Golf Ball Compression: Spin, Speed and Distance

If an average golfer (I realize not everyone would have the same results as Dan and he's not "average") can get an extra ~10 yards with an iron without sacrificing its ability to hold the green (thanks higher launch), doesn't that imply that you get to take one less club though? If Dan gets a 175 yard shot with his BRx, he now can take an 8i instead of a 7i, ceteris paribus, he'll have a better chance to make a more accurate approach shot.

Does it matter which number is on the club as long as it gets near the hole? I think you are right and you provide an example of someone on the opposite end of the spectrum from Dan. But the lesson in the video is the same regardless: get fit to a ball that maximizes your game. For Dan, maximizing means less spin. For someone else, its adding spin/launch. For your example of an average swing golfer, maximizing may mean gaining distance without sacrificing hold on greens.

One thing though: A lower number iron isn't really an indicator of a more accurate approach shot. I prefer the closer you are as a marker that you can be more accurate. For example, from 175 yards Dan may mash a 9i, hit a smooth 8i or 3/4 7i to reach the green. I would guess that given 100 shots, the 8i is actually going to be the most accurate over the 9i as he is swinging more in control.

Thanks for making that video Dan, it was a real eye opener !
Not focusing on distance, but do you think the difference in ball speed or spin was more an attribute to the distance difference.
And....how about doing another of those videos, but start with the Titleist and then go to the Bridgestone ?

Thanks again for the video and comparison.

You try these out yet?

81O0VuPQw3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Ooof, those look like pink rocks. Ouch.

Thanks for making that video Dan, it was a real eye opener !
Not focusing on distance, but do you think the difference in ball speed or spin was more an attribute to the distance difference.
And....how about doing another of those videos, but start with the Titleist and then go to the Bridgestone ?

Thanks again for the video and comparison.
Is the idea there that I could be more tired using the Titleist? Based on everything i experienced while there, those numbers were aligned with everything else I had experienced.

Yea, I was thinking about the being a little more tired. I know you weren't exhausted or anything close, just trying to eliminate variables.
Thanks again !

Yea, I was thinking about the being a little more tired. I know you weren't exhausted or anything close, just trying to eliminate variables.
Thanks again !
Very fresh in the day. In the first 30 balls I hit that day, so there was lots in the tank (I hope hahaha)

Great consideration though. In this case, I was swinging as well if not better with the ProV1x in play from my personal perspective.

If an average golfer (I realize not everyone would have the same results as Dan and he's not "average") can get an extra ~10 yards with an iron without sacrificing its ability to hold the green (thanks higher launch), doesn't that imply that you get to take one less club though? If Dan gets a 175 yard shot with his BRx, he now can take an 8i instead of a 7i, ceteris paribus, he'll have a better chance to make a more accurate approach shot.
For the 'average' golfer the argument could be made maximizing distance with the ball would be more important before the iron shot, because distance from the hole on that iron shot might ultimately matter more. Could be complicated by that average golfer's swing and flight, accuracy off the tee, and the forgiveness of additional loft on a shorter iron, etc.

For a non-average golfer, I think things are a lot more complicated. Like @Tevenor was saying, there are a lot of ways to maximize the ultimate outcome.

Loved how Dan put emphasis on 'for me' before diving into the swing and data part of the vid, because it's highly personal, and I think it really announced his intention to provide the information and how it applies to his game.

Is this what passes for science at THP?

This was a GREAT video @Canadan !!

I'm so torn by how it makes me feel though. On one hand, I WISH I had access to equipment that can help me match the right ball to my game. On the other hand I suck. As a person who struggles with (I won't say the word) an "aggressive left to right ball flight" when I miss, I find myself attracted to lower spinning balls to help reduce the damage on those bad shots. So in reality I don't deserve the access to the toys to give me numbers since inconstancy is the norm for me, which is why I'm choosing a ball based on how it feels.

Is this what passes for science at THP?
Well, it's empirical data, so, I guess?

I don't remember using the term 'science' during the video (college was fun, but I don't remember getting a degree in any sort of science lol), but I am eager to see if they want to expand on what I read as an underwhelmed response to the video.

I don't remember using the term 'science' during the video (college was fun, but I don't remember getting a degree in any sort of science lol), but I am eager to see if they want to expand on what I read as an underwhelmed response to the video.
Well, you are the closest thing we have to a Iron Byron. ;)

Great video Dan. I switched to the ProV1x last year for the iron spin and did not even consider it was robbing me of distance on my irons.

Now knowing that I think I will take the spin over distance.

Got to check out the video. Have had good luck with the e12 and 36 soft this year. thanks for always posting good info, y'all are great!

Well, far be it for me to cast doubt, but, 7 posts in 10 years does not make me think this will be a lively debate.

Well, far be it for me to cast doubt, but, 7 posts in 10 years does not make me think this will be a lively debate.
Hey, it's all good. I'm glad our video could shatter the silence :ROFLMAO:

Eager to see some more feedback. Can't wait, actually.

Enjoyed this analysis. I wonder Dan how much different your numbers would be with the Tour BRXS vs the BRX. I was fit into the BRX a few times with the VFit, but on course felt it released too much on full 7 irons etc. into the greens. Switched to the BRXS and much better for me.

I still can't believe it's about 10 yards carry on a 7 iron with that spin reduction, that's crazy.

I'll set this aside to watch; I guess I ought to know how all of the options might affect my game and which are best for my game.

In high school, I just told the coach "give me the low-traj 100-compression Titleist balatas"!

This is going to get me in trouble and turn my garage into a golf ball warehouse.

I think this video is really well done. The ball speed difference to me is something that immediately jumps out. 5 shots with each ball, remove shot #4 on the Bridgestone ball, and notice how every single shot hit came off with more speed than all of those with the ProV1x. I think the two biggest differences to see here are the ball speed and the spin. Launch angle is a bit closer without shot #3 from the ProV1x.

Having gone through a ball v ball comparison lately with the OnCore Vero vs Elixr, it's amazing what a difference in the ball can do. I think we've seen some really good ball info from real golfers here in the past year with numbers that show there is so much more to choosing a ball than just compression, and this right here does a FANTASTIC job of highlighting that point. No way would any of us that know Dan put him in that Tour B RX. Now could someone look at those and be "scared off" by the spin differences, sure I think so. But here is where real-world experiences come in to play when helping to choose a ball for YOUR game.

Very interesting analysis, thanks for sharing. I had similar results with a box of pro v1x where I was getting more backspin on my irons than I could control.

I'm curious what the benefit of the BX is in comparison to the BRX. I got v-fit to the BX and reading about the balls it seems like the RX is for slower swing speeds and the X is a comparable ball for faster swing speeds. Is the BX a similar compression to the RX?

Very interesting analysis, thanks for sharing. I had similar results with a box of pro v1x where I was getting more backspin on my irons than I could control.

I'm curious what the benefit of the BX is in comparison to the BRX. I got v-fit to the BX and reading about the balls it seems like the RX is for slower swing speeds and the X is a comparable ball for faster swing speeds. Is the BX a similar compression to the RX?

No sir, the Tour B X I believe is Bridgestone's firmest compression in the Tour B lineup. It does however have a firmer urethane cover compared to the XS. The RX is right around 65 compared to the 85 of the X (im generalizing the numbers going off memory).

Keep in mind these numbers as it relates to comparisons across the industry are not as cut and dry as one might imagine. For starters, there is no industry standard as to how measuring is done and multiple companies do it differently.

Back