Is Wind a Deal Breaker for Golf?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I'll be honest, I hate playing in wind. It just aggravates me, especially when it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
Especially when the weather is only "okay" - I avoid playing if the fan is turned up at all.

Anyone else the same way?

Doesn’t bother me. I feel like it would bother me more if I were a better player, but I don’t know what the ball is going to do even without wind 🤷‍♂️

lol, Welcome to Texas.....its windy

It is a deal breaker for me this time of year, I don’t care too much during the warmer seasons, but if it’s windy and less than 50 degrees, I will usually not play.

I just lower my expectations. I think heavy rain or really hot/cold days are my no-go’s.

Depends on mph of wind. We played early in the year, on a flat course with not many wind breaks, and 35+ mph gusts...it was miserable.

If its colder, and windy, also maybe a no go. Wind makes a cool day, pretty cold.

Never. I like playing in all conditions except unreasonably hot.

When it's windy, I just compensate and laugh when it doesn't go as planned. This is santa ana season here and I've never shied away from a round. Friday we had gusts of 45mph. Barely even a breeze in my book.

It is a deal breaker for me this time of year, I don’t care too much during the warmer seasons, but if it’s windy and less than 50 degrees, I will usually not play.
I get way worse in the late fall or wintery months. I'll play in calm 45 degree days 10 times out of 10. Add in more than 6-7mph of wind and I am probably telling you to have fun without me haha

I am that way, Rain, i'd rather not....Heat or Wind, no worries

Depends on mph of wind. We played early in the year, on a flat course with not many wind breaks, and 35+ mph gusts...it was miserable.

If its colder, and windy, also maybe a no go. Wind makes a cool day, pretty cold.
"You have 150 yards to the pin, club up twice maybe?"
"putter."
"putter?!"

"putter."

I get way worse in the late fall or wintery months. I'll play in calm 45 degree days 10 times out of 10. Add in more than 6-7mph of wind and I am probably telling you to have fun without me haha

Wind with the cold in Ohio, I understand that as I used to Live in Columbus area.....Wind with heat, nah, lets tee it up

I like the challenge. Give me some wind.

Wind with the cold in Ohio, I understand that as I used to Live in Columbus area.....Wind with heat, nah, lets tee it up
yeah, it can get pretty windy here, which is annoying. My course is pretty open too, so there's no hiding from it, especially when it's a cold wind.

Don't mind a 1 club wind, but 2 clubs just sucks and I'd rather stay home than be frustrated all round

It makes it hard but everyone has to fight it, so I’d rather be outside and playing than inside.

Gotta keep it low
I do get a kick out of adding on 3-4 clubs and hitting it as high as I can, trying to blast through the balloon until it gets to pin high, and then plummets.

Not that doing such a thing is all that consistent, but it is pretty fun.

I'll be honest, I hate playing in wind. It just aggravates me, especially when it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
Especially when the weather is only "okay" - I avoid playing if the fan is turned up at all.

Anyone else the same way?
We are pretty fortunate where I live, in that we have so many days where there is, at most, a breeze. I am a horrible wind player and my sentiments align with yours. There are so many good weather days and my golf is not unlimited, so, I would rather wait until it is less windy. If I lived in Scotland or somewhere that is quite windy, I would have to adjust my mindset.

We are pretty fortunate where I live, in that we have so many days where there is, at most, a breeze. I am a horrible wind player and my sentiments align with yours. There are so many good weather days and my golf is not unlimited, so, I would rather wait until it is less windy.
Alright, I'm moving to Utah.

Nope. Used to be. Worked my ass off to change my ball flights and attitude and while it's still exhausting and annoying, if it's blowing, it's usually my advantage over most now.

Last edited:
Alright, I'm moving to Utah.
I’ll start looking for a place for you. Just think, you can ski one day and play golf the next. Just be forewarned, our housing market is a b____ right now.

I do get a kick out of adding on 3-4 clubs and hitting it as high as I can, trying to blast through the balloon until it gets to pin high, and then plummets.

Not that doing such a thing is all that consistent, but it is pretty fun.
We have different definitions of fun :ROFLMAO:

We have different definitions of fun :ROFLMAO:
I mean... if I am golfing in big wind I am definitely not having fun trying to score... May as well get my kicks elsewhere.

I’ll start looking for a place for you. Just think, you can ski one day and play golf the next. Just be forewarned, our housing market is a b____ right now.
You had me until the ski part. Sounds like a lot of work.

Back