Mizuno JPX 921 Irons Review

I really enjoy the challenge of the tours, but I'll openly admit after a few rounds and range sessions with them, even with the face dispersion I've presented, I wish I'd abducted the forged instead of them from THP HQ.

It makes sense to want to blend. We basically already blend between wedges and irons, why not split irons with irons depending on how you want to swing them. Me? Forged throughout with a couple HMPs at the top. ooooooooh yeah.
🥰

I very much enjoyed this discussion around forgiveness across the face and blending. Thank you @Canadan for digging in there.

BTW, one thing I have noticed in reviews of the JPX921 line is the distance dispersion has been best in set with the forged for just about everyone. That makes a lot of sense. Tours will have more drop off on non-center strikes and more control for moving the ball around. Hotter face, lower loft HMP/HM are simply going further and that creates more opportunities to spread out dispersion a bit. That makes the set even more fun to think about in terms of putting together clubs for specific purposes to make a set. I can make a case, in my overthinking brain, for finding a place for every single model of the JPX line in my bag. That's wicked fun.

Fitting was interesting, the short story is the Honma TR20 P are staying in the bag. I saw no gains in any way with the Forged, or HMP just about the same numbers across the board.

I was swinging about as good as I can off mats inside and sadly even with several different shafts the numbers just did not change, I was fully prepared to take the plunge but it would be a silly waste of money at this point. The only one I could not hit was the Tour which was cross threaded and he could not use it.

We did narrow the shaft selection doen to the Paderson 110 in stiff and the Oban 115 in stiff, both gave me better numbers with TR20 heads and again just about exactly the same with the Mizuno's which I went back to several times trying to make things better.

The fitter was great and pointed out how OTT my swing is (which I knew) and that is the major fault and kept the smash down, I do manage to do quite well with the awful swing so no point in trying to change that short term.

We agreed I will go back in a week or two and try again with just those two shafts and HMP and Forged against the TR20 to see if it was just me making things look bad.

I did take 5 swings with the Honma TR20 B which 3 were stellar and 2 as bad as you could expect so he did say it would be worth hitting the JPX Tour a few time when he got the head fixed just for meanness. He was laughing that I got the same numbers off the B version on the good ones as all the others, golf is strange.

I do hate the fact the fitting is just with a 6 iron which I may hit 2 times a round if I am playing a longer Course, it is quite possible the 7 - PW in the forged or HMP would have been game changers but it is what it is.

Oh and he said minimum 6-8 weeks for just about anything and longer for Titleist which for my impatient self is just about unbearable but again it is what it is.

I really enjoy the challenge of the tours, but I'll openly admit after a few rounds and range sessions with them, even with the face dispersion I've presented, I wish I'd abducted the forged instead of them from THP HQ.

It makes sense to want to blend. We basically already blend between wedges and irons, why not split irons with irons depending on how you want to swing them. Me? Forged throughout with a couple HMPs at the top. ooooooooh yeah.

Based on my work with the 919F and HMP, that's what I'm thinking and this year, the blending is even more compatible. What's a 4i and 5i in HMP and then Forged. Depends on results of a fitting. Doubt if I'll get a 4i. Need more speed, Captain.

Fitting was interesting, the short story is the Honma TR20 P are staying in the bag. I saw no gains in any way with the Forged, or HMP just about the same numbers across the board.

I was swinging about as good as I can off mats inside and sadly even with several different shafts the numbers just did not change, I was fully prepared to take the plunge but it would be a silly waste of money at this point. The only one I could not hit was the Tour which was cross threaded and he could not use it.

We did narrow the shaft selection doen to the Paderson 110 in stiff and the Oban 115 in stiff, both gave me better numbers with TR20 heads and again just about exactly the same with the Mizuno's which I went back to several times trying to make things better.

The fitter was great and pointed out how OTT my swing is (which I knew) and that is the major fault and kept the smash down, I do manage to do quite well with the awful swing so no point in trying to change that short term.

We agreed I will go back in a week or two and try again with just those two shafts and HMP and Forged against the TR20 to see if it was just me making things look bad.

I did take 5 swings with the Honma TR20 B which 3 were stellar and 2 as bad as you could expect so he did say it would be worth hitting the JPX Tour a few time when he got the head fixed just for meanness. He was laughing that I got the same numbers off the B version on the good ones as all the others, golf is strange.

I do hate the fact the fitting is just with a 6 iron which I may hit 2 times a round if I am playing a longer Course, it is quite possible the 7 - PW in the forged or HMP would have been game changers but it is what it is.

Oh and he said minimum 6-8 weeks for just about anything and longer for Titleist which for my impatient self is just about unbearable but again it is what it is.

nice to have the validation that your gamers are so good for you. and I agree, what is the point of fitting off a single iron when the company is excited about the ability to build a blended set? I wish more fitters had pw, 8i and 6i (5i) for their fittings so you can test across different subsegments during the fitting..

I’ve decided on the HM’s standard 6-PW in Recoil ESX460. Was thinking of 50/54/58 in CBX2 but don’t think I can match the shafts. Tempted to go with the Mizuno JPX wedges in 49/54/59 because I can match the HM shafts. Anyone hit the JPX wedges (919 or 921) - how did they perform for you?

I’ve decided on the HM’s standard 6-PW in Recoil ESX460. Was thinking of 50/54/58 in CBX2 but don’t think I can match the shafts. Tempted to go with the Mizuno JPX wedges in 49/54/59 because I can match the HM shafts. Anyone hit the JPX wedges (919 or 921) - how did they perform for you?

FWIW, I am currently gaming the 919 HM 5-PW and the 50, and 56 CBX2 wedges, and I do not have an issue.

What shafts do you have in the irons and wedges?

I am playing the Modus 105 R in the HMs, and the DG stock shafts that came with the CBX2s.

Thank you. That's interesting. Chris Voshall has several youtube vids that Mizuno just released about midnight last night on the 921 Irons.

Chris did say with the Forged, that they had felt that they were behind in distance with the Forged for the past several years and it is the purpose of the Forged to be workable, player-like in attractiveness and have a Mizuno feel. It seemed as if he was describing it as their "balanced in all categories" model.

He said with the 921 that the Chromoly and head design allowed them to catch up on the distance equation while improving looks, workability and feel in a small, high COR and forgiving head. So possibly it's not surprising that you were not gaining distance as that is what they were trying to improve in the 921F as well as the entire package.

So, a bit disappointed that the range was mats only today, as I really wanted to talk about turf interaction in this update - but instead I'd like to focus more on sound/feedback as it relates to this particular product (The JPX 921 Tour irons).

We'll start with the 8 iron.

View attachment 8961254

As you can see, most of the contact is either center or toe side of center. I'll comfortably say that this is the most appealing location on the head to hit the ball. Very full and rich sound profile, supporting exactly what you'd expect out of a shape like this.

And how about the 6 iron.

View attachment 8961255

Notice how the contact moved into the heel? Especially the lower shots that made contact under the last groove, these are the shots that validate what most are saying with this kind of head - that it's 'too much club' for most golfers. Are they super penal? Not really in this location, but I am confident that if I moved any closer to the heel, I'd be in trouble. Most of these were just underwhelming feedback in the hands and ears, but the flight overall was a combination of a bit pully, a bit fadey, or relatively straight. Not really much off the line for me, which tells me path and head were on line.

How about the 'scary' 4 iron?

View attachment 8961256

As you'd expect, a bit more head variety but I kept them pretty tight. It's funny how you'd expect one club to be more demanding, but I would bet the 4 and the 8 are very tight in profile. Gave me mostly that same middle toe contact which promoted very full, robust contact.

My takeaway is exactly what most would expect - that these irons are highly rewarding but equally challenging from a contact perspective. They are extremely responsive as you get towards the heel, and from my on course experience, equally as audibly/vibration present way out on the toe in a very different way.
Very interesting thanks for that. Great review done in a way that provides an insight that is rarely presented.
Would love to see these against the MMCs or straight up against the blades. I think they've got the heads for fitting now so I may try go hit them this week.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Very interesting thanks for that. Great review done in a way that provides an insight that is rarely presented.
Would love to see these against the MMCs or straight up against the blades. I think they've got the heads for fitting now so I may try go hit them this week.
Thanks!

Would love to start reading about others' experiences!

Don't sleep on the Mizuno T20 wedges. Just picked up 2 to go with my 919Fs and love them. Did the standard Recoil 95s to kind of match my Proto 95s and couldn't be happier!

Well, I am all booked for my fitting here in Vancouver at Modern Golf on September 25th. I am thinking that 5 in HMP, and then 6-PW in forged is gonna be my jam!

Just spoke with TGW and DD. Neither are taking JPX 921 orders yet. What gives?

Thanks JB. I’ll call them. Is there a THP discount if I order some CBX2 wedges also? Guessing wouldn’t be applicable to the 921’s.
You would have to ask them. We have a THP coupon for all things at Budget, not sure if a preorder applies.

I ordered the GW and SW with my 919 HM's. I never played the SW - only ordered it because it's likely my 919's will be handed down to my son someday, and I wanted him to have everything he'll need to get started. I played the GW for several rounds, but found the CBX to be more forgiving and didn't feel like I gave anything up. But I just put the 919 GW back in the bag, and for whatever reason it's working for me. Really working for me. Next round I'm going to give the 919 SW a try, too. I use my Vokey 60* for 90% of bunker and touch shots, so I'm optimistic the SW will work out for me, too.

You would have to ask them. We have a THP coupon for all things at Budget, not sure if a preorder applies.

I’ve tried it before and some items say they can’t be discounted (even some not named PING). If you call can/will they apply it or would there still be certain items exempt from discount per manufacturer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried it before and some items say they can’t be discounted (even some not named PING). If you call can/will they apply it or would there still be certain items exempt from discount per manufacturer?

Depends on the item. Some manufacturers have items that cannot be discounted.

I keep thinking of combo options with the Mizuno lineup.
I’m really curious to see the full set of the forged.
Also thinking HMB long irons (Bent a bit weak) and 921 tours from 6 to PW would be nice.
Fun options...

Depends on the item. Some manufacturers have items that cannot be discounted.

That’s what I thought but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. Thanks.

Michael Newtown youtube review up - his dispersion was pretty poor, huge variations in spin and distance.

Interesting..

Back