PODCAST Off Course: Episode 15: Does Golf Have a Distance Problem?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show including discussing some polarizing topics including the idea of a distance problem in golf. Hosted by Dan Edwards and Rob Miller, each Friday the hosts give you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before.

Episode 15 is here and @HipCheck and @Canadan are joined by @golfunfiltered to discuss the following topics.

Club Building as a Hobby
Does Golf Have a Distance Problem
Should the Ball Be Rolled Back

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bryson was created in Weird Science.
D494E451-33FF-4349-9D08-CB8C769BF0CF.gif

Thanks for having me on. My mouth burn has finally healed.

To further expand on my use of the word "exploit" as it pertains to Bryson:

While I will agree that multiple players are able to carry the ball 300+ yards, and there is a ton of roll on Tour courses, no other player is doing it the manner in which Bryson does. I don't mean pure talent, either. He's found whatever combination of mass, acceleration, loft, spin and launch that's needed to exploit what's available to him within current equipment constraints.

@Canadan...Gravity core. Callaway Alpha 815 haha I still have that driver!

I find it interesting that this year marks 100 years since the very first ever ball regulation. The conversation surrounding the leap from the gutty to the wound ball is exactly the same as the conversation that is happening today.

I find it interesting that this year marks 100 years since the very first ever ball regulation. The conversation surrounding the leap from the gutty to the wound ball is exactly the same as the conversation that is happening today.
You are correct.

To further expand on my use of the word "exploit" as it pertains to Bryson:

While I will agree that multiple players are able to carry the ball 300+ yards, and there is a ton of roll on Tour courses, no other player is doing it the manner in which Bryson does. I don't mean pure talent, either. He's found whatever combination of mass, acceleration, loft, spin and launch that's needed to exploit what's available to him within current equipment constraints.

I find the use of the word exploit hysterical.
A guy gets in shape and all of the sudden he is exploiting the game.
Every guy on tour uses a launch monitor to dial in distances to the finite number based on their abilities.

@Canadan...Gravity core. Callaway Alpha 815 haha I still have that driver!
I know... Every episode I'm good for one moment of pure brain blanking and that was it for episode 15 hahaha

What a ding dong.

Live video of me everytime @golfunfiltered mentions exploiting or loophole

Why is exploit viewed as such a negative thing?

"make full use of and derive benefit from (a resource). "

Great discussion. So many variables in the conversation. I like Dan’s point - roll back the tee box! Force them to take the angle the stuffy course architect prefers. But I think you’re missing an opportunity to support a great American company:
1595596640363.png

Genuine question, when Tiger bulked up, added a bunch of weight and muscle did you say he found a loophole? How about Rory?
How about when Gary Woodland lost 25 lbs to get in shape.
How about Brooks hitting the gym to be as strong as possible?

It comes off (meant or not) as a negative connotation associated with bypassing of the rules. Part of that is the association of the word exploitation.

because it's almost always used in this version of the definition;

: to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage

Is what he is doing a loophole? I dont see it as a loophole. It is more of an open door that he decided to walk through.

Exploit
verb
to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc), esp unethically or unjustly for one's own ends

because it's almost always used in this version of the definition;

: to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage
That's good and fine, but not the way I was referring to it. Bryson is definitely exploiting the resources available to him, along with his brain, his nutrition, and all the things.

Genuine question, when Tiger bulked up, added a bunch of weight and muscle did you say he found a loophole? How about Rory?
How about when Gary Woodland lost 25 lbs to get in shape.
How about Brooks hitting the gym to be as strong as possible?

I wouldn't call those things loopholes. But I would say they exploited the resources available to them.

That's good and fine, but not the way I was referring to it. Bryson is definitely exploiting the resources available to him, along with his brain, his nutrition, and all the things.
But your are away of the way 99% of the speaking world uses the word, right?

yeah, I get you - but you asked why it was viewed as a negative lmao

Is Bryson more than just a mad scientist? With the current OEM offerings, will we see other players start to experiment with all-out swings to exploit the numerous shaft offerings and forgiveness of driver heads? If they do, will anyone be as successful as Bryson in his ability to hit it far and hit it straight?

All this exploitation etc. I think has diminishing returns, I also see him as said blowing up at some point. He is either going to lose control of it or suffer injury.

Yeah but Dan's meaning is what everyone thinks. You wouldn't say you exploited that girl after a study session at the library just because she was a resource that taught you. You might get looked differently.

Back