Mizuno Releasing JPX 921 Irons: Full Preview

I really want to share some thoughts on the highly subjective “feel” category but I’m waiting until I can get them outdoors. Hitting indoors on mats is good but is no substitute for the truth in the dirt. What I will say is the 1025E short irons are unsurprisingly fantastic.

I’ll also drop what surprised me most after the first session later today.

How does the feel of the 1025E 921F short irons compare to the feel on the tours?

How does the feel of the 1025E 921F short irons compare to the feel on the tours?
I only have the 921F and the 919T but they are both 1025E, as are the 921T. So it will be an indirect comparison but I am happy to make it! I’m expecting them to more or less feel the same given the materials being the same but I’ve been wrong before.

For me, I’m interesting In hearing( and seeing) compares of the HMP and the 921F....that’s my decision to make.

I'm in the exact same spot. If I get the same performance I'll go HMP due to cost and the 4 iron will become a Fli-Hi (19 degrees 4 iron doesn't sound to friendly)

I'm in the exact same spot. If I get the same performance I'll go HMP due to cost and the 4 iron will become a Fli-Hi (19 degrees 4 iron doesn't sound to friendly)

In the same boat. I have advantage of playing 919F and HMP giving me a hint - I am more consistent after the 6i and may go 4-6 921 HMP, 7-PW 921 F.

Although I've got to say, that the HMP is so impressive in 7-PW, it's hard to make the break. BUT with 921F being Forged Chromoly, it's easier. Depends on when your consistency breaks down -- for me its probably 4-6 921 HMP, 7-PW 921 F, then strong GW at 48, 53, 58. Now if I knew the graphite shafts ...

In the same boat. I have advantage of playing 919F and HMP giving me a hint - I am more consistent after the 6i and may go 4-6 921 HMP, 7-PW 921 F.

Although I've got to say, that the HMP is so impressive in 7-PW, it's hard to make the break. BUT with 921F being Forged Chromoly, it's easier. Depends on when your consistency breaks down -- for me its probably 4-6 921 HMP, 7-PW 921 F, then strong GW at 48, 53, 58. Now if I knew the graphite shafts ...
Same break I was thinking, between 6 and 7. Maybe 1 degree strong on the 7 forged , 1 degree weak on the 6HMP.

How would you compare the forgiveness of the 921F and the Forged Tec?

How would you compare the forgiveness of the 921F and the Forged Tec?
TBD but this is something I’m looking into. What are you looking for for forgiveness? (Could mean a lot)

TBD but this is something I’m looking into. What are you looking for for forgiveness? (Could mean a lot)
Launch angle and consistent ball speed across the face... some help with low struck shots - would think the Forged Tec would excel here...

Same break I was thinking, between 6 and 7. Maybe 1 degree strong on the 7 forged , 1 degree weak on the 6HMP.

That sounds sensible.

That doesnt look much like a toss up to me. Mizuno def has a more narrow sole. The trailing edge is chrome which makes it disappear a little, but still looks a good bit smaller and with more relief.
I’m with you on this. Also looks like the FT might have higher launch ....

I am most likely to go with one set instead of a split set. I have a split set now and the mid irons just are no where near as good as the short irons. Burnt once, not likely to do it again

I am most likely to go with one set instead of a split set. I have a split set now and the mid irons just are no where near as good as the short irons. Burnt once, not likely to do it again
I’ve said it loud a proud a few times in person, the Forged are kind of a spilt set. HM materials in the long irons, Tour materials in the short irons.

Not on the HMP's - those suckers go far ... the Forged, less so. Have done it- got the T Shirt.. ("Ima Golf Ho")

Launch angle and consistent ball speed across the face... some help with low struck shots - would think the Forged Tec would excel here...
Maybe, but time and testing will confirm! I have a 4 set rotation testing planned that these will being tested against

I’ve said it loud a proud a few times in person, the Forged are kind of a spilt set. HM materials in the long irons, Tour materials in the short irons.

OH! Did not know that. Are you telling me I actually have to READ the articles you guys write??? :) I see it now!!! "The JPX 921 Forged set is comprised of the full body forged chromoly 4-7 irons and full body forged 1025E 8-GW irons"

When you do your testing can you comment on how forgiving/easy it is to hit the 4/5 irons in the 921F set versus the 921HMP's? I am thinking of getting a little bit of help in the 4/5 and having the rest 921F.

Thanks Molten!!

When you do your testing can you comment on how forgiving/easy it is to hit the 4/5 irons in the 921F set versus the 921HMP's? I am thinking of getting a little bit of help in the 4/5 and having the rest 921F.

Thanks Molten!!
I have to try to get my hands some HMPs but I’m certainly going to try. I know @JDax @Canadan and @JB have hit both. I’m sure they will chime in when the time is right.

Thanks Molten!!
Really tough to compare, but I wouldn't hesitate personally on either the Forged or the HMPs in that spot.

@JB do you have all these heads in hand? P770’s as well? Would love to see the forged pictures beside the TM’s for comparison sakes

@JB do you have all these heads in hand? P770’s as well? Would love to see the forged pictures beside the TM’s for comparison sakes
I have all of the Mizunos but have not received TM yet. Should be soon.

I will be hitting them on Monday.

I have all of the Mizunos but have not received TM yet. Should be soon.

I will be hitting them on Monday.
P7MC vs Tour pics please!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

P7MC vs Tour pics please!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I’d like to add the 921 Forged in those photos too!

Any news on shaft option? Thank you and stay safe

So, I smuggled some JPX 921 Tours out of THP HQ for a bit of a trial run, set up with my regular steel shafts (KBS Tour V) with completely stock construction (read: weaker lofts, somewhat flat). I have such a weird perspective on them right now after hitting all four of the heads side by side... Like if Jeep were to sell a sedan - the guts are definitely in line, but it's kind of out on an island by itself.

Is that a bad thing? I say hell no. Each head in the line has something unique that defines it, and the Tours are exactly that.. the JPX version of a tour iron that is high powered, built with a lot of carefully considered elements, and intended for those players who want a bit more than an MB while enjoying the maximum workability they are familiar with.

All that in mind, a bit of a nod to 919. I'll be blunt - I thought the tours were the worst sounding iron of the entire Mizuno lineup. I wanted nothing to do with them. Yeah, harsh, I get it, but I think I need to say that to comment on how much I DO like the sound of 921. It is wildly better, and the presentation from a finish standpoint combines for what I would consider to be a very appealing profile.

So what can we really talk about beyond sound (great) when it comes to a players iron? Workability? Maximum. I've got a video coming up on THP TV that actively displays the ease that these irons have turning the ball both ways. Where some irons hit it straight when you didn't think they would, these hit the ball the direction you know you deserved haha! Overall flight? Spin? Predictable based on loft. There's only so much a company can do with a subtle CB/MB profile when it comes to spin production or reduction. I can hit it high and land it soft, I can hit it with spin... they 'work' how you want them to.

Turf interaction. Neutral to reasonable. My divots were shallow all day, which is awesome as the turf is a bit soft after some rain here. That's a big win for this profile, and it also supports the design features of this type of iron because you sort of need to get the head into the ball at the right height to get positive feedback. Yes, of course I hit one thin.. with a 5 iron.. to a 210 yard pin... it didn't feel great, but I lipped the 20 foot birdie putt so I am not upset about it.

The final comment before you guys read and ask more: like most in this profile from Mizuno, there just isn't much out there that feels as rewarding as enjoyable as flushing one. I hit two straight irons that you'd call "nutted" if you were with me, and I was so impressed. Did I mention the sound yet? Again? K.

Your turn.

Back