The Look of a “Player?”

I ascribe to a simple three step process, as I am merely an internet golfer.

1: look good
2: feel good
3: play good

I would believe that an actual player, probably goes in the reverse. :LOL:
I don't know. I'm pretty decent, and I think along those same lines!! :LOL: I kind of think you stole that from me, actually. 'Cause I've said it on here a bunch.

If you look good, you feel good, and then you play good. I probably don't fit the definitions of a 'player' though.

You walk onto the range or past a row of golf bags by the first tee. One of the bags sticks out as being a true “players” bag.

What does it look like? What clubs are in it?

bag chattered players irons that are a season old Is about the first thing I notice.

1. Blades (or any forged club really)
2. Staff Bag
3. Alignment sticks

The Staff bag is totally wrong. My experience is that better players generally walk and the smaller the bag the better the player.

If I see a bag with multiple brands that are a few years old with a bunch of wear I'm thinking "don't play them for money".

There's a fine line though between that bag owner being a "Player" and a weekend hacker.

I don't know. I'm pretty decent, and I think along those same lines!! :LOL: I kind of think you stole that from me, actually. 'Cause I've said it on here a bunch.

If you look good, you feel good, and then you play good. I probably don't fit the definitions of a 'player' though.

Pretty decent suuuuuuuuuuure 😝
Not a player riiiiiiiiiight

This thread is a betting player's dream.
Pretty decent suuuuuuuuuuure 😝
Not a player riiiiiiiiiight

I'm standing by those.

Because this thread is a betting player's DREAM. :LOL:

It’s all about the costume (clothes) and not so much what’s in the bag. If there is attention to detail with the costume then there’s a chance he or she is a player.

It ain’t me. Too wobbly.

I play enough low end public courses. I’ve seen some beautiful practice swings. Nice tempo, transfer, the swing has it all.

Then they step up and their swing changes 1000%. Usually gets stupid fast with corresponding results.

They aren’t players either.

However if they make that same swing (sometimes they do) when actually hitting, those are the players.

A player can take any equipment and turn in a respectable score (within reason, no LH for a RH golfer, etc).

If I see a guy on the range and he is flighting balls at certain pins and just working that probably indicates a player.

Maybe a 905R driver....some V-steel fairways....X16 Pro irons... Vokeys and a white hot.
Hold onto your wallet.

dirty, disheveled towel

stand bag (if not using a power or pushcart)

dark spot in the middle of the club faces

I'm worried about you.

You walk onto the range or past a row of golf bags by the first tee. One of the bags sticks out as being a true “players” bag.

Where does it talk about the golf swing lmao!?

bless your heart, Daniel.

dirty, disheveled towel

stand bag (if not using a power or pushcart)

dark spot in the middle of the club faces

I’m all of that, if you replace dark spots in the middle of club faces with sky mark on driver.

With all the posers out there who are new equipment junkies, especially at private clubs, It’s hard for me to tell based solely on the clubs and bag unless it a college team bag. At my last club you could tell who where NOT players by the matching bag and newest set of clubs that was usually 14 Titleist clubs complete with a Cameron putter or a full PXG bag also with a Scotty.

If the bag has their name on it with 5 Vokey wedges and all of the irons look to be used, cared for, and not abused

I would hate to know what I am if @OldandStiff doesnt consider himself a player!

I subscribe to the feel confident and you will play well... layman's terms - look good - play good and if you dont play good at least you look good doing it! haha

A well worn college bag, with blade irons showing plenty of bag chatter and the paint fill on the backs and soles is missing. Small worn out spot in the middle of the face. Likely newer fairways and driver, and newer wedges. New grips on all the clubs, and a blade putter.

Funny, I never notice bags or clubs on the range. I very much notice swings I like, usually first by the sound.

Same. Don't care what's in the bag, or what the bag looks like.

The sound of a smooth swing is pretty consistent, even without striking a ball.

I played with a younger guy last year. He is the son-in-law of a buddy's brother-in-law. I got lucky and nearly drove the 1st green on a short par 4. He jumped around and said "I knew you were good from your shoes!" Mmmm...kay. Just some beat up old Adidas...

I thought that was pretty funny. Turned out the guy was quite the stick himself. I think he drove 3 greens that day... with his 3 wood. We probably should have backed him up a tee box...

I get nervous when I see someone with a set of modern woods and newer wedges, but irons that have clearly been in the bag for a long time. Leads me to think they've got them dialed in.

I'm guilty. I always look at someones bag-usually just to see what kind of clubs people are playing. That being said a bag that looks like a "players bag" doesn't necessarily mean that the golfer is a "player." I played the other day with a guy who had a old set of Nike blades in the bag, Volkey wedges and a old school Bulls Eye type putter. His game did not match his bag however.

im going to play along with what was specifically asked- and im going into this with sarcastic answers because i believe this was a sarcastic question.
scotty cameron staff bag
titleist blades
titelist wedges
titleist woods
scotty cameron 009 tour putter
scotty cameron headcovers, putter, hybrids, woods
alignment sticks
titleist umbrella
titleist glove velcroed around handle
scotty cameron towel

A well worn college bag, with blade irons showing plenty of bag chatter and the paint fill on the backs and soles is missing. Small worn out spot in the middle of the face. Likely newer fairways and driver, and newer wedges. New grips on all the clubs, and a blade putter.

Agree with all of this except the putter. Nowadays mallets are everywhere including the PGA Tour. Of the top ten putters(strokes gained) last year, five of them use blade putters but two of those five blades are Kuchar's and Bryson's somewhat unconventional arm-lock putters.

Back