Golf Ball Compression: Spin, Speed and Distance

I think slower swing speed player(s) testing a few balls from the next few performance levels down would be awesome. BTW, I could be available as a volunteer. It would also be a pretty cool contest.

Agree, we would make great test subjects!

good video, good demo.
i guess the biggest take away for me is the 10 yards you gained with the bridgestone.
a lot of numbers there and understanding what they are but the lower spin and extra yardage gained is why i see your ball is the bridgestone.
:thankyou:

So this was extremely helpful. I’m actually doing a bag overhaul including ball. Leads me to think getting fit with your gamer ball is key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, in case I wasn't clear. Thank you for this video. It is a topic I think about quite a bit, one that can very likely have measurable impact on my game. My thoughts on ball fit are evolving. I enjoy the gcquad 2-ball "baseline" and the range of THPer perspectives. I am not here to argue or win. Rather, I am very content exposing my ignorance and misperceptions. I can't learn otherwise. Much to process.

I am not sure how this comment relates to the content.

Can you elaborate?

I guess my comment was geared more towards the distance aspect of the equation, because I think golfers are overly impressed with distance as compared to the other aspects of the golf ball. If my comment doesn't work for you then oh well.

I guess my comment was geared more towards the distance aspect of the equation, because I think golfers are overly impressed with distance as compared to the other aspects of the golf ball. If my comment doesn't work for you then oh well.
curious; did you watch the video, or just react to the title?

There is an awful lot more that went into the considerations and creation of this one. That is why I was surprised by the comment. I address peak height, launch angle and spin as my primary considerations for a ball - and yes I touch on distance but it's hardly the focus and more a footnote.

I personally don't chase distance or ball speed - I've got plenty to give. If I did, I probably wouldn't play the RX.

So this was extremely helpful. I’m actually doing a bag overhaul including ball. Leads me to think getting fit with your gamer ball is key
That's awesome! Love to hear that.

I hope you take us along for the ride in each ball thread that you try!!

hold up. I thought soft was slow...

pretty crazy that a lower compression ball would give you that much extra ball speed. a full club carry and 10 extra feet of peak height means less club and a steeper angle of descent. that's not something I would walk away from.

this is a pretty cool way to show just how dramatic a change in ball can change launch, spin, and distance. i'd love to see an extended video where a golfer spends time swapping golf shafts, swapping club heads, and swapping golf balls, then analyze the results to see which one contributed to the most overall change.

Agree, we would make great test subjects!
As the possessor of arguable the slowest swing speed on THP (clocked at a mighty 67 MPH!!) I volunteer to be the low end of the spreadsheet.

If you are chasing distance with your irons, you aren't using them correctly. With the exception of driving irons or utility irons, the purpose is to hit approach shots. As Canadan did a great job showing us, he could hit a 7i 195 yards with 5500 rpm or 7i 185 yards with 7000 spin. The result is what matters. Its not how far your last shot was that matters, its how close your next shot is. He went down the path of matching ball dynamics and swing dynamics to give him the best next shot possible on a more consistent basis. A great example of why the right ball fit matters and why it matters to match ball to your club setup.

my 2 cents....

pretty crazy that a lower compression ball would give you that much extra ball speed. a full club carry and 10 extra feet of peak height means less club and a steeper angle of descent. that's not something I would walk away from.

i'd love to see an extended video where a golfer spends time swapping golf shafts, swapping club heads, and swapping golf balls, then analyze the results to see which one contributed to the most overall change.

I keep doing this personally, and won't clog this thread up much, but it is pretty eye opening to see what attributes change with ball, shaft and head and how much the body adjusts to some aspects.

Seeing a 1200 rpm change in spin, highlighted here is certainly a worthy discussion that is overlooked.

this is a pretty cool way to show just how dramatic a change in ball can change launch, spin, and distance. i'd love to see an extended video where a golfer spends time swapping golf shafts, swapping club heads, and swapping golf balls, then analyze the results to see which one contributed to the most overall change.
It's crazy, right? I remember my first trip to Club Champion in Indianapolis, when we started messing with club lofts on MBs and getting the realization that I was trying WAY too hard to normalize my launch (which is high), but rather find ways to promote and leverage it.

Finding a ball that hits it just as high with notably less spin means I don't have to fear hitting into wind anymore - I can still get solid distance without my ball ballooning or losing all momentum due to spin.

The ball speed numbers surprised me as well - Even from an individual perspective, i hit numerous shots with the ProV1x where I notably said I hit it very well, and still didn't match. Is that a different take for a different video? I'd argue yes based on the story we're telling here -- and I am sure the chance for driver to be superior in ball speed with the ProV1x is present - But it definitely surprised me in same conditions with same club and same swing quality.

As the possessor of arguable the slowest swing speed on THP (clocked at a mighty 67 MPH!!) I volunteer to be the low end of the spreadsheet.

You try these out yet?

81O0VuPQw3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you are chasing distance with your irons, you aren't using them correctly. With the exception of driving irons or utility irons, the purpose is to hit approach shots. As Canadan did a great job showing us, he could hit a 7i 195 yards with 5500 rpm or 7i 185 yards with 7000 spin. The result is what matters. Its not how far your last shot was that matters, its how close your next shot is. He went down the path of matching ball dynamics and swing dynamics to give him the best next shot possible on a more consistent basis. A great example of why the right ball fit matters and why it matters to match ball to your club setup.

my 2 cents....
I am really, really pleased to read this takeaway!! It's exactly what I wanted to present (although I would personally defer to carry distance because my ball lands like a pancake haha).

I keep doing this personally, and won't clog this thread up much, but it is pretty eye opening to see what attributes change with ball, shaft and head and how much the body adjusts to some aspects.

Seeing a 1200 rpm change in spin, highlighted here is certainly a worthy discussion that is overlooked.

think of all the people who go buy a $400 driver shaft, then spend another $40-$50 on grip, tip and labor, hoping to cure what ails them. when maybe the answer was just changing the ball? that's certainly not the answer for everyone, but it's a cheaper experiment!

I'm always amazed how many overlook the golf ball when setting up their bag. It's the one piece of equipment that we use on every shot. I've settled into the 2020 CSX, but I want to get some time on a sim and see where other balls fall in terms of helping me maximize carry distance.

Good stuff, Dan. Appreciate it--super informative and makes me want revisit the Tour BRX

I'm always amazed how many overlook the golf ball when setting up their bag. It's the one piece of equipment that we use on every shot. I've settled into the 2020 CSX, but I want to get some time on a sim and see where other balls fall in terms of helping me maximize carry distance.

I actually thought of your ball journey during this testing and editing the video.
You moved to the CSX because of the increase in spin on your approach shots, increasing flight, etc.

Perfect example of where a firmer compression will benefit.

good video, good demo.
i guess the biggest take away for me is the 10 yards you gained with the bridgestone.
a lot of numbers there and understanding what they are but the lower spin and extra yardage gained is why i see your ball is the bridgestone.
:thankyou:
Thanks TCB!

One other thing I wanted to mention for those who are isolating distance as the primary - look at the results with the Tour B RX from an accuracy standpoint and it's easy to see why I have comfort hitting them. Four of the five shots hit the green, with the fifth being what I would consider a trash can entry into the ball (read: very open face).

This isn't a test to 120 yard pin. I'm taking that kind of accuracy all day long from 190 yards and cashing it in. The benefits of me getting to use a 7 iron instead of a 6 iron are just icing on the cake (assuming based on carry I would need to bump to my 6 using the ProV1x).

I am really, really pleased to read this takeaway!! It's exactly what I wanted to present (although I would personally defer to carry distance because my ball lands like a pancake haha).

(y) The point I was making is you have a choice to find the best fit for your game. You can go for the 195 yard 7i because the ball still sits and lands soft on greens. I was the opposite for a long time. I'd hit the ball really long but lacked any stopping power because the ball came in shallow. When I recently switched irons, I really focused on descent angle as a key criteria and its paid huge dividends. Now I have flexibility in my ball choice to maximize my game. And there are huge gains to be had by matching up the ball to your game.

(y) The point I was making is you have a choice to find the best fit for your game. You can go for the 195 yard 7i because the ball still sits and lands soft on greens. I was the opposite for a long time. I'd hit the ball really long but lacked any stopping power because the ball came in shallow. When I recently switched irons, I really focused on descent angle as a key criteria and its paid huge dividends. Now I have flexibility in my ball choice to maximize my game. And there are huge gains to be had by matching up the ball to your game.
Back when I was chasing driver distance, all I looked at was descent angle (sub 40 was a celebration haha). It's funny how we isolate not just what matters to us, but that it could change club to club (aka driver to iron).

We golfers are curious creatures.

my 2 cents....

If an average golfer (I realize not everyone would have the same results as Dan and he's not "average") can get an extra ~10 yards with an iron without sacrificing its ability to hold the green (thanks higher launch), doesn't that imply that you get to take one less club though? If Dan gets a 175 yard shot with his BRx, he now can take an 8i instead of a 7i, ceteris paribus, he'll have a better chance to make a more accurate approach shot.

I actually thought of your ball journey during this testing and editing the video.
You moved to the CSX because of the increase in spin on your approach shots, increasing flight, etc.

Perfect example of where a firmer compression will benefit.

Exactly. It was giving me all I wanted and then some with approach shots. Off the tee I am pretty sure I am giving up some carry yards, but I am still in a good spot so I'm not too worried, but I think I need to get the CS out and compare to see the difference.

This shows how important a ball fitting could benefit a golfer. I didn't expect that much difference b/w premium balls. Very interesting stuff.

Back