TaylorMade Releases P7MB, P7MC and P770 Irons

Every time I get close to placing an order, my Hogan’s go OFF for me and stave the temptation.

Maybe I’ll take a closer look after winter hits.

83b3cac90661a1cff327b4028bf9c63f.jpg

First round underway with these

P770 - 4-5i, 0.5* weak
P7MC - 6-P - std loft
played my typical early morning round, comparing against my JPX 919 Tours as that was my latest set

P7MC first: these are really good looking irons. They obviously aren't true blades. They are demanding, especially the 6iron. However, when flushed they feel great. Extremely workable irons. Really easy to draw or fade as necessary. I'd compare these to 620CB, JPX919T. I get a little lower ball flight than the 919T's. (same shaft)

P770: I was never a hollow body guy. I've hit the P790 long irons and UDI but never was excited to put them in the bag. These are smaller and better looking at address. They are workable....but not as easy as the MC's. However, they are definitely longer than the previous 919T 4 and 5iron. I'd say a good 5-10 yards longer. Definitely much more forgiving. The sound is "clicky-er". It might be an issue to some and not to others. I'm ok with it as it performed for me today. If you're still pondering, I suggest giving these a try. I even wonder if I should have gotten the 6iron.

Just wrapped up my TM fitting. We settled on the following

P770 4i-6i
.5deg weak on 5i & 1deg weak on 6i
P77MC 7-PW
Nippon Modus 130 Stiff

At first we wanted to do the break up in the combo set at the 5i and then going with the MC in The 6i. But I told him I don’t use a 6i enough that I’d be confident with an MC. So we kept the 770 in the 6i. What was really eye-opening on this fitting was there wasn’t a huge gap between the 770 7 iron and the MC 7i. I was averaging 19.4° launch and 5900rom with the 770 7-iron. At a 51° landing angle. Whereas the 7MC launched and that 17-18° window at 6600 RPM With a 48-50deg landing angle.

I put the 770 up again against my P760s to kind of update my initial thoughts. And yes while the 760 feels softer on flushed hits overall I think the 770s feel better. Because the 760’s do feel harsher on toe strikes and low on the face. The 770 is a little more “click-ier” than the 760. And the 7MC for that matter. But not aggressively Different, just noticeable when hit side by side.

Surprised that we stayed with the Modus line after have trying a couple different options but bumped up to the 130S. My dispersion was much tighter compared to the 760s, With both the 770s and the 7MC’s. Only downside today is waiting till October for these to ship. We went through a full bag fitting and I did walk out the store with a SIM UDI 3i. I’m gonna jump in that thread and post my thoughts. That thing is unreal.

P770 4i-6i
P77MC 7-PW
Nippon Modus 130 Stiff

At first we wanted to do the break up in the combo set at the 5i and then going with the MC in The 6i. But I told him I don’t use a 6i enough that I’d be confident with an MC. So we kept the 770 in the 6i. What was really eye-opening on this fitting was there wasn’t a huge gap between the 770 7 iron and the MC 7i. I was averaging 19.4° launch and 5900rom with the 770 7-iron. At a 51° landing angle. Whereas the 7MC launched and that 17-18° window at 6600 RPM With a 48-50deg landing angle.

I put the 770 up again against my P760s to kind of update my initial thoughts. And yes while the 760 feels softer on flushed hits overall I think the 770s feel better. Because the 760’s do feel harsher on toe strikes and low on the face. The 770 is a little more “click-ier” than the 760. And the 7MC for that matter. But not aggressively Different, just noticeable when hit side by side.

Surprised that we stayed with the Modus line after have trying a couple different options but bumped up to the 130S. My dispersion was much tighter compared to the 760s, With both the 770s and the 7MC’s. Only downside today is waiting till October for these to ship. We went through a full bag fitting and I did walk out the store with a SIM UDI 3i. I’m gonna jump in that thread and post my thoughts. That thing is unreal.

I like this. Also hopping into the UDI thread to read your thoughts.

You guys aren’t helping!!!! ;)

You guys aren’t helping!!!! ;)

Make your ultimate combo set. You had a bunch of fun with the mp18 combo set of 4 irons

Make your ultimate combo set. You had a bunch of fun with the mp18 combo set of 4 irons
I only combo’d 3, didn’t care for the ole MMC’s ;)

Would do 3 here as well, 770 5, 7MC 6-8, 7MB 9-P

P770 4i-6i
P77MC 7-PW
Nippon Modus 130 Stiff

Nice. I ended up going full 770 5-AW with Modus 130S. I’m going to keep my 790 4i, because it’s a cannon. I looked at your WITB and am actually surprised you went from Modus 120 to Modus 130. Those two shafts are polar opposites in terms of EI profile. 120s are super soft butt and very stiff tip, while 130s are stiff butt, very stiff middle, and soft tip. They both feel very good. I just could never time the 120s, I felt I had to baby them a bit. The 130s, I can swing as soft or hard as I want to- they are pretty stiff to flex overall. Very similar to KBS Tour V. Eli profile of the Modus 130 Stiff is almost exactly the same as the KBS Tour V 120X. They are great shafts if you have a mid to late release.

I personally thought the 770 felt great, but I’m not crazy sensitive to feel on irons. I think having a Modus shaft in an iron makes them feel a bit softer. I actually dont think the 790s feel bad, but the 770s do feel quite a bit better than the 790s, imo.

Last edited:
Yeah Modus 120 to Modus 130 is massive profile change. However, I think that butt stiff, tip soft profile would work for a lot more people than expected. It really let's people attack the ball with much better feel than ctaper and PX.

I'm pretty happy that TM offers them without an upcharge. I could see the MBs in my bag with them.

Yeah Modus 120 to Modus 130 is massive profile change. However, I think that butt stiff, tip soft profile would work for a lot more people than expected. It really let's people attack the ball with much better feel than ctaper and PX.

I'm pretty happy that TM offers them without an upcharge. I could see the MBs in my bag with them.

Yep, totally agree. The soft tip makes them feel fantastic at impact, regardless of how stiff the rest of the shaft is. I really enjoyed that profile when I played Tour V years ago. Actually, I’m going from PX LZ 6.0 to Modus 130S. LZ’s are definitely closer in profile to Modus 120 than they are to Modus 130, haha. The LZ do feel like they are a bit stiffer in the butt section when compared to the 130.

Nice. I ended up going full 770 5-AW with Modus 130S. I’m going to keep my 790 4i, because it’s a cannon. I looked at your WITB and am actually surprised you went from Modus 120 to Modus 130. Those two shafts are polar opposites in terms of EI profile. 120s are super soft butt and very stiff tip, while 130s are stiff butt, very stiff middle, and soft tip. They both feel very good. I just could never time the 120s, I felt I had to baby them a bit. The 130s, I can swing as soft or hard as I want to- they are pretty stiff to flex overall. Very similar to KBS Tour V. Eli profile of the Modus 130 Stiff is almost exactly the same as the KBS Tour V 120X. They are great shafts if you have a mid to late release.

I personally thought the 770 felt great, but I’m not crazy sensitive to feel on irons. I think having a Modus shaft in an iron makes them feel a bit softer. I actually dont think the 790s feel bad, but the 770s do feel quite a bit better than the 790s, imo.

To be fair I wasn’t fitted into the 120’s in the 760’s. But a while back maybe 4-5yrs ago, I was fit into the Modus 130x. I used to swing harder back then! Lol
In other news the buddy i Played with today just got his 770’s earlier this week. He is a single digit HC. Today was his maiden voyage with them. Clubs still had plastic on them and was peeling off the plastic as he needed. If you have seen me play and think I swing hard you should see this guy. Strong as an Ox! He was fit at True Spec Golf For a full set of 770’s with PX LZ 6.5. So I naturally hit quite a few shots with them on the course. Made me think a full set of 770’s isn’t a bad idea. We were playing TP5 and A few other premium balls and they felt drastically different on course then in the SIM. If he plays a full set of 770’s why shouldn’t I?! Lol. Hit a 770 PW exactly 135 which is what I want my PW to go. Hit a 4i on a 205yrd Par 3 passed the pin. Must have been like 220. 4i is normally my 200-210 club.

that profile makes sense in concept. but i hated the way the 130 felt.

that profile makes sense in concept. but i hated the way the 130 felt.

Definitely not for everyone. Just like 120 or any other shaft.

Definitely not for everyone. Just like 120 or any other shaft.
Yup, there’s no one perfect shaft for everyone....

Sadly :ROFLMAO:

Hit some SOLID iron shots with my set today despite the very mediocre round. Flush impact sounds and feels amazing with the MC’s. And the P770s continue to impress me.

Hit some SOLID iron shots with my set today despite the very mediocre round. Flush impact sounds and feels amazing with the MC’s. And the P770s continue to impress me.

Having hit a few shots with 770’s out on the course, the sound and feel is, as crazy as it sounds, much better than what I felt In the hitting bay.

Have a full set of 770’s En Route!

Have a full set of 770’s En Route!

i'm surprised by this. i would have thought there would be some p7mc thrown in there.

i'm surprised by this. i would have thought there would be some p7mc thrown in there.

Full story: I couldn’t resist on this set. Through some connections I was able to get this 4-GW with Modus 120 delivered this Friday for well
Below the retail price of a 4-PW set that are currently back ordered till November. I did hit a couple shots on the course with a buddy’s 770 and that’s what convinced me to go all in. Could I go 7-PW with the MC’s? Absolutely! I’m just not down with waiting till November! 😂 Heck, I can order a set of Modus 130’s if I really wanted to and only be about $100 or so over retail and I’ll have them re shafted by next week!

I can't wait to hear how this goes, I'm so intrigued by these.

These should be in Friday and got a round planned with @BigDill on Saturday. Could have feedback this weekend!

Back