Lets chat about Centershaft Putters

I putted CS mallets for years prior to my SL Marxman. I was very hesitant to change, but I love the Marxman and I'm glad I made the move. I think I could move back, but not sure why I'd want to.

Can't say that I've seen Bettinardi mentioned yet, but I might have missed it. I putted with a number of CS putters and had great success with them. I've got two different versions of a BB 43. Bettinardi also has a SS 28 Slotback and their Inovia 6.0 line boasts CS model also. Can't say that CS putters haven't been good to me and I'd say I'm a big fan.

I have been using SeeMore so long that anything that is not center or very near center shaft or has offset just looks strange to me.

Oh virtually every putter manufacturer with a reasonably sized product line is going to have center shafted putters. Here's mine.
s-l640.jpg

I've used center-shafted putters for decades. I'm one who likes my eye-line to be directly over the ball. Center shafted putters are best for players that prefer that eye-line. It's easy to align the face. Also, center-shafted putters are almost always face-balanced putters, which is generally preferred. My putting stroke focuses on a straight back / straight-forward motion. So, it all works for me.

I love Center Shafted Putters. I recently just had a T22 Converted to a Center Shafted. Many think that Center Shafted Putters are the best for a straight back and straight through putting stroke. That is true, but not completely true. Toe Hang plays a large roll in which center shafted putter will work for you. Face Balanced is the best for SB - ST. I have a minor gated stroke, almost SB-ST, so my newest creation has a little toe hang. The pictures below are of my Center Shafted stable of putters and the various toe hangs. I have two Scotty's, A Sizemore XM-1 Mallet (a classic CS, probably one of the softest non insert face you will ever feel), and what I think is a huge sleeper, the Cleveland IMG_3584.JPGIMG_3585.JPGIMG_3582.jpg
Cameron Select Newport 2.6 Deep Milled
IMG_3591.JPGIMG_3592.JPG
Various toe hang for different stroke
s. IMG_3587.JPG
Bruce Sizemore XM-1
IMG_3588.JPGIMG_3589.JPG
Huntington Beach 10.5 (awesome deep milling).
IMG_3594.JPGIMG_3595.JPG

Yeah I can't stand a center shafted putter. It feels all kinds of wrong and I might as well be putting with a jump rope.
Funny I feel the same way when I try to go back to a Plumbers neck putter. Feels foreign to me.

I've tried this out and honestly didn't like the feel
I thought everything about the Wingman was great except the insert. Sound terrible and felt cheap. The rest of the design is great, super stable and lines the ball up like nothing else. I hope they come out with one that has a different insert.

Funny I feel the same way when I try to go back to a Plumbers neck putter. Feels foreign to me.

And I’m completely at home with a plumber’s neck putter. It’s odd how subjective sound, feel and comfort at address can be. Actually even the way CS putters feel through the stroke is awkward to me. I literally have no face control with them on long putts.

And I’m completely at home with a plumber’s neck putter. It’s odd how subjective sound, feel and comfort at address can be. Actually even the way CS putters feel through the stroke is awkward to me. I literally have no face control with them on long putts.
I believe putting and a particular style of putter is related to your dominant eye and whether your eyes are inside over or inline with the ball at sset up.

I believe putting and a particular style of putter is related to your dominant eye and whether your eyes are inside over or inline with the ball at sset up.

That makes sense. Although it would seem to affect path and alignment more than feel in the hands. Of course I know nothing so there’s that.

Ive been a putter ho for longer than id like to admit. I know there are a ton of us out there. @KEV the president of our support group has been fiddling around with some center shafted options for sometime and until this season.....ive avoided to switch.

Well, I snagged a centershafted Scotty and I love it. Love is relative because my putting generally blows. So lets say, I caught some lightening in a bottle and rode the wave for a while this year haha.

Do you use them?
Do you have an interest?
Have you tried one?
Benefits?
Drawbacks?

Other than Odyssey, Scotty Cameron or TaylorMade I dont actually know of many other companies producing ceter shafted models. Why not? Theyve got 25 other head shapes and shaft bends to fit to a players tendencies...
I have actually been the opposite of you. I've always used a center shafted putter and decided to switch about a year and a half ago after hearing Ian from TXG say he thought it was harder to make putts with a CS putter than a heel shafted because the CS would have a 2 sided miss. Meaning you could have more off center hits with the CS or something. I gave it my best try with a heel shafted Spider and the EXO Marxman, didn't really make anything with either, missed many 3-5 footers. Then @jdtox decided he didn't like the Cleveland Premier Soft 10.5C. The rest has been history. I will never go away from CS again. @LLIB can vouch that my putting has been night and day since switching back. It's the 5-10 footers that I notice going in more and more. No, I don't make everything but I feel like I will and that is important. Confidence!! Won't look back.

I first had a BB-43 (center shafted blade) and putted well with it. Still don't remember why I sold it years ago, around 2006.

Then I had a SeeMore FGP in '99, then a mFGP in 2007 - I liked it but Edel says I aimed it a few inches left ... I was making compensations. I gave it up around 2013.

From Edel, I discovered that heel shafted, low to no offset with some type of mallet head worked best for me. So, that's my story.

Oh virtually every putter manufacturer with a reasonably sized product line is going to have center shafted putters. Here's mine.
View attachment 8977335

I've used center-shafted putters for decades. I'm one who likes my eye-line to be directly over the ball. Center shafted putters are best for players that prefer that eye-line. It's easy to align the face. Also, center-shafted putters are almost always face-balanced putters, which is generally preferred. My putting stroke focuses on a straight back / straight-forward motion. So, it all works for me.
This is one of the primary reasons I’m liking them more and more.

View attachment 8977335

Side note, this shape of whatever it is reminds me of Batman.

My current putter is a SeeMore PTM3 platinum that I was fit into back in 2014. It left the bag when I tested a Cleveland Huntington Beach CS6 which played very similarly to the SeeMore. Probably the best value in putters out there. I played a Marxman S for a while because I wanted to try something else, but went back to the SeeMore. Face balanced at impact is a real strength, and the RST is the best alignment system out there. I have nothing but love for CS putters

My current putter is a SeeMore PTM3 platinum that I was fit into back in 2014. It left the bag when I tested a Cleveland Huntington Beach CS6 which played very similarly to the SeeMore. Probably the best value in putters out there. I played a Marxman S for a while because I wanted to try something else, but went back to the SeeMore. Face balanced at impact is a real strength, and the RST is the best alignment system out there. I have nothing but love for CS putters
Man I agree the value you get on the Cleveland HB lineup is tops...

I say all the time I think everyone could benefit from using RST at some point, it's such a good system. I find myself going back to it quite often and refer to it as my "training wheels" to my buddies.

Holy freaking crap @KEV......he bought a Te22, then “converted it to a Centershafted putter”.
Lefty center shaft guy @Jank might have someone pushing him for craziest centershaft guy after all. 😂😂😂😂

That Scotty is a thing of beauty! I've actually been contemplating sending my Rossie in to get converted to center shaft and then getting a copper insert for it.

Holy freaking crap @KEV......he bought a Te22, then “converted it to a Centershafted putter”.
Lefty center shaft guy @Jank might have someone pushing him for craziest centershaft guy after all. 😂😂😂😂
May I clarify.... I bought a T22 (came from California), then sent it to California to the Cameron Custom Shop to be Stamped, then it was sent back to NY, then I sent it back to Northern California to Norcal putters to be made into a Center Shafted Putter, then shipped back to NY. This putter has Gone Coast to Coast and back 3 times...lol

I say all the time I think everyone could benefit from using RST at some point, it's such a good system. I find myself going back to it quite often and refer to it as my "training wheels" to my buddies.

That Scotty is a thing of beauty! I've actually been contemplating sending my Rossie in to get converted to center shaft and then getting a copper insert for it.
Do it! Do it! Do it! ;)

Reactions: KEV
Do it! Do it! Do it! ;)
Darn enablers. I'll have to reach out to Norcal to see how much it would cost. I've done zero research on who else does that and cost.

Darn enablers. I'll have to reach out to Norcal to see how much it would cost. I've done zero research on who else does that and cost.
It if helps I researched the usual suspect and found Norcal. I explained what I wanted and he had plenty of examples of similar work he had done. After several conversations with others, it became apparent that Norcal was the guy for the job. What impressed me was that he got the toe hang exactly the way I wanted it. And to top it all off, his work is clean and top notch.

• Appreciation
You could always try Flanigan Built Putters, check him out on Facebook, been following for a while with all of the club re-finishing he does, could be an alternative.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@PKorf I sincerely hope that your new grip helps quiet your wrists... I never thought you'd actually take my suggestion and go that route. I was thinking that armlock would help since it's supposed to take the wrists out of the putting stroke entirely.

But, if that or the wrist support grip thingy don't work for you, there's always the 2 thumb grip. I think @Jman reviewed that one time... the wide putter grip where you put both thumbs on it going down the shaft.

I'll help you spend your $$:cool::D:ROFLMAO:

@PKorf I sincerely hope that your new grip helps quiet your wrists... I never thought you'd actually take my suggestion and go that route. I was thinking that armlock would help since it's supposed to take the wrists out of the putting stroke entirely.

But, if that or the wrist support grip thingy don't work for you, there's always the 2 thumb grip. I think @Jman reviewed that one time... the wide putter grip where you put both thumbs on it going down the shaft.

I'll help you spend your $$:cool::D:ROFLMAO:
Well, look,there’s a few things that will happen. #1 I have 2-3 gamers. They aall need bent. #2 I’ll pick one and have it installed. #3 the comparison. I’m not afraid of spending $30 to a potential fix. I’m also not afraid to lose $30 to try something new and hate it. Lol

All the talk about the Wingman made me grab Goose from the garage and give it a few rolls. The sound doesn’t bother me too much, TBH. It has such a good weight as well.

09AE5677-E2E0-4079-8804-266DF52503D4.jpeg337A477A-63FE-4A1F-9781-30A498A4DDEE.jpeg

I thought everything about the Wingman was great except the insert. Sound terrible and felt cheap. The rest of the design is great, super stable and lines the ball up like nothing else. I hope they come out with one that has a different insert.
Totally agree... insert was not good IMO

Back