data that are contrary to what I might think. For example, I thought that my driver was killing me because it was mostly going left but I’m clearly focusing on a few shots in my mind because the numbers don’t show that. It also shows that over the last 8 rounds, my chipping has been very subpar.

If the ShotScope / Arccos etc. are at a point where you don't need to do anything during the round and the correction you need to do in the end are minimal I might be interested.

Currently I have a very good understanding on my distances for all clubs so for me it's more about strokes gained type of analysis and what holes I am fudging things on. I manually gather my hole by hole score and some basic stats such as GIR, 3-putts, penalties, 2-chips, 130y and in scoring. I've fiddled with the Golfmetrics strokes gained app but would much prefer a version where you post-round can plot your strokes graphically (I believe DECADE full version does this, just costs a fair bit...).

I prefer to do my stats post round, it gives a good opportunity to reflect on the shots and decision making. Hence a SG app with graphic input would be nice (I'm sure there is one out there, just haven't researched this too much yet).

I think that there are a lot of good these can do, but for someone who uses a hybrid to punch a lot and uses an 8 iron from 70 or 80 put to hit a knockdown onto a green it seems like the collected information could really be skewed. Are there options to say ignore this or that shot? If so then these could be useful for me. If not then it would be tough for it to be accurate enough to be useful.

Reading these posts really makes me realize how this tech needs to change and not be so intrusive and at times cumbersome. Sensors have to get smaller and the apps need to function easier. For a lot of golfers that don't like to mess much with tech ease of use has to be more in play. I think the tech will get there, it just isn't there yet.

I think that there are a lot of good these can do, but for someone who uses a hybrid to punch a lot and uses an 8 iron from 70 or 80 put to hit a knockdown onto a green it seems like the collected information could really be skewed. Are there options to say ignore this or that shot? If so then these could be useful for me. If not then it would be tough for it to be accurate enough to be useful.
I am not super familiar with Arccos, but I know on Garmin you can go into the app online and remove/add shots distances, tell it what clubs for what shots, and so on. I find that Garmin might show several shots off a tee box and you are looking at it asking yourself, how in the world did it come up with all these 3 shots? I am guessing hard practice swings causes that due to the way Garmin gets the data.

Also you find some driver yardages to be off quite a bit, usually shorter and not longer like Arccos (or at least my buddies Arccos). I shot a couple drives on one round and even ranged the drives with my range finder so I knew exactly what they were in distance (plus I know the course well), but Garmin was off.

The thing is you have to correct what you know is off in the app and learn how to use the tech to provide the best value for you.

Android. The base functioning works well enough. I don't like the phone in my pocket. I don't like the sensors on the clubs. It's hard to remember to check the strokes after every hole. Getting better at adding/adjusting strokes but still not intuitive. Not able to hit practice shots/putts without screwing things up. Some people do great with it but it just takes me out of some of the enjoyment. 🤷‍♂️
I can understand that. However unfortunately the android version is not as good as the iphone. The sensors built into the clubs are so much better in my opinion but some guys don't like those either. I rarely have a missed shot and the only thing I have to adjust is putts. It likes to assume 2 putts on every hole

Reading these posts really makes me realize how this tech needs to change and not be so intrusive and at times cumbersome. Sensors have to get smaller and the apps need to function easier. For a lot of golfers that don't like to mess much with tech ease of use has to be more in play. I think the tech will get there, it just isn't there yet.
Sensors are built into the butt end of the grip. How much smaller would you like it? Plus whenever the Arccos link comes out you won't even have to have your phone in your pocket anymore

There are a number of devices out there and recently I have been experimenting with quite a few of them (reviews coming). Arccos, Shot Scope and others are designed to give you the data you want, without really interrupting your round of golf.

Post round, there can be a lot or a little to dive into, completely based on what you are looking for. From what clubs you are efficient with, to where you are losing strokes and need more practice.

My question is, do you want to know? Are you ready for data that is designed to help you get better and choose clubs appropriately?

Continue reading...
I think I do. Not that I am looking for a caddie feature to tell me what club to hit from a given distance. But, just so I have a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses. I have taken stats in the past only to sit on the data and do nothing with it. Never tabulated it and tracked trends. I like the concept of having something do that for me. So, the data is there when I want to look into it.

My practice time is severely limited now. I have been known to dedicate what little time I have to practice only to run through the same routine I have for years. Hit a bucket of balls. Roll some putts and go home. Never focusing on anything that actually needs work. No plan. I think some comprehensive data would be an eye opener for me.

Sensors are built into the butt end of the grip. How much smaller would you like it? Plus whenever the Arccos link comes out you won't even have to have your phone in your pocket anymore

Agreed here.
Or with Shotscope, they are the thickness of a nickel. I didn't even notice them and you don't need the phone in your pocket.

I think I do. Not that I am looking for a caddie feature to tell me what club to hit from a given distance. But, just so I have a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses. I have taken stats in the past only to sit on the data and do nothing with it. Never tabulated it and tracked trends. I like the concept of having something do that for me. So, the data is there when I want to look into it.

My practice time is severely limited now. I have been known to dedicate what little time I have to practice only to run through the same routine I have for years. Hit a bucket of balls. Roll some putts and go home. Never focusing on anything that actually needs work. No plan. I think some comprehensive data would be an eye opener for me.

The bold is me to a T. It does all of the work and in my first round with it, I had zero errors or omissions. The key for me is seeing trends and how to be the most efficient with my clubs.

Agreed here.
Or with Shotscope, they are the thickness of a nickel. I didn't even notice them and you don't need the phone in your pocket.
Haven't seen Shotscope sensors in person but what we saw back in January was impressive

The bold is me to a T. It does all of the work and in my first round with it, I had zero errors or omissions. The key for me is seeing trends and how to be the most efficient with my clubs.
I have countless score cards that I threw away that had basic stats on it. Fairways hit, GiR, putts, etc. I looked at it after the round. Maybe threw it in the bag with the plan of adding it to a spreadsheet that never materialized and eventually ended up at the bottom of my trash can. I already know I don't have enough focus to follow through on keeping track of it myself, lol.

I track some stuff, even the basics like gir, fir, and putts, but I didnt aggregate it to really get a good picture of my strengths and weaknesses.

The gamegolf was helpful with that but it has since been useless, so I guess I'll just have to do it manually for now

I think it would be nice to have but I also know distances of clubs well enough. Could it help me become more efficient with them, maybe. Stats wise as far as FIR/GIR/putts I get enough info from the Grint app on my phone.

I have countless score cards that I threw away that had basic stats on it. Fairways hit, GiR, putts, etc. I looked at it after the round. Maybe threw it in the bag with the plan of adding it to a spreadsheet that never materialized and eventually ended up at the bottom of my trash can. I already know I don't have enough focus to follow through on keeping track of it myself, lol.
Haha thats me I tried it once on a scorecard and I quit halfway through the round. I don't care enough during a round to keep track of that stuff, I like that this does it for me. I'm still in the camp that hates I can't play music while using it though that annoys the **** out of me.

Since I have to tell my watch what club I hit, if it is more of a chip out/recovery, or a total duff, I just dont tell it what club was used. It still tracks the shot, but it doesnt associate it with a specific club, which avoids skewing the data. Also good when I chip with an iron around the green.

Haha thats me I tried it once on a scorecard and I quit halfway through the round. I don't care enough during a round to keep track of that stuff, I like that this does it for me. I'm still in the camp that hates I can't play music while using it though that annoys the **** out of me.
Never even thought of that. The phone aspect is what has kept me from Arccos. I hate having my phone in my pocket. For someone who likes to use their phone for other stuff like playing music, that would be an even bigger pain.

But yeah, I already know I won't do a great job. I am eyeing down the Shot Scope V3 pretty heavily once it comes out. If the watch is small enough, and an afterthought. All I have to do is play and let the system do its job.

I sometimes think I want data, I try to collect it at times through varies means. I am not sure how it would affect my game or if I would have the time to evaluate it meaningfully. I am not too analytical. Maybe a little. I have read a ton of reviews about arccos and shotscope etc and from what I have read, I don't think it is quite there yet. Almost though.

I guess I am in favor of it (I sold statistics software for 17 years) but not enough to interrupt my round to get it.

Back