Trying to Break 100

There's no reason we can't think our way around the course as well as a pro, in my opinion.
Definitely agree with this. Except I think most players are not very good at this - at least the guys I've played with. In my experience, high handicappers especially try stupid sh*t more often. And they also overestimate their average carry distance with each club.

Wonder how long golf sidekick has been playing. High School? College? Am or Pro?

Definitely agree with this. Except I think most players are not very good at this - at least the guys I've played with. In my experience, high handicappers especially try stupid sh*t more often.

We could go back and forth on this but the fact is you're trying to help others and I appreciate that.

Wonder how long golf sidekick has been playing. High School? College? Am or Pro?
Matt doesn't look a lot older than college age, so that wouldn't be very long! :LOL: He's an am, I believe he's around a 4 handicap IIRC.

OMG! Best 18-hole round ever yesterday afternoon! 48/45 for a 93! And first time breaking 100 on 18 holes since fall of 2018! (FYI, I only play maybe two 18-hole rounds on regulation courses each year.)

To be fair, I was helped by the fact that bunkers were out of play due to COVID and the yellow tee markers were more forward than usual on some of the holes. I didn't hit that many greens, but my wedge game was on fire (for me), so I saved a lot of bogeys. My favorite was a pitch shot with my 59 CBX from rough on a downslope from the green on one of the par 3 holes, landing about six or 7 feet left of the pin, hopping and stopping there. My first putt was within inches. Normally would pick up the ball but I could not resist tapping it in.

ChapelRidgeJan21.jpg

Lob Wedge Shot CR 12.jpeg

OMG! Best 18-hole round ever yesterday afternoon! 48/45 for a 93! And first time breaking 100 on 18 holes since fall of 2018! (FYI, I only play maybe two 18-hole rounds on regulation courses each year.)

To be fair, I was helped by the fact that bunkers were out of play due to COVID and the yellow tee markers were more forward than usual on some of the holes. I didn't hit that many greens, but my wedge game was on fire (for me), so I saved a lot of bogeys. My favorite was a pitch shot with my 59 CBX from rough on a downslope from the green on one of the par 3 holes, landing about six or 7 feet left of the pin, hopping and stopping there. My first putt was within inches. Normally would pick up the ball but I could not resist tapping it in.

View attachment 8986896

View attachment 8986897
Nicely done (y)

I just wish I could get out to play, but between lockdown and weather it isn't happening any time soon - but when I do get back out I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up posting in this thread about trying to break 100

Nicely done (y)

I just wish I could get out to play, but between lockdown and weather it isn't happening any time soon - but when I do get back out I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up posting in this thread about trying to break 100

I sincerely hope things improve there soon with respect to COVID-19.

Regarding the weather, there is plenty I don't like about central North Carolina weather (humidity, mold from the humidity, pollen to go with the mold and make my allergies terrible) but it is nice that at this time of year one can keep playing golf. Maybe not whenever you want as we do get some very cold weather and snow once in a while, but you can usually at least play reasonably comfortably several times a month even in January and February. On Wednesday it was about 49 degrees, bright and sunny. Not bad for January. :)

View attachment 8986896

View attachment 8986897
Congrats on a great round!!! Pretty sure you will break 90 this year.

I hit a new record yesterday, 10 lost balls in one round! Played a very tight course yesterday (Sand Canyon Country Club, Mountain and Valley courses) for the first time and played good, but not good enough for this challenging course. Off the narrow fairways is a lost ball with almost zero chance of finding your ball. Very high brush on either side. The golf course was absolutely beautiful though, with lakes and trees. Not sure I will play it again anytime soon as it gets frustrating hitting a flushed shot just a little off line, and it is GONE. The other two players with me also lost a ton of balls. Well, my first set of lessons in 35 years starts Wednesday.

I hit a new record yesterday, 10 lost balls in one round! Played a very tight course yesterday (Sand Canyon Country Club, Mountain and Valley courses) for the first time and played good, but not good enough for this challenging course. Off the narrow fairways is a lost ball with almost zero chance of finding your ball. Very high brush on either side. The golf course was absolutely beautiful though, with lakes and trees. Not sure I will play it again anytime soon as it gets frustrating hitting a flushed shot just a little off line, and it is GONE. The other two players with me also lost a ton of balls. Well, my first set of lessons in 35 years starts Wednesday.
Always frustrating to hit a good shot and not be able to find t because of a bad bounce or just no cut of rough between the fairway and the gunk. Good luck with the lessons.

This has been a weird golf weekend. I played 9 yesterday and 18 today. I feel like I hit the ball really well both days but did not score well. Something was just “off”. I decided to use the Cut Red balls I got in my Mullybox, and I think that may be the difference. My ball flight and carry distance with them were fine, but I had several shots that should have held the green but ended up slipping off the back. Even a few that landed in front of the green just released and skipped off. Frustrating.

I’ll see next week when I switch back to my regular gamers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been a weird golf weekend. I played 9 yesterday and 18 today. I feel like I hit the ball really well both days but did not score well. Something was just “off”. I decided to use the Cut Red balls I got in my Mullybox, and I think that may be the difference. My ball flight and carry distance with them were fine, but I had several shots that should have held the green but ended up slipping off the back. Even a few that landed in front of the green just released and skipped off. Frustrating.

I’ll see next week when I switch back to my regular gamers.

Got to play 18 twice this weekend. Broke 100 back to back times for the first time. Shot a 97 on a course I'd never played and had a lot of bad breaks on well hit balls that found tree branches. Next day shot a 98 on a course that normally gives me a lot of trouble with OBs and tight fairways, where I ended up 3 putting 3 separate birdie attempts and falling apart a bit on the back 9 (+6 over what I shot on front 9).

Got to play 18 twice this weekend. Broke 100 back to back times for the first time. Shot a 97 on a course I'd never played and had a lot of bad breaks on well hit balls that found tree branches. Next day shot a 98 on a course that normally gives me a lot of trouble with OBs and tight fairways, where I ended up 3 putting 3 separate birdie attempts and falling apart a bit on the back 9 (+6 over what I shot on front 9).

Good job on breaking 100.

Good job on breaking 100.

Didn't even realize I quoted you from my phone but thank you.

That's awesome! I broke 50 back to back 9-hole rounds during last summer, a week apart, 49 and 48. I thought I was on-my way to doing it consistently, then I shot of 56 on my next 9 holes. :cautious:

Thought I would give an update on my first lesson(s) in 35 years. Seems I am coming over the top, using my shoulders too much, locking my right knee during the backswing which causes me to have my weight forward (wants to see 70 percent of my weight on my back leg on the backswing), have my grip to weak (compensating for an over the top swing that results in a slicing motion and resultant fading ball), and have my wrists and hands too tense during the back swing. Lots to take in for a first lesson, and the transformation might take a while, but I am playing 18 holes tomorrow and will just work on my swing, not a low score. More to come.

Thought I would give an update on my first lesson(s) in 35 years. Seems I am coming over the top, using my shoulders too much, locking my right knee during the backswing which causes me to have my weight forward (wants to see 70 percent of my weight on my back leg on the backswing), have my grip to weak (compensating for an over the top swing that results in a slicing motion and resultant fading ball), and have my wrists and hands too tense during the back swing. Lots to take in for a first lesson, and the transformation might take a while, but I am playing 18 holes tomorrow and will just work on my swing, not a low score. More to come.
It will take time, but it is fixable. Hope your instructor gets you lined out. Just be patient with any changes.

Hit a 46 today for 9 holes! One of the lowest 9 hole scores ever. I cannot wait to get out and play when the greens are a little softer than concrete.
Congrats!!!!!

I remember when I broke 100 for the first time, amazing feeling. I hope you lot aiming for it get it, the you can move to the next goal!

Thanks. I’ve broken 50 on 9 a few times, but can just not hold it together for the full 18.
It will come, stick with it you have it in you.

It will take time, and don't be disappointed if you see some worse swings before it starts to get better

I went through a similar thing with the over the top swing and worked with my instructor for quite some time to get rid of the bad habits and build a better swing - slightly trickier as he had to work around some restrictions due to my back problems
Initially he wanted to see me go from one extreme to the other by over-exaggerating the moves, so I went from hitting slices to big hooks during the lessons, and then over time it eased back to nice draws as I found a happy medium

Back