Trying to Break 100

Definitely agree with this. Except I think most players are not very good at this - at least the guys I've played with. In my experience, high handicappers especially try stupid sh*t more often. And they also overestimate their average carry distance with each club.

I've had my share of bad holes due to bad decisions. But quite honestly, the breakdown holes most times for me are due to lack of execution.

I played my first round of 2021 today. It was a cool one on a soggy course with some mist creeping in for the last three holes, and I carded a 99. I went 51/47 with three pars and two penalties (one in the water and a lost ball).

I was surprised when I added it up at the end, as the round felt like a struggle in a lot of ways. My biggest problem was getting the ball on the green from 50-120 out. That’s been a consistent issue for me, and is definitely something I need to focus on in my next lesson.

I played my first round of 2021 today. It was a cool one on a soggy course with some mist creeping in for the last three holes, and I carded a 99. I went 51/47 with three pars and two penalties (one in the water and a lost ball).

I was surprised when I added it up at the end, as the round felt like a struggle in a lot of ways. My biggest problem was getting the ball on the green from 50-120 out. That’s been a consistent issue for me, and is definitely something I need to focus on in my next lesson.
Good start to the year!!! You will break 90 this year.

OMG! Best 18-hole round ever yesterday afternoon! 48/45 for a 93! And first time breaking 100 on 18 holes since fall of 2018! (FYI, I only play maybe two 18-hole rounds on regulation courses each year.)

To be fair, I was helped by the fact that bunkers were out of play due to COVID and the yellow tee markers were more forward than usual on some of the holes. I didn't hit that many greens, but my wedge game was on fire (for me), so I saved a lot of bogeys. My favorite was a pitch shot with my 59 CBX from rough on a downslope from the green on one of the par 3 holes, landing about six or 7 feet left of the pin, hopping and stopping there. My first putt was within inches. Normally would pick up the ball but I could not resist tapping it in.

View attachment 8986896

View attachment 8986897
Congrats on the PB! Always such a good feeling to set a new record for yourself.

So, here is an update on my first round after my first lesson. For starters, I had 4 pars, and my putts, most no more than 2 puts, and my drives, straight and long (except one LOL). Hybrid shots, perfect. Iron shots, mostly good, with two chunkers. And drum roll please, I shot an 89!!! My first under 90 round ever. And my back is not sore. I was hoping to just practice, but it ended up being a great round. The front 9 I shot a 43. Very happy right now. :cool:

So, here is an update on my first round after my first lesson. For starters, I had 4 pars, and my putts, most no more than 2 puts, and my drives, straight and long (except one LOL). Hybrid shots, perfect. Iron shots, mostly good, with two chunkers. And drum roll please, I shot an 89!!! My first under 90 round ever. And my back is not sore. I was hoping to just practice, but it ended up being a great round. The front 9 I shot a 43. Very happy right now. :cool:
Great playing!!! Congrats!!!!! You are going to break 80 this year too!!!!!
(y)

Great score, congrats! Looks like 2021 has some good things in store for your golf game!

Wow! Congratulations!

If it makes you feel any better, that score was actually a 98! ;)(y)

If it makes you feel any better, that score was actually a 98! ;)(y)

Aw, man! That would make me feel better if it hadn’t been a typo. It was actually 51/48.

I played a not so great 9 today. Driving was a bit iffy, but my chipping and pitching were both solid. I’ll use the wet ground as a partial excuse, but I wasn’t hitting it as well as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Having a feel good round gives you energy and an excitement for the game.

Awesome! Looks like the lessons are paying off. Continue the good work!

I wish I took lessons when I first started. It coulda started me off in the right direction. I feel like my game is finally coming around though. It took a long time to feel better about it and a lot of range sessions. I'm much steadier than I was a year ago. I don't have many triples anymore. In fact, late last month and early this month I had 3 straight nine hole rounds without a triple. I didn't break bogey in any of those rounds because I didn't have enough pars to offset the doubles.

When its possible and the course allows it, we've been playing 9 holes early in the week then the back nine a couple days later and combining the scores for 18 holes. I've steadily been in the 91-93 range. I had a couple back nine rounds at 44. The front nine has always been tougher for me. I shot a 44 for the first time last week on the front nine but the rains came and we couldn't do the back nine a couple days later. Makes me wonder if I coulda combined with the back nine for a score in the 80's.

Next month the time changes and we'll try to get 18 holes instead of breaking them up over a couple days. My playing partners work and can go out earlier. I'm retired but I rarely play on weekends because of my schedule and trying to keep the wife happy.

Well, the golf angels were not happy with me today. My hopes of maintaining some kind of momentum from my 93 a few weeks ago were dashed. Played 9 holes and got a 55. My whole game seemed off. I bladed a couple of chips across the green, something I almost never do. Three tee shots when so far left so as to leave my ball in leaves or pine needles on the edge of the woods and I needed to punch out each time, though at least I didn't lose any balls or have any penalty strokes. Golf is such a fickle companion!

Well, the golf angels were not happy with me today. My hopes of maintaining some kind of momentum from my 93 a few weeks ago were dashed. Played 9 holes and got a 55. My whole game seemed off. I bladed a couple of chips across the green, something I almost never do. Three tee shots when so far left so as to leave my ball in leaves or pine needles on the edge of the woods and I needed to punch out each time, though at least I didn't lose any balls or have any penalty strokes. Golf is such a fickle companion!
Glad you got to play, I would have loved to play today. :(

I think lessons are finally paying off. Played two 9 hole rounds this week (front nine Wednesday, back nine today) and hit a 98!! I don’t feel this is technically breaking 100 since it was two 9’s on different days but still to see only 2 digits in my score instead of 3 was amazing. I didn’t even choke on 18 when I saw how close I was.

My only concern though is my driver and 3w are absolute garbage. I only pulled out driver on 2 holes and both ended with triple bogey both times. I tried my 3w on two holes as well (just as second practice shots, never intending to play them) and just couldn’t hit them. My hybrid on the other hand killed it. So now do I buy more hybrids and just bench the driver/3w?

I think lessons are finally paying off. Played two 9 hole rounds this week (front nine Wednesday, back nine today) and hit a 98!! I don’t feel this is technically breaking 100 since it was two 9’s on different days but still to see only 2 digits in my score instead of 3 was amazing. I didn’t even choke on 18 when I saw how close I was.

My only concern though is my driver and 3w are absolute garbage. I only pulled out driver on 2 holes and both ended with triple bogey both times. I tried my 3w on two holes as well (just as second practice shots, never intending to play them) and just couldn’t hit them. My hybrid on the other hand killed it. So now do I buy more hybrids and just bench the driver/3w?
I went to a 5w a couple years ago, and I hit it much better than a 3W and better than my driver also. I only pull out my driver if I'm playing well and want to try to go for some pars. I don't even carry a 3W any more.

I went to a 5w a couple years ago, and I hit it much better than a 3W and better than my driver also. I only pull out my driver if I'm playing well and want to try to go for some pars. I don't even carry a 3W any more.
I took 3W out of my bag a year ago and don’t regret it a bit. I struggled making good contact with it, while I can hit my 5W a lot better and more consistently. And a well struck 5W goes a lot further than a badly struck 3W!

Glad you got to play, I would have loved to play today. :(
Yes, I would do it again! Keeping the "glass half full" mindset, not only would I do it again, but I can take heart in that my "avoid penalties" strategy seems to help as I didn't have any and if I'd had the two or three penalty strokes that I sometimes do my score would have been even worse. :)

Yes, I would do it again! Keeping the "glass half full" mindset, not only would I do it again, but I can take heart in that my "avoid penalties" strategy seems to help as I didn't have any and if I'd had the two or three penalty strokes that I sometimes do my score would have been even worse. :)

That's a great attitude. I'm a bit envious. I would gladly give up the distance between my driver and next longest club if the there was a significantly better chance of avoiding penalties. Dispersion may be little bit better with my 3h, but contact is probably better with the driver. I went through a period of topping the 3h last year. That made it tough to pull that club when the tee shot has to carry water as is so often the case at my home course.

Even on easier courses, the options of hitting my second shot from the adjacent fairway (driver) vs hitting my second after topping a 3h 80 yards isn't an easy decision.

That's a great attitude. I'm a bit envious. I would gladly give up the distance between my driver and next longest club if the there was a significantly better chance of avoiding penalties. Dispersion may be little bit better with my 3h, but contact is probably better with the driver. I went through a period of topping the 3h last year. That made it tough to pull that club when the tee shot has to carry water as is so often the case at my home course.

Even on easier courses, the options of hitting my second shot from the adjacent fairway (driver) vs hitting my second after topping a 3h 80 yards isn't an easy decision.
In my case, I also stopped carrying a 3H. My bag now goes from Driver to 5W to 4H and then up. Generally, I'm looking at 20 yard gaps from driver to 5W to 4H, though I can sometimes hit my driver further. I used the extra slots to add wedges. But, for me a lot of that was just declining club-head speed due to a combination of age and joint problems. Certainly younger, healthier golfers would not have this issue. The lower the loft the more club-head speed you need to get the ball up in the air, thus it got so my 3W even if I hit it well wasn't going much further than my 5W and same with 3H vs. 4H. Even my 4H and 5W I pretty much just use off the tee, though will try them from good lies if I'm generally playing well and just need to rescue a duffed tee shot and under those circumstances hit them successfully off turf at least some of the time, especially the 4H. Generally, I try to take advantage of the shorter clubs as much as possible because I hit them more precisely and consistently. To do this, I strive for bogey golf, meaning my goal is usually to hit the green on a par 4 or par 5 hole in GIR+1 strokes. There are exceptions of course, a course I know where a hole is short for its par value and such. But assuming I can easily make a couple of the par 3 holes in one shot, bogey golf gives me an 88 on almost any course, which is still a dream, but I've come within 5 strokes of that playing 18 and within two strokes of 44 playing 9. The bigger dream right now is to do that consistently!

In my case, I also stopped carrying a 3H. My bag now goes from Driver to 5W to 4H and then up. Generally, I'm looking at 20 yard gaps from driver to 5W to 4H, though I can sometimes hit my driver further. I used the extra slots to add wedges. But, for me a lot of that was just declining club-head speed due to a combination of age and joint problems. Certainly younger, healthier golfers would not have this issue. The lower the loft the more club-head speed you need to get the ball up in the air, thus it got so my 3W even if I hit it well wasn't going much further than my 5W and same with 3H vs. 4H. Even my 4H and 5W I pretty much just use off the tee, though will try them from good lies if I'm generally playing well and just need to rescue a duffed tee shot and under those circumstances hit them successfully off turf at least some of the time, especially the 4H. Generally, I try to take advantage of the shorter clubs as much as possible because I hit them more precisely and consistently. To do this, I strive for bogey golf, meaning my goal is usually to hit the green on a par 4 or par 5 hole in GIR+1 strokes. There are exceptions of course, a course I know where a hole is short for its par value and such. But assuming I can easily make a couple of the par 3 holes in one shot, bogey golf gives me an 88 on almost any course, which is still a dream, but I've come within 5 strokes of that playing 18 and within two strokes of 44 playing 9. The bigger dream right now is to do that consistently!

That's interesting. You and I have the same HC but somewhat different strengths and weaknesses. I simply don't have the skill to go out and bogey a hole by playing it safe.
The restricting joint issues you've described are not yet an issue, but at 60, I'm sure those are just around the corner. I simply don't get a lot of club head speed. Still, I could launch a 3w decently as long as it had a regular flex shaft. I've recently considering buying a new one.

I actually gave up the driver last year for a while and was doing ok with the 3h as my longest club. I hit that club about the same distance as I did my 5w but the hybrid provides a better option for poorer lies. I got rid of my 5w due to an overall frustration with my game last year even though it had been my favorite club for so many years.

The top of my bag is a definite weakness. But the fix is not as easy as just pulling less club and playing a shorter course.

I played a fairly difficult course this morning and shot a 106 that felt much higher. I was hitting my driver pretty well, but that was the only thing that was working. Irons and wedges were chunked and thinned the whole round. All in all I can’t be too disappointed with the outcome.

I am still alive. FYI.

Back