One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

This revolution keeps growing it may require a renaming of the site to the one length paradise.
Oh this is nothing, should have been here back when the Mashie was released. It was a Tsunami.

Oh this is nothing, should have been here back when the Mashie was released. It was a Tsunami.
Are we takking about pre-loft jacking?

Are we takking about pre-loft jacking?

Talking about a club or clubs that the majority of THP became infatuated with. The Cleveland Mashie hybrids were definitely those. NOT talking hickory mashies. :ROFLMAO:

Talking about a club or clubs that the majority of THP became infatuated with. The Cleveland Mashie hybrids were definitely those. NOT talking hickory mashies. :ROFLMAO:
Just making sure.. Don't want to bring that back to life again! 😂

Is it worthwhile going to one length in the wedges if one typically doesn't full swing them? This past season set PW was the last club i would use with a full swing, would going OL in the higher slots have any benefit?

I remember the mashie.. I didn’t know it had a following.. I was not a fan.. haha

Is it worthwhile going to one length in the wedges if one typically doesn't full swing them? This past season set PW was the last club i would use with a full swing, would going OL in the higher slots have any benefit?
Going to depend on comfort and use.

They sold a TON of them.

sure. I didn’t say they were bad. Just I wasn’t a fan. Alien wedges sold a ton as well. Lol

One thing I've been wondering since I started on this OL journey myself and will definitely ask when I get fitted for RADSPEED next year.....why are the graphite shafts the same weight through the set (until the PW I believe) but the steel shafts are 3 different weights throughout the set?

One thing I've been wondering since I started on this OL journey myself and will definitely ask when I get fitted for RADSPEED next year.....why are the graphite shafts the same weight through the set (until the PW I believe) but the steel shafts are 3 different weights throughout the set?

That’s an interesting question. I’d like to know as well.

I’d say test and see what you think but I had OL all the way to my 56*. Took a little getting used to but it wasn’t hard to take some off each shot. The only thing I had to get used to was standing more upright compared to a wedge. I feel like that helped my back a little bit!

I’d say test and see what you think but I had OL all the way to my 56*. Took a little getting used to but it wasn’t hard to take some off each shot. The only thing I had to get used to was standing more upright compared to a wedge. I feel like that helped my back a little bit!
Did you find yourself choking down on the clubs at all?

Did you find yourself choking down on the clubs at all?

Rarely.
If I did, I was opening the face as well while chocking down.

I don’t believe that they did the different weighted steel shafts in Speedzone or Forged Tec. That approach may have ended in F9? I am not positive, but I am pretty certain with SZ and FT, they designed the heads to play with any shaft whether steel or graphite. In fact, that seemed to be why the fitters I spoke to in early 2020 didn’t want to fit for OL, they seemed to think they needed to change shafts within the set. When I asked Jose about my graphite shafts, I believe he told me that I could play any shaft that I was for for and it would be the same throughout the set.

I don’t believe that they did the different weighted steel shafts in Speedzone or Forged Tec. That approach may have ended in F9? I am not positive, but I am pretty certain with SZ and FT, they designed the heads to play with any shaft whether steel or graphite. In fact, that seemed to be why the fitters I spoke to in early 2020 didn’t want to fit for OL, they seemed to think they needed to change shafts within the set. When I asked Jose about my graphite shafts, I believe he told me that I could play any shaft that I was for for and it would be the same throughout the set.

I’m curious to know the answer because Speedzone OL steel shafts appear to have slightly different weight (KBS Tour 80,90, 110)

With composite materials, flex, kick point, etc is independent of weight. With steel that is less so. So using a graphite set, rather than 7-8 seven irons accomplishes this correctly.

With composite materials, flex, kick point, etc is independent of weight. With steel that is less so. So using a graphite set, rather than 7-8 seven irons accomplishes this correctly.

Got it! I will definitely be looking at the graphite shafts when I get fit next year....

OK, I want to do this.

I'm on the OL journey and have been for 2 years. This will be my third year. I'm playing the F9s @ 7i length +1" and at 1 degree upright, Fujikura Atmos graphite shafts, with midsize grips which are actually a little big for me, but they seem to work. The original set was 5i - SW. My playing set is 6i - GW. The +1" makes them standard 5i length. I have no problem hitting them. I am more consistent with my irons from 6i - GW with full swings.

I use the standard length 5H and 4H, and in the winter substitute the Cobra 4 Utility for the 5H set at 24 degrees. Ironically the length of the standard 5H is not that much longer than my OL and the 4U is the same length. My 4H is a weapon I use for 205 yd carries, and like I said I prefer that at standard length. I traded in my BioCell Hybrids on the OL Hybrids and then ended up returning the OL hybrids for first the Epic Flash stuff that I couldn't hit consistently, and then returned those for the Standard Length F9 hybrids which I should have bought in the first place.

Where my problems start is at the shorter end of the bag. I keep going back and forth with a standard length F9 GW because I sometimes need a 90-100 yd shot and that extra length makes it difficult to get that. A full 110 yd shot no problem.

From there I use a specialty MD4 54/10 and 58/8 which I never take full swings with anyway.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I'm on the OL journey and have been for 2 years. This will be my third year. I'm playing the F9s @ 7i length +1" and at 1 degree upright, Fujikura Atmos graphite shafts, with midsize grips which are actually a little big for me, but they seem to work. The original set was 5i - SW. My playing set is 6i - GW. The +1" makes them standard 5i length. I have no problem hitting them. I am more consistent with my irons from 6i - GW with full swings.

I use the standard length 5H and 4H, and in the winter substitute the Cobra 4 Utility for the 5H set at 24 degrees. Ironically the length of the standard 5H is not that much longer than my OL and the 4U is the same length. My 4H is a weapon I use for 205 yd carries, and like I said I prefer that at standard length. I traded in my BioCell Hybrids on the OL Hybrids and then ended up returning the OL hybrids for first the Epic Flash stuff that I couldn't hit consistently, and then returned those for the Standard Length F9 hybrids which I should have bought in the first place.

Where my problems start is at the shorter end of the bag. I keep going back and forth with a standard length F9 GW because I sometimes need a 90-100 yd shot and that extra length makes it difficult to get that. A full 110 yd shot no problem.

From there I use a specialty MD4 54/10 and 58/8 which I never take full swings with anyway.
Glad to hear it’s working out for you. Have you considered. Shorter single wedge to accomplish that goal? Or just manipulating hands?

I miss my OL GW. That think was a huge weapon in my bag. 110 yards with scary consistency.

Update Time.

Played 3 rounds of Sim golf in the last few days and wanted to do an update on consistency as I know people have had questions about distance control. I have not seen those issues as of yet and have hit hundreds of balls. The gapping still remains the same as it was earlier in the thread and I am consistently seeing proper gapping throughout the entire bag.

I still tend to over swing the 5 iron at times, because it is so easy to hit, and mentally it is telling me to go after it, but generally reserved for using it off the tee box.

Where this has really taken a turn to the interesting is how easy the transition has been to the 9, PW and GW and where many believe they will struggle with them being longer. Genuinely that just has not happened on any full swings, and partial shots around the green, I have a shorter wedge in my bag, but honestly find myself using the One Length GW on most of the shots, outside of flop shots or bunkers, where I need immediate loft to get it up quickly.

Greens in Regulation are up nearly 30% from my previous 5 sim rounds (where I tracked it for this very purpose). That 30% sounds incredible, but I can say I am hitting more fairways than I have been too, both a combination of the driver I am using and teeing off with the One Length 5 iron or One Length 4 hybrid, dependent on hole length.

My scores are also down, approximately 2.7 strokes in those same 5 rounds, so there is that as well.

Im going to stop charting scores and stats now and focus the next little bit into just hitting balls and working on configuring the longer side of my bag around the One Length clubs. I think the 4 hybrid and 5 irons are a bit redundant in use, so will probably change that to a bit more loft and then figure out the rest.

Thanks for following along.

Back