Popped an aspirin and put the old man 5000+ meters in after work. Heart rate between 135-148 after I got going - let's see 220-65 = 155 = 100% getting too close but it was comfortable. I was controlling my breathing - barely. Resting heart rate is about 66.

I clicked on this thread yesterday and had Facebook ads for the hydrow today. It looks pretty cool, like the Peleton of rowers and priced like it. Maybe someday...

Popped an aspirin and put the old man 5000+ meters in after work. Heart rate between 135-148 after I got going - let's see 220-65 = 155 = 100% getting too close but it was comfortable. I was controlling my breathing - barely. Resting heart rate is about 66.
Guess I should have kept a HR monitor back when I represented them years ago. Put one on the Christmas list

I rowed in college and then for my first house I bought myself a concept 2. sold it about 11 years ago (the concept 2). LOVED the thing (hated it during college though - I preferred being on the water by far!!)

Grabbed a concept2 with PM5 over the summer. About 15 weeks into the ‘beginner Pete’ plan. Love rowing! It’s been a great workout. Been doing 5x a week. Certainly interested in a thp team/community!

Ok, since a few claimed interest in creating a virtual THP Team, I‘ve just created one: The Hackers Paradise - https://log.concept2.com/team/14829

@GolferGal @JB or any other mod: hopefully, it is OK using the forum’s name? Would it also be OK to use the logo as a team image?

For members without a logbook account there is the possibility to create a managed account. Captains of the team would then be able to add your sessions manually for team statistics tracking purposes.

Ok, since a few claimed interest in creating a virtual THP Team, I‘ve just created one: The Hackers Paradise - https://log.concept2.com/team/14829

@GolferGal @JB or any other mod: hopefully, it is OK using the forum’s name? Would it also be OK to use the logo as a team image?

For members without a logbook account there is the possibility to create a managed account. Captains of the team would then be able to add your sessions manually for team statistics tracking purposes.
I'm going to get in on this. I haven't used mine for awhile. No better way to get started than a little something to help with accountability.

Looks like the next team challenge is Jan 1-31st.

Looks like the next team challenge is Jan 1-31st.
Yes.
Please note: even though it’s a team challenge, every individual rower must register for the challenge on their own. Let’s row! 😎

I used to do it a lot at the gym but then started noticing it wasn't great for my back so I packed it in.

I used to do it a lot at the gym but then started noticing it wasn't great for my back so I packed it in.
In my experience, back issues (if not based on an already somewhat damaged back) normally result from either overdoing exercises with too much intensity (both, duration and resistance) or wrong technique. Did you consult a trainer having an eye on your rowing style?

while I have been in a rowing club in my kids days and being quite confident with my technique, I overdid beginning of last year my training and overtrained my back resulting in a days long cramp...

In my experience, back issues (if not based on an already somewhat damaged back) normally result from either overdoing exercises with too much intensity (both, duration and resistance) or wrong technique. Did you consult a trainer having an eye on your rowing style?

while I have been in a rowing club in my kids days and being quite confident with my technique, I overdid beginning of last year my training and overtrained my back resulting in a days long cramp...

I can't remember which came first, rowing affecting the back or vice versa. There was a moment about 6 years ago when my lower back started getting stiff and I noticed that rowing was affecting it. But for quite a few years before that I didn't have any issue with rowing.

I dont necessarily see an issue with it, as long as it is just a small logo for this site and virtual team.
Have fun with it.

Day two and getting to 5000M was soooo hard. Sorry I was cussing at you Des. Lol

Day two and getting to 5000M was soooo hard. Sorry I was cussing at you Des. Lol

LOL ... Slow down a bit. Get a heart monitor if you don't have one. It's no picnic for me. But I feel better the remainder of the day afterwards. Think I almost pulled a chest muscle on my first day after a drop off - had to run a Theragun Mini all over my upper body.

Believe I use an earlier version of this one.

I got a rower this year (thank you Covid). I've been rowing for a few years as part of CrossFit workouts. I did Row-vember during November as part of Dark Horse Rowing. I'll join the group!

LOL ... Slow down a bit. Get a heart monitor if you don't have one. It's no picnic for me. But I feel better the remainder of the day afterwards. Think I almost pulled a chest muscle on my first day after a drop off - had to run a Theragun Mini all over my upper body.

Believe I use an earlier version of this one.

I am good! I usually do a daily Peloton class off of my ipad. This is a good change of pace.

Signed up and ready to get going. I'll be switching it up between HIIT and SSLD. Plus mixing C2 and Assault Bike. But once Jan rolls around I'll try to get a good number of meters in for the challenge.

Finally! Managed to row over 100km since 26th Nov.
not much but I did my part to raise some money for the good cause!
14EB8703-2C46-4FC4-8A13-30BA16C80ABF.jpeg
Anyone else here who participated? Where are you currently in the challenge?

I have enjoyed getting into rowing. Knocked out 5000meteres this morning. It is a bit boring but ultimately great when you finish. Plus when I go to my Y the rowers are away from everyone else so very safe. I still wear a mask and that's like your car having an old air filter. Yuck.

Another 5000 meters in the books. I’m enjoying doing something different. Special thanks to Foo Fighters, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Keith Urban, Sheryl Crow and others for helping me get through it.

I was thinking about starting a thread for Concept 2 rowers when I found this thread. I finally registered on the Concept 2 site (under Grins) & asked to join the THP team. Looking forward to figuring out how to use the PM5 and do some of these challenges!

I got a Concept 2D last year because I wanted to do more HIIT training & that's harder to do on my treadmill.
Reasons I bought the Concept 2:
1) I figured the Concept 2 machine was easier to do HIIT safely compared to other workouts
2) it was easier for me to watch TV while rowing compared to other machines
3) more of a whole body workout
4) at some point I'd love to row outside
5) resale value - these things are built like tanks, and they are pretty much the gold standard for competitive rowers for training indoors
6) huge online community

I debated getting a water rower because it's supposed to be so much quieter, but I liked the idea of the online community - and then promptly ignored it.

I've been rowing 15-30 minutes a day for the last 2 weeks. My goal is to do at least 5k at least 5 times/week. So far, so good!

I was thinking about starting a thread for Concept 2 rowers when I found this thread. I finally registered on the Concept 2 site (under Grins) & asked to join the THP team. Looking forward to figuring out how to use the PM5 and do some of these challenges!
Perfect. Request is already accepted - welcome to the team!
Do not forget to register for the virtual team challenge in January - the first challenge the THP team will take part in :)
I‘ve also sent a training partner request to you.

Cool! I've never used the PM5 to connect to the interwebs - hopefully it's easy enough. I'll google & youtube it.

Back