Mizuno JPX 921 Irons Review

Saturday shopping and boy, those Forged are a little stronger lofted than I expected. Big loft gaps in the scoring clubs and definitely not a no fuss combo with the Tours. Interesting.

I think using the SEL specs for a Tour forged combo is the way to go. 4* gaps top to bottom. But that’s also predominantly a Tour set. Moving forged deeper into a combo set will require more trade-offs, no doubt.

In my MMC set the gaps are 4* except for PW-9 and 9-8 where they are 5*. I keep 4* with my wedges. I notice those gaps and have had to develop a few more shots to cover distances.

I think using the SEL specs for a Tour forged combo is the way to go. 4* gaps top to bottom. But that’s also predominantly a Tour set. Moving forged deeper into a combo set will require more trade-offs, no doubt.

In my MMC set the gaps are 4* except for PW-9 and 9-8 where they are 5*. I keep 4* with my wedges. I notice those gaps and have had to develop a few more shots to cover distances.
Yeah, the CF19 level low-mid lofts I mentally adjusted to quick enough, but the 5s in that part of the bag are a little tough for me. I moved away from a set recently because of that. Thought I was covering them well, and in the grand scheme, was. A deep dive into the data showed they were costing me proximity though, regardless of how it felt/seemed like I was managing them. A combo with more limited forged does seem more likely now. It's definitely trickier.

Really feels like the HMP/Forged combo will be the way to go for a lot of people. Easy match.

I know. I totally missed it! Like I said, huge fail on my part. I think I didn't make a point to look at that, because they're not available for a bit, but then read and watched enough to start developing what were ultimately uniformed opinions. Total lesson learned. Need to start with the basics.

Starting with 4i -- 21, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40, 45, 50.

I was also surprised by the 5 degree difference in the shorter irons -- But my guess it is due to the design of the club. I am skipping the 50 and instead inserting a T20 48 and then 53, 58. Figure I may lose distance from CB to Blade and heavier wedge shaft. Will probably get fit from a clubmaker who gets heads from Mizuno and get Accra Constant Weight Shafts at 85g. But if things work out, will take my first trip during Covid next month to get fit.

@JB As you had/have the Hogan PTx Pro's, would like to hear your thoughts on them as compared to the 921's. Which 921 lines up the closest, which one is slightly more forgiving, which one is slightly less forgiving, etc etc. Ovbiously the 921 go Tour-Forged-HMP-HM in terms of forgiveness: where would you slot the PTx in?
Thanks, I appreciate your insight.

Starting with 4i -- 21, 24, 27, 31, 35, 40, 45, 50.

I was also surprised by the 5 degree difference in the shorter irons -- But my guess it is due to the design of the club. I am skipping the 50 and instead inserting a T20 48 and then 53, 58. Figure I may lose distance from CB to Blade and heavier wedge shaft. Will probably get fit from a clubmaker who gets heads from Mizuno and get Accra Constant Weight Shafts at 85g. But if things work out, will take my first trip during Covid next month to get fit.

That isn't unusual for Mizuno - several of their lines over the last few years have used these specs. Ended up bending my HMB's to them (1° stronger) due to the high launch - even with DG shafts - and the flight and distances are absolutely perfect now. As much as I'm sure the new 921F's will be nice, I can't imagine them bumping my current set out unless it was just due to wanting something newer. Then again, I'll get to hit the 921's on Tuesday and could easily change my mind.

Last edited:
@JB As you had/have the Hogan PTx Pro's, would like to hear your thoughts on them as compared to the 921's. Which 921 lines up the closest, which one is slightly more forgiving, which one is slightly less forgiving, etc etc. Ovbiously the 921 go Tour-Forged-HMP-HM in terms of forgiveness: where would you slot the PTx in?
Thanks, I appreciate your insight.

None of them honestly. Not complete set wise. Their design on the long irons, don't really mirror much of the JPX lineup. Short irons, probably the forged.

Confirmed my CC fitting for Tuesday so I will get the answers about how they compare to the Honma TR20 in person, its going to be a shoot out as the Honma's were pretty darn good today.
My 1st shot from the fairway today was 188 slightly uphill and I pulled the 5 iron hoping to see the front of the green and flew it to the back fringe. Now it was a amped up shot and a perfect lie but it felt great to start that way.

Still could see a set of HMP or a combo HMP / Forged in my future if the numbers prove it out.

Tomorrow is preorder day and I’m really thinking of getting the HMP too. It’s a terrible idea but it’s a good idea too

That's what I did in the 919... but I like the smaller head of the Forged. I bought the HMP for insurance in the event my swing goes to heck. I might get an HMP in the 5 and 6i but still buy Forged in 5-PW and take a look at the ES Wedge - at least the 60.

Going to grab another range session tomorrow with the 921 tours but wondered if anyone had thoughts/questions in the meantime, or anything you want me to focus on?

I was pretty sure the MP-20 MBs were the gems of the Mizuno player lineup, but so far the tours have definitely impressed me. I've been hitting them back and forth against the MP-18 SC and while I think they are a bit more challenging, I also think they are a bit more rewarding as well.

Tomorrow is preorder day and I’m really thinking of getting the HMP too. It’s a terrible idea but it’s a good idea too
hahaha you're a mad man. Pretty telling about the potential that the product has to get you excited like that.

And I don't blame you. the first time I hit HMP in the Tech Studio, I blurted out "WOW" haha

Going to grab another range session tomorrow with the 921 tours but wondered if anyone had thoughts/questions in the meantime, or anything you want me to focus on?

I was pretty sure the MP-20 MBs were the gems of the Mizuno player lineup, but so far the tours have definitely impressed me. I've been hitting them back and forth against the MP-18 SC and while I think they are a bit more challenging, I also think they are a bit more rewarding as well.
When you say challenging would you say these are more forgiving than the MP20 MBs?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

When you say challenging would you say these are more forgiving than the MP20 MBs
I think if there's added forgiveness, it's not very obvious.

They are both compact players irons.

do you only have access to the tours? not the forged (or others)?

I think if there's added forgiveness, it's not very obvious.

They are both compact players irons.
I think I need to hit these and see how it goes. I hit both the MBs and 919 Tours and found the tours to result in much more consistency for me.

Time to share your thoughts. I need to hear other people's thoughts here because I've been screaming that people should not sleep on the forged.

I will be traveling on business in NE in early October and getting a fitting at that time. Have a guy with tons of shafts and want to see what works best BUT turf interaction and playability are important. He usually gives me a chance to take a couple of clubs to a range and try them out to confirm fitting for playability. Hoping to get together with some MA THP'ers.

Now gotta get the flu shot and Covid testing 72 hours before boarding plane - MA is tough.

do you only have access to the tours? not the forged (or others)?
Right now just the tours. I brought them home to give them a bit of a run before sending back to HQ (or hand delivering excuse lmao)

I think I need to hit these and see how it goes. I hit both the MBs and 919 Tours and found the tours to result in much more consistency for me.

That is the beauty of subtle changes to an already very accomplished iron.

From my perspective? 921 is wildly better from an overall experience.

Right now just the tours. I brought them home to give them a bit of a run before sending back to HQ (or hand delivering excuse lmao)

i was curious about consistency of feel between tour and forged if one were to combo the two sets

i was curious about consistency of feel between tour and forged if one were to combo the two sets
A release ago? Nope, no chance I'd do it.

This release? I can't imagine it's any different going from a wedge to an iron. I was hitting all four heads interchangeably at HQ, and aside from the the overall profile being a bit different in the extremes, I mistook them for the wrong head numerous times during a sim round (and I didn't even have any rum haha).

That is the beauty of subtle changes to an already very accomplished iron.

From my perspective? 921 is wildly better from an overall experience.
Can you flesh out a little bit what it is that makes the 921s better in terms of performance?

A release ago? Nope, no chance I'd do it.

This release? I can't imagine it's any different going from a wedge to an iron. I was hitting all four heads interchangeably at HQ, and aside from the the overall profile being a bit different in the extremes, I mistook them for the wrong head numerous times during a sim round (and I didn't even have any rum haha).

wow, that's saying a lot. good to know.

Back