drop and stroke

I think it was @Canadan that mentioned an adjustment I would be ok with . 2 strokes and drop no closer to the hole. So it is a stiff penalty, but your not going back to the tee.

I could entertain that, too. That's close to the currently available local rule to drop in the fairway equidistant to where it crossed the OB with 2 strokes.

I'm just against altering the RoG to make the game easier for no other reason than to make the game easier.

I think it was @Canadan that mentioned an adjustment I would be ok with . 2 strokes and drop no closer to the hole. So it is a stiff penalty, but your not going back to the tee.
Two great ones.

1593448348133.png

I don't get this. First, what's confusing now? Second, what's an irregular round of golf? :eek:;):cool::rolleyes:
I don't study the rules of golf and in a casual/regular round with my buddies we all just agree on what to do in certain situations, fast forward to a tournament/event round, "irregular", and it makes it hard to remember exactly what to do in certain situations, especially when everyone might disagree on exactly how the rules is applied or what steps you need to complete for the drop.

I agree that there needs to be an OOB rule. However, I don't see why it needs to be a stiffer penalty than a water shot. I'm for it being the same; take your stroke and drop inbounds where it left. Doesn't seem like this is something that needs to be so complicated.

It's pretty easy for me. OB is out of bounds, and outside the designed playing area. .

In every other sport/game involving a ball, when the ball goes out of bounds, it's out of play. The play is stopped, and there is a penalty associated with it. Sometimes that penalty rewards the other team with possession of the ball. In this instance you could say that "O.B." was awarded the ball. (I'm not talking about Keeler here)

Golf is no different. Rules are rules, and as such, they must be followed. Arm chair QBs don't count. Just the ruling bodies.

The current OB rule is a good rule, as it usually protects property not designed for flying golf balls.

It could be worse. Just think that for health safety reasons, the ruling bodies made fan galleries OB?

In this case, I believe the objective was to prevent a PGA Tour player from getting hit by a train. A similar situation might occur in the more popular OB, hitting it into someone's backyard. Playable? Yes. But you do risk the irate homeowner with a shotgun.

My thoughts:

- hazard rule: play out if you can. If you cannot, stroke penalty. Drop as per current rules - drop along path of ball.
- oob: no playing put of OoB. Take 1 stroke and drop along lines of hazard rules.

Done.

Nothing more needed.

Ok, here's a scenario for you guys. At my local course, 3/4 of the par 3's are over water with drop areas. The one with no water in play is super tight but also has a drop area. When I drop there (let's remove the local rule to drop plus one stroke) should the drop be played as adding two strokes so you're hitting 4 or go back to the tee and hit 3? I'd rather it seen all OB treated like the local rule on this hole.

I understand some cases OB isn't playable, but if it's playable it should be allowed to be played. Someone can play their ball out of a water hazard if they are able.

Currently stroke and distance applies to OB and lost ball, IMO, stroke and distance should be applied to all; OB, LB and all Hazards regardless of type. Sounds harsh, I know, but I believe the ball should be played as it lies, and all strokes should be counted from where it lies.

other than "that's just the rule" I've yet to hear a valid reason that water is played differently than ob. to me it's asinine that we have yellow, white and red stakes. what is the rational for this? just change the rule so every ball in a hazard is played the exact same way, and structure it in a way to maintain a reasonable pace of play. I say everything should be played like a red take, but remove the ability to hit it if you can find it. drop on the line it entered the hazard. done.
The hazards are on the course property/part of the course. Out of bounds is off the boundary of the course, whether its in right-of-way or adjoining property owner or just deemed "not part of the golf course" by the course.

The hazards are on the course property/part of the course. Out of bounds is off the boundary of the course, whether its in right-of-way or adjoining property owner or just deemed "not part of the golf course" by the course.
Not always true, some courses use OB to protect adjoining fairways/greens.

OB should be enforced but the penalty should just be 1 stroke to put the ball back in play in the line of flight no closer to the hole and no improvement on lie. Why does it need to be more penal than a water hazard?!

The OB rule is fine. Especially with the adjustment to local rulings.

I don't give a hoot about the rule on tour or USGA qualifiers or tournments.

The lost ball rule is a bit a joke though, but that can be played just like the adjusted OB rule.

other than "that's just the rule" I've yet to hear a valid reason that water is played differently than ob. to me it's asinine that we have yellow, white and red stakes. what is the rational for this? just change the rule so every ball in a hazard is played the exact same way, and structure it in a way to maintain a reasonable pace of play. I say everything should be played like a red take, but remove the ability to hit it if you can find it. drop on the line it entered the hazard. done.
Yellow, white, and red stakes, lines painted on the ground, the goat tracks I play seldom have any of these. Yes I agree everything should be played like a red stake....if I can find a red stake.

Last edited:
Since we already have the water hazard penalty I was trying to think of a creative penalty that's equivalent for OB. What would you think of these simply being distance penalty without the stroke? Sail one into a neighboring yard to the right? Retee and it's your 2nd shot.

My thoughts:

- hazard rule: play out if you can. If you cannot, stroke penalty. Drop as per current rules - drop along path of ball.
- oob: no playing put of OoB. Take 1 stroke and drop along lines of hazard rules.

Done.

Nothing more needed.
I'm with you on this, but everyone probably already knew that from Episode 10 of the Off Course podcast :LOL:.

Isn't losing a $3.75 golf ball is penalty enough?

Last edited:
As a guy who finds more white stakes than most I consider myself an expert on this subject matter.

I say the rule is fine as it is. Casual golfers don't follow the proper rules anyway and just throw a ball down where it went out. When your ball leaves the property of the golf course I believe you should be penalized heavier than if you simply find a creek next to the fairway.

However, a few things I'd like to add:
1) Internal OB needs to be outlawed. So stupid.
2) If we are going to change any rules, I'd first like to change the current "lost ball in play" rule. Stroke and Distance penalty is way too harsh for a disappearing golf ball, especially when all these podunk half-ass lean budget golf courses don't even bother to mark their 5 ft tall fescue grass as a penalty area. Hitting a massive block slice bananarama into Aunt Rhonda's backyard is a terrible shot and I deserve everything I get. Hitting a solid 6i that just barely misses the fairway and somehow disappears off the face of the earth is not a bad shot, and should not be punished equally.

I am with many here who don't see why it is more penalty than being in water, the worries about boundaries and safety are moot if you lay out inside the boundary with a stroke penalty.

The rule should stay. OB us usually an off property line or, in some cases, necessary for safety concerns. Bottom line, courses have boundaries and they should be (are) enforced with OB lines.
The rule is irrational. The bottom of a pond is also off any playable property, and can be unsafe. The two situations should be treated equally. One penalty for one bad swing, not two penalties.

Last edited:
As a guy who finds more white stakes than most I consider myself an expert on this subject matter.

I say the rule is fine as it is. Casual golfers don't follow the proper rules anyway and just throw a ball down where it went out. When your ball leaves the property of the golf course I believe you should be penalized heavier than if you simply find a creek next to the fairway.

However, a few things I'd like to add:
1) Internal OB needs to be outlawed. So stupid.
2) If we are going to change any rules, I'd first like to change the current "lost ball in play" rule. Stroke and Distance penalty is way too harsh for a disappearing golf ball, especially when all these podunk half-ass lean budget golf courses don't even bother to mark their 5 ft tall fescue grass as a penalty area. Hitting a massive block slice bananarama into Aunt Rhonda's backyard is a terrible shot and I deserve everything I get. Hitting a solid 6i that just barely misses the fairway and somehow disappears off the face of the earth is not a bad shot, and should not be punished equally.
Two strokes for a lost ball makes much more sense than two penalties for OB, which makes no sense. If the ball is lost, you can drop it in a place more advantageous than wherever the ball actually is. That warrants the two strokes. Treating OB worse than hitting the ball into the bottom of a pond is illogical and unfairly punitive.

I really like the OB rule on tour. Makes those boys a bit more nervous, doesn't negatively impact me at all while watching at home.

There is a local rule that can be applied using the USGA rules that allows for a drop rather than a re-tee that I don't mind being implemented - We have it in place at my course. But, two strokes is what it should cost, for sure. OB is OB.
The local rule allowing a drop in the fairway is still a two-stroke penalty.

OB is OB, and the bottom of a pond is the bottom of a pond. Neither one can be played. So the penalty should be the same.

What if they cut the grass next to a pond and repaint the red line a couple inches lower down the bank? Now the shot I had to take a penalty for being an inch over the line yesterday is an inch inside the line today.
If the ball is over the red line, but in the grass and you can still hit it, you have that option with no penalty. The red line shows the place you measure your drop from if you do have to take a drop.

Back