Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

I took the M-Series+ Mid 56° for its first round today. I like the feel of it, and it felt good around the greens with the Titleist Velocity ball. I need to see how it does with the OnCore Avant55.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Velocity may be holding your wedge game back somewhat unless you can count on the roll out being predictable. I'm not familiar with OnCore, but something like the Snell MTB would give you a bit more spin in the short game.

The M-Series+ has plenty of spin when I've used it with the Snell MTB-X or Taylormade TP5.

Dave

Looking at the MG wedges and tc hybrids now. How do the pak shafts compare to a custom build? More so in the hybrid. Is it worth the extra money to upgrade the shift from the mpf pro series shaft?

Looking at the MG wedges and tc hybrids now. How do the pak shafts compare to a custom build? More so in the hybrid. Is it worth the extra money to upgrade the shift from the mpf pro series shaft?
Good question. I could not find much on the MPF shafts except that they play stiff compared to say Tensei CK or the like. I am looking at building a couple hybrids and for the price almost not worth the extra time since the Maltby hybrids are priced so well.

I can't speak for the mpf shafts because I haven't tried them yet. For my hybrid I went with the UST Proforce V2 Black and I love it. But I went the custom shop route. If I had gone with a pak I would probably have gone with the Kuro Kage Black.

I just joined this board and stumbled across the thread. I am a huge Maltby fan - been using their stuff x25 years, and have hit almost every club they make. Re the quality and performance, I have so many stories I could tell of people who thought Maltby stuff was knock off junk, only to be convinced after trying them. Anyone who thinks they are substandard is just plain wrong.

I just joined this board and stumbled across the thread. I am a huge Maltby fan - been using their stuff x25 years, and have hit almost every club they make. Re the quality and performance, I have so many stories I could tell of people who thought Maltby stuff was knock off junk, only to be convinced after trying them. Anyone who thinks they are substandard is just plain wrong.
Welcome to the board! Glad to have you. Which of the Maltby hybrids do you feel is the best performer for a 15 handicap with a medium to fast swing speed and tempo?

Welcome to the board! Glad to have you. Which of the Maltby hybrids do you feel is the best performer for a 15 handicap with a medium to fast swing speed and tempo?

Thanks you
I didn't know there'd be a test so early :)
Handicap is not the best determinate - some people hit the ball OK but can't putt, others are inconsistent in ball striking. The most forgiving hybrid is the M890, but it has offset. That'll help a slice, but exacerbate a hook. With a quicker transition I'd put a heavier shaft, like the kura kage 80. Hope this helps

Thanks you
I didn't know there'd be a test so early :)
Handicap is not the best determinate - some people hit the ball OK but can't putt, others are inconsistent in ball striking. The most forgiving hybrid is the M890, but it has offset. That'll help a slice, but exacerbate a hook. With a quicker transition I'd put a heavier shaft, like the kura kage 80. Hope this helps
Lol...you passed the test! I'm a pretty good ball striker but not so great putter but improving. I'm right handed and can't find a hybrid that doesn't go left so offset would not work. A heavier shaft might be the way to go. I might try that route. Thanks!

You want a flatter lie and heavier club With little offset. For Maltby Options the ST hybrid has little offset. And a weight to customize headweight
good luck

I think the KE4 Tour TC is the typical hybrid recommendation.

Dave
I've been looking at the KE4 Tour TC and the Sth2 in the 4 hybrid. I want a high launching and soft landing hybrid as it will be a scoring hybrid. My 19* Cobra F6 Baffler(with rails) will be the rescue hybrid if that makes sense. Sth2 is higher launching and has a flatter lie angle which could work well. The KE4 Tour TC seems to be a little higher quality club and could work with a higher launching shaft. I would love to hit both before I decide but I don't think that's an option. I might actually wait until Dave at Fit2You Golf reviews the Sth2 hybrid. I find his reviews to be extremely helpful and he'll compare the 2 hybrids as well.

Last edited:
I think the KE4 Tour TC is the typical hybrid recommendation.

Dave

The KE4 Tour TC hybrid is the first one I have been able to hit. I have the 19° #3. If I continue to have success with it I am considering either adding the #4 or trying the STh2 or M890 in that slot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys, just wanted to wade back in and say I am so sorry. Things went totally wrong from the way I intended (waaaaay wrong.) Played too much "devil's advocate" and "stereotypical thinking" about components in my arguments and didn't consider feelings. I don't care what brand of clubs you play, let's just go play!! Going golfing is fun, no matter what brand of clubs we have. (y)
I try to only talk clubs if people want to on course. Otherwise, I don't really even notice.

I had a round one time, some "new to me" used MP-33's. Guy had some other blades that I was paired with, and told me how "inferior" my clubs were the whole round. :ROFLMAO: I'm not THAT guy!! (y)

The KE4 Tour TC hybrid is the first one I have been able to hit. I have the 19° #3. If I continue to have success with it I am considering either adding the #4 or trying the STh2 or M890 in that slot.

I just ordered the Tour TC 17 and 19. Not sure how the 17 will go, but guessing the 19 will be nice addition for me as well. If the 17 will give me the intermediate distance behind the driver that will be fine.

My 5 iron is basically a 4 iron loft and I hit that fairly good at 175-185, so what I really needed was something that will produce yardage from 180-220. I really want to get the top of my bag figured out. I am spending way too much time trying to get this nailed down.

Guys, just wanted to wade back in and say I am so sorry. Things went totally wrong from the way I intended (waaaaay wrong.) Played too much "devil's advocate" and "stereotypical thinking" about components in my arguments and didn't consider feelings. I don't care what brand of clubs you play, let's just go play!! Going golfing is fun, no matter what brand of clubs we have. (y)
I try to only talk clubs if people want to on course. Otherwise, I don't really even notice.

I had a round one time, some "new to me" used MP-33's. Guy had some other blades that I was paired with, and told me how "inferior" my clubs were the whole round. :ROFLMAO: I'm not THAT guy!! (y)

No worries, it is just golf! Welcome back.

Dave

I just ordered the Tour TC 17 and 19. Not sure how the 17 will go, but guessing the 19 will be nice addition for me as well. If the 17 will give me the intermediate distance behind the driver that will be fine.

My 5 iron is basically a 4 iron loft and I hit that fairly good at 175-185, so what I really needed was something that will produce yardage from 180-220. I really want to get the top of my bag figured out. I am spending way too much time trying to get this nailed down.
I've been doing the same thing and it's taken months to figure it out. I'm down to one club which I think will be a Maltby STh2 21* or KE4 Tour TC 22* hybrid. I've actually enjoyed it and love my Maltby irons and wedges and my Cobra woods are stellar. I hope you enjoy the process and please let us know how the new hybrids work out.

Can you comment/compare the 17* TC with your 3 wood? Trajectory, distance, reliability. thanks

Can you comment/compare the 17* TC with your 3 wood? Trajectory, distance, reliability. thanks
I just ordered 17 and 19 early yesterday, so it will probably be the late in the week, or weekend before it arrives here. I am not thinking it will be as long yardage wise as my 3 wood which would make sense, but since I am so inconsistent with the 3 wood, my guess is less yardage won't be a big sacrifice at this point.

I would say 40% or less of the time I cannot hit the 3 wood as far, nor consistent, as my 5 wood because I don't get a quality ball strike. So no use continuing with that club as I have switched shafts, grips, changed degrees, and used it quite a bit to see if it was something I could resolve and nothing has really changed.

I even put it away for a couple weeks and went back to it, and still not persistent at all. I think my left arm pulls back slightly with it on the swing which affects the arc, not too mention it needs some better speed for compression than I have been applying.

My subconscious brain just doesn't work for that club for some crazy reason and I cannot figure it out, so I figure I am not wasting anymore time with it. If later on for some reason I can hit it, then I will go back to it.

I will definitely compare them and give a status on my progress once I get them on the launch monitor and out on the course with some results.

Well hit drives for me are going ~ 230 with roll. The 17 hybrid is going 180-210 depending upon ground conditions. I may be giving up a little bit to my 3 wood, but given I strike it better it is working out well.

I am an excessive dynamic loft player and find the 17 hybrid with Aldila NV R shaft is producing a good launch window for me. I use it as a fairway wood replacement. I hit my Titleist 816 H1 hybrids higher than ideal.

If someone is a low ball hitter, the 17 hybrid may not launch high enough.

Dave

I just ordered 17 and 19 early yesterday, so it will probably be the late in the week, or weekend before it arrives here.

Once you receive the clubs can you advise on the distance gapping between 17 and 19? What are your target distances?

Dave

Once you receive the clubs can you advise on the distance gapping between 17 and 19? What are your target distances?

Dave
I have some concerns about these two and just don't know if this is the right way to go or not, but time will tell.

I noticed golfworks states the 17 has weight forward and the 19 has weight backward so not sure exactly how much that will affect my gapping. My current 5 wood is 18.5 degrees with average carry of 200 yards.

I know a hybrid is only supposed to replace the relevant iron and not a wood, but my guess is the 17 should produce about 200 yards at 95 mph swing speed (of course on a good strike). My 3 wood is 14.5, but at this point it simply doesn't produce well enough for me.

The majority of the time I can hit my 5 iron carry is 175-180 carry so the 19 would need to carry 185-195 and the 17 around 200 carry and around 210 or more off the tee. Hope the 19 will fill the gap and even take care of some 5 iron fairway shots that I don't hit as well (I tend to flex it some and miss my aim).

If not I will order the 22 degree hybrid and keep all three in the bag, although that was not my plan, but this is golf. This may be an exercise in futility, but I hope not. I am tired of buying golf stuff and the continuous drag of it grinds you down.

I am more concerned about playing and not fretting with clubs, but the thing is I know my own weaknesses and have to build the right clubs to strengthen that "weaker" part of my game.

I am kind of in the same boat, I have 2 par threes at my home coarse that play about 180 carry and my 5 iron isn’t cooperating lately. I have been playing the 2015 Callaway xr irons since they came out and this winter wanted to learn about club building a little bit so I ordered a set of the Maltby dbm irons. I really like the looks and feel but hit them way to high. So I hopped on Golfworks looking for maybe a hybrid to switch into the 5 iron spot and wound up buying a whole set of the sti2’s for 199.99 and a matching 3 and 4 hybrid for like 60 bucks a piece. For me looking at the lofts I’m hoping this set works better for my game. When I look at the xr lofts it seems weird to me that there is a 22 degree 5 iron and then a 21 degree 4 hybrid. I understand that the hybrid should launch higher and go longer but but it’s not for me lately lol. I’m hoping this is my last golf purchase of the year and I can get the middle side of the bag figured out, although the black m+ wedges look pretty nice.

I have some concerns about these two and just don't know if this is the right way to go or not, but time will tell.

I noticed golfworks states the 17 has weight forward and the 19 has weight backward so not sure exactly how much that will affect my gapping. My current 5 wood is 18.5 degrees with average carry of 200 yards.

I know a hybrid is only supposed to replace the relevant iron and not a wood, but my guess is the 17 should produce about 200 yards at 95 mph swing speed (of course on a good strike). My 3 wood is 14.5, but at this point it simply doesn't produce well enough for me.

The majority of the time I can hit my 5 iron carry is 175-180 carry so the 19 would need to carry 185-195 and the 17 around 200 carry and around 210 or more off the tee. Hope the 19 will fill the gap and even take care of some 5 iron fairway shots that I don't hit as well (I tend to flex it some and miss my aim).

If not I will order the 22 degree hybrid and keep all three in the bag, although that was not my plan, but this is golf. This may be an exercise in futility, but I hope not. I am tired of buying golf stuff and the continuous drag of it grinds you down.

I am more concerned about playing and not fretting with clubs, but the thing is I know my own weaknesses and have to build the right clubs to strengthen that "weaker" part of my game.

I think the CG position is intended to hit the correct trajectory windows. Players need more help with a 17 than a 19. Based off my experience low lofted hybrids like this are going to run unless you hit the ball very high or conditions are very soft. If you hit your carry number of 200 I would not be surprised to see it run 15-20 yards.

I don't know what my carry is, but I'm getting total distance of ~ 180-200 right now with moderate to firm ground conditions. It has been a great tool for me on par 5s to give 3rd shot partial wedges into greens.

I posted a question on the Golfworks Q/A for this club and Jim stated he thought that 17,19 would gap ok. I'm potentially in the market to replace my 816 H1 hybrids.

Dave

I find that my swing changes some each day. One day my speeds may be up and the next down, but always between about 3 to 4 mph up or down.

Today I hit about 20 shots with my 5 wood and maybe 10 with my 5 iron (stats below). If I factor in rollout then my 5 wood would be give or take about 200/205 and my 5 iron 180/185.

I would state I am more conservative on the course than I am on my launch monitor, so possibly 5 yards differential would probably be ok. It all depends on a given day. I am anticipating how the TC Tour 17 and 19 fitting somewhere in the gap. Since the TC Tour hybrids are shorter clubs the loft should make up some of the difference:

5 wood - 18.5 degrees:
  • Carry average = 194
  • Swing Speed = 94
  • Ball Speed - 141
  • Smash Factor - 1.5
  • Spin - 1870

5 iron:
  • Carry average - 174.2
  • Swing Speed - 85
  • Ball Speed - 125
  • Smash Factor - 1.47
  • Spin - 7059

I find that my swing changes some each day. One day my speeds may be up and the next down, but always between about 3 to 4 mph up or down.

Today I hit about 20 shots with my 5 wood and maybe 10 with my 5 iron (stats below). If I factor in rollout then my 5 wood would be give or take about 200/205 and my 5 iron 180/185.

I would state I am more conservative on the course than I am on my launch monitor, so possibly 5 yards differential would probably be ok. It all depends on a given day. I am anticipating how the TC Tour 17 and 19 fitting somewhere in the gap. Since the TC Tour hybrids are shorter clubs the loft should make up some of the difference:

5 wood - 18.5 degrees:
  • Carry average = 194
  • Swing Speed = 94
  • Ball Speed - 141
  • Smash Factor - 1.5
  • Spin - 1870

5 iron:
  • Carry average - 174.2
  • Swing Speed - 85
  • Ball Speed - 125
  • Smash Factor - 1.47
  • Spin - 7059
You should fill that gap.. I predict your 17 may be every bit as long as the #5 wood... one may not be needed. I have been wrong before and will be again soon. Interested to see results.

Back