Mizuno Releasing JPX 921 Irons: Full Preview

Apologies for chiming in, but I happened to take a screenshot from Chris' presentation. Standard on the HMP's is the Project X LZ in black. They only discussed standard offerings, no upgrades or alternates were mentioned. The blacked out look is going to make those HMP's really sexy.

View attachment 8957699

Thanks, saw that - but the only graphite option there is the ESX, which is about 65g. They usually offer the Recoil 95, too. I assume they are talking steel in the PX LZ Black, which would fit me if I wanted steel. In previous years, they had offered PX LZ 90 Tour graphite. Glad I have a set of pulls in the garage.

Thanks, saw that - but the only graphite option there is the ESX, which is about 65g. They usually offer the Recoil 95, too. I assume they are talking steel in the PX LZ Black, which would fit me if I wanted steel. In previous years, they had offered PX LZ 90 Tour graphite. Glad I have a set of pulls in the garage.

Right - my bad. I should have realized graphite wouldn't be the standard offering. I have the graphite in my 919 HM's, too. Love it. They aren't available to consumers through the aftermarket, right? True Temper makes them for OEM's only?

@JB, @Molten Can anyone tell us about stock graphite shafts besides last year's Recoil 95 and ESX - about 65g. More options are welcome - the PX LZ 90 Tour Graphite was a good shaft - but they eliminated it in year 2. That and a Recoil Smacwrap 78-80g would be welcome. Looking for more quality options and variety of weights
I'm not sure I understand what information you are looking for. Are you asking for opinions on the stock shafts or other custom options?

I'll be lucky to see them in hand by June of next year! 😩

This is no joke. I had a dream last night that I played a round with a set of 921 Forged that had Catalyst 80 6.0 shafts in them and I shot my all time best round. Where does a dream like that come from that is so detailed. Seriously, Catalyst 80 6.0 shafts, a shaft I have never played in a set of irons (although I love it in my Cobra King Utility).
Well, what’d you shoot in this sweet dream?

I'm not sure I understand what information you are looking for. Are you asking for opinions on the stock shafts or other custom options?

Options on Graphite Shafts - they displayed some stock options in the preview, but they have many.

Right - my bad. I should have realized graphite wouldn't be the standard offering. I have the graphite in my 919 HM's, too. Love it. They aren't available to consumers through the aftermarket, right? True Temper makes them for OEM's only?

I think the Catalyst took over for the LZ 90 Pro Graphite (which do not appear on the TT Website).

I think the 950GH Neo is a great stock steel shaft offering in the HM. If I go with the Forged I’d want this shaft in them...

Options on Graphite Shafts - they displayed some stock options in the preview, but they have many.
Ahhh yeah, sorry. I don’t have that information yet.

Ponderifying.....

HMB 4 to 6, one or two degree(s) weak
JPX921 Tour 7 to PW

I see the HMBs are not as strong lofted as the new JPX forged and I owned the HMB 4 and 5 and really enjoyed them.

Why a 2nd embargo date? Once the story is out why would it matter if everyone shared their experiences and show their numbers?

i'm with you. it's a head-scratcher for me.

Ponderifying.....

HMB 4 to 6, one or two degree(s) weak
JPX921 Tour 7 to PW

I see the HMBs are not as strong lofted as the new JPX forged and I owned the HMB 4 and 5 and really enjoyed them.
I'm guessing you see a big gap between that 6 and 7 but the bending could make it super manageable.

i'm with you. it's a head-scratcher for me.
My honest take? To prevent a few human clown cars that have the club for 10 minutes and put out a "review" to be first and get clicks. I think it makes a ton of sense to get the information out and control that message before it gets drowned out by people talking about it from personal experience. And it encourages you to do a quality review when they all come out at the same time...

I'm guessing you see a big gap between that 6 and 7 but the bending could make it super manageable.
Could be. Specs wise they are only different by 2 degrees. Of course, the tech in the HBM is likely to produce more distance. This is why I'd possibly go 2 weak on the HMBs.

Dunno.....wanna see the forged before making any decisions

My honest take? To prevent a few human clown cars that have the club for 10 minutes and put out a "review" to be first and get clicks. I think it makes a ton of sense to get the information out and control that message before it gets drowned out by people talking about it from personal experience. And it encourages you to do a quality review when they all come out at the same time...

their prerogative, and i'm definitely interested in more info. I just don't agree that a delay is going to guard against any of that. the mizuno team is smarter than I'll ever be and actually do this for a living. so, trust the process I suppose.

Reactions: MH
their prerogative, and i'm definitely interested in more info. I just don't agree that a delay is going to guard against any of that. the mizuno team is smarter than I'll ever be and actually do this for a living. so, trust the process I suppose.

There are a lot of companies that are not fond of 3 swings, poorly verbalized tech info and some data to generalize a golf club on release day.

Sadly that is the youtube life now, and the entire tech story is usually then mis-aligned or lost in translation. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum that actually likes that a message gets given and then clubs are available after that message.

Perhaps it would have been better if clubs weren't in the wild yet, but that tends to happen when fitters/teaching pros want to be reviewers, etc.

There are a lot of companies that are not fond of 3 swings, poorly verbalized tech info and some data to generalize a golf club on release day.

Sadly that is the youtube life now, and the entire tech story is usually then mis-aligned or lost in translation. I am on the opposite side of the spectrum that actually likes that a message gets given and then clubs are available after that message.

Perhaps it would have been better if clubs weren't in the wild yet, but that tends to happen when fitters/teaching pros want to be reviewers, etc.

maybe better for a different thread, but how does this delay squash the incomplete/amateur/bad reviews? those reviewers are probably still going to do the 3-swing review, right?

maybe better for a different thread, but how does this delay squash the incomplete/amateur/bad reviews? those reviewers are probably still going to do the 3-swing review, right?

Correct and there is nothing wrong with that type of thing. I think the genesis is to get real information out before that takes place. So people have and understand the tech, before it jumps to quick take feedback that is often quite incomplete.

Speaking of YouTube life, Rick Shiels already has a review out for these.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

1597359764592.png ..... THESE are the recently released Mizuno Japan JPX 200X irons and wondering what are the differences ?

It took way too long but I got a simulator session with the 921 Forged. With all the rain recently, my home course is under water (and I mean literally under water) so I’m not sure when they will see real ground to test some turf interaction but I have high hopes.

I’m beyond intrigued by the shape and power packed in that small package. The top line, the offset, the sole, the performance - I’m not sure what I would change.

If I was in the market for players irons, you are going to want to hit these first. I don’t say that lightly.

It took way too long but I got a simulator session with the 921 Forged. With all the rain recently, my home course is under water (and I mean literally under water) so I’m not sure when they will see real ground to test some turf interaction but I have high hopes.

I’m beyond intrigued by the shape and power packed in that small package. The top line, the offset, the sole, the performance - I’m not sure what I would change.

If I was in the market for players irons, you are going to want to hit these first. I don’t say that lightly.

What were the numbers like compared to the Forged Tecs or the P790s you reviewed?

View attachment 8957818 ..... THESE are the recently released Mizuno Japan JPX 200X irons and wondering what are the differences ?
Saw a Japanese channel hitting these. 7i was 26°, PW 39° . Rocket launchers, SGI. Think Hot Metal on steroids.

Back