I'm glad this thread popped up this morning it got me motivated to get off my butt and pull my rower out. I'm going to hop on mine shortly, it's time to stop being lazy.

I'm glad this thread popped up this morning it got me motivated to get off my butt and pull my rower out. I'm going to hop on mine shortly, it's time to stop being lazy.
And I am honestly glad you put that out to us :) I‘ve been a bit wasted the last couple of days overdoing training, diet, and even on Friday couple of beers too much :D however, got back on the rower after reading this and blew out 30mins.
So, again: thanks for everyone. This thread exactly achieves what my aim was: staying motivated!

Reactions: KEV
And I am honestly glad you put that out to us :) I‘ve been a bit wasted the last couple of days overdoing training, diet, and even on Friday couple of beers too much :D however, got back on the rower after reading this and blew out 30mins.
So, again: thanks for everyone. This thread exactly achieves what my aim was: staying motivated!
Today I decided to try finding a program on YouTube to try for the first time. Up until this point it was just me rowing with no real plan. The workout today was only 20 minutes but it kind of kicked my butt and it was only a beginners workout. I'll keep doing that one for awhile I think.

Today I decided to try finding a program on YouTube to try for the first time. Up until this point it was just me rowing with no real plan. The workout today was only 20 minutes but it kind of kicked my butt and it was only a beginners workout. I'll keep doing that one for awhile I think.

Link, please?

So I've only done the "Just Row" option on the PM5. Really just building up a base so I don't injure myself by going too hard too soon. I started out rowing pretty easy - for me with the damper set at 1 (or whatever the lowest setting is) , that turns out to be a pace of about 2:30ish for 500 m. The last 2 times I'm taking longer strokes, pulling harder (even though it doesn't feel like much more effort - more of a "puling the entire length" feeling, if that makes sense. Anyway - the new pace is closer to 2:15 for 500 m. Small win!

Did my 5k in 24 minutes this morning

Reactions: KEV
So I've only done the "Just Row" option on the PM5. Really just building up a base so I don't injure myself by going too hard too soon. I started out rowing pretty easy - for me with the damper set at 1 (or whatever the lowest setting is) , that turns out to be a pace of about 2:30ish for 500 m. The last 2 times I'm taking longer strokes, pulling harder (even though it doesn't feel like much more effort - more of a "puling the entire length" feeling, if that makes sense. Anyway - the new pace is closer to 2:15 for 500 m. Small win!

Did my 5k in 24 minutes this morning
I wish I had a better rower that I could track data better on. I just got a cheap model to make sure I liked it and I think all I can track is time and how many strokes. Maybe down there road I can upgrade.

The one thing I noticed about rowing workouts - while I'm doing them I feel like "meh - this isn't too hard." And then I get off the rower & I feel like a boxer that took one too many head shots, and walking up the stairs is a real effort.

It is deceptively strenuous - at least for me. I hope this also means that I'm getting more benefits than it feels like. That's why I really want to stay focused & doing these workouts for a long stretch - so I can evaluate how effective they are to reaching my overall health goals.

The one thing I noticed about rowing workouts - while I'm doing them I feel like "meh - this isn't too hard." And then I get off the rower & I feel like a boxer that took one too many head shots, and walking up the stairs is a real effort.

It is deceptively strenuous - at least for me. I hope this also means that I'm getting more benefits than it feels like. That's why I really want to stay focused & doing these workouts for a long stretch - so I can evaluate how effective they are to reaching my overall health goals.
My ab hurts today.

I hope this also means that I'm getting more benefits than it feels like. That's why I really want to stay focused & doing these workouts for a long stretch - so I can evaluate how effective they are to reaching my overall health goals.
There are quite a few indicators to watch when it comes to improvement: the intervall time, the duration of workouts, the heart rate you are able to maintain for a certain effort, and the watt output generated. Have a close look ;) rowing leads to quite fast improvements in the beginning.

There are quite a few indicators to watch when it comes to improvement: the intervall time, the duration of workouts, the heart rate you are able to maintain for a certain effort, and the watt output generated. Have a close look ;) rowing leads to quite fast improvements in the beginning.
I guess it's time to wear the HR monitor (Garmin watch). I use it for running - haven't thought to use it while rowing but it makes sense.

HR monitoring during the session absolutely makes sense. You can brilliantly monitor and control what training level you‘d like to exercise with - even depending on your state of fitness on that day. I highly recommend it. It makes exercising so much more sensible, enjoyable and healthy due to not under- and overdoing it.

for me today it was again a ranked 60mins row. Not trying to breaking PR, yet due to my increasing fitness it was one 😄 yay.
32EBE86C-3198-44FE-9A76-1171BB436E71.jpeg
Also the First time I rowed with some water. Drank a big sip every 10 minutes. It absolutely helped me compared to my previous longer rows. Totally recommend rehydrating if you row longer than 40-45 minutes.

Last edited:
Nice!

I finished 6323 m in 30:00 minutes. I'm definitely feeling like the faster pace of 2:20ish is not as hard - almost a recovery pace after doing sprints.

I also noticed that i have a higher stroke rate than yours (closer to 30 than 22) - but your distance would be greater (per minute). I assume that's due to technique (maybe not as good a technique on my part)?

Nice!

I finished 6323 m in 30:00 minutes. I'm definitely feeling like the faster pace of 2:20ish is not as hard - almost a recovery pace after doing sprints.

I also noticed that i have a higher stroke rate than yours (closer to 30 than 22) - but your distance would be greater (per minute). I assume that's due to technique (maybe not as good a technique on my part)?

Around 2:20 is currently my well-being pace. However, it varies depending on the overall duration I‘d like to row. Going 20-30 minutes would also work with 2:10-2:15 pace...

regarding stroke rate: I have quite strong legs which is the main contributor to powerful stroke. But going by 30+ strokes really stresses me out. I only do that if I am going for a sprint😄 don’t even know how some rowers do 35 -38 strokes. That’s incredible fast to me.

Around 2:20 is currently my well-being pace. However, it varies depending on the overall duration I‘d like to row. Going 20-30 minutes would also work with 2:10-2:15 pace...

regarding stroke rate: I have quite strong legs which is the main contributor to powerful stroke. But going by 30+ strokes really stresses me out. I only do that if I am going for a sprint😄 don’t even know how some rowers do 35 -38 strokes. That’s incredible fast to me.

and I thought of another factor: leg length.
One reason why you don’t see any elite rowers who are short. And I’m 5’9” so - short for a competitive rower

and I thought of another factor: leg length.
One reason why you don’t see any elite rowers who are short. And I’m 5’9” so - short for a competitive rower
6‘ here. What’s your stroke length?

Not sure. How do I figure that out?
E.g. in ErgData there is the second screen if you swipe to the right. There is additional data displayed including stroke length 🙂

Thanks! I'll check it out

Thanks! I'll check it out
Shoot me a PM if you cannot find it. You can also display it on the primary screen of ErgData. The two data fields on the right side can be adapted to other metrics. Just tap the field to get the selector.
6C830471-2A27-48E4-8823-60A42B829F74.jpeg
to increase pressure on my training: timed 45 mins bringing myself closer to my limits. Satisfied with the result. I think a day off tomorrow will be a good idea - especially if I consider to walk 9 quick holes tomorrow :D

88AF92ED-9FBE-4E0D-8528-D2C0C917BC62.jpeg
one more ranked row before the food coma arrives. I wish you a very special and joyful Christmas with your families. Looking forward to hear from you how badly your fitness level suffered during the festive season 😅

Had a (not so light) endurance row planned for today so will give a try to the „The @Desmond“ probably on Thursday or Friday.
However, still managed to get quite a bit destroyed today by rowing nearly all 60mins in the 150-160bpm HR.
View attachment 8978606
rowed 500m more on 60 mins than last Friday. So at least some progress is noticeable.
An hour in that zone is impressive. Keep at it.

Two more 5k+ rowing sessions: one yesterday & one this morning. It's getting easier to row for 30 minutes straight

I was able to get a quick row in this morning (2780m - full sprint the last 2 minutes)

I'm sure that will offset all the sugar and alcohol intake today;)

I have a concept2 rower I've been using during the winter for a number of years now. I'm 60 with an iffy back and knee, so I do my 30 minutes in 5 sets of 6 minutes each. In between each set I do some time on a cheap elliptical trainer and a set of free weight curls. Having music on the Bose really helps!!!

Back