First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

I don't get the "too busy" look some say with the Pro's. Some want a cleaner look without identifiers but then say it's too plain. Others want some distinction but then say it's too busy. I think this is a nice mix of both really. Today's pics really do look smooth.

i'm sure people say other companies' "standard" irons sometimes look too plain. but i don't think many irons that are supposed to be for the better player are often accused of being too plain. it seems to me the better player almost always goes gaga for clean lines, sleek looks, and minimalism.

I took a couple of swings with the DCB and was surprised how far it went, and asked @JB to check the loft difference between the regular & DCB 7 iron. He checked and the DCB was only 1° stronger than the regular.
Yup, the AI in particular is letting them control
The flight characteristics even more now, making loft not need to go as low at times to stay in the window they’re seeking to hit.

I don't get the "too busy" look some say with the Pro's. Some want a cleaner look without identifiers but then say it's too plain. Others want some distinction but then say it's too busy. I think this is a nice mix of both really. Today's pics really do look smooth.
This sort of blows my mind. They look SUPER clean.

i'm sure people say other companies' "standard" irons sometimes look too plain. but i don't think many irons that are supposed to be for the better player are often accused of being too plain. it seems to me the better player almost always goes gaga for clean lines, sleek looks, and minimalism.
I would argue they’re ok with not being minimalist as long as it’s not ugly :ROFLMAO:;)

This sort of blows my mind. They look SUPER clean.
Totally agree. From the first moment I saw them, busy wasn’t a word in my head

They nailed the looks department for sure. I personally would like to not have "tungsten" on it, but I am sure that is a minority opinion.

Seems about similar size to “forged” on the Pro 19s, but overall this iteration seems much cleaner to me.

Yup, the AI in particular is letting them control
The flight characteristics even more now, making loft not need to go as low at times to stay in the window they’re seeking to hit.
I love this AI progression. As they build upon what they've learned from previous designs, I fully expect it to continue to improve.

I would argue they’re ok with not being minimalist as long as it’s not ugly :ROFLMAO:;)

the pros definitely aren't ugly.

I love this AI progression. As they build upon what they've learned from previous designs, I fully expect it to continue to improve.
Can only get better and more effective for sure

I am still super excited by the idea of them EXPANDING this line. I think it is such a great product, that adding to the range of golfers who can play them is brilliant.

I am still super excited by the idea of them EXPANDING this line. I think it is such a great product, that adding to the range of golfers who can play them is brilliant.
Yup, smart, and not half assed.

The DCB has a larger footprint & I found it more forgiving than the regular Apex...

The DCB will be the most under evaluated set on the internet and it might be the sleeper of the entire lineup.

Yup, smart, and not half assed.

Exactly. I feel like, from what you have given us, there is a very clear delineation between each of these, which is crucial. It isn't just slapping the name on them for the sake of it. If there is ANYTHING I have learned from spending time with the CG guys, it is that this line is really their "baby" and they are adamant about not putting anything other than perfection on that name.

Exactly. I feel like, from what you have given us, there is a very clear delineation between each of these, which is crucial. It isn't just slapping the name on them for the sake of it. If there is ANYTHING I have learned from spending time with the CG guys, it is that this line is really their "baby" and they are adamant about not putting anything other than perfection on that name.
Yup, and it’s why they won’t budge from the 2 year timeline

The DCB will be the most under evaluated set on the internet and it might be the sleeper of the entire lineup.
This won’t surprise me one iota

Very well stated.

You know I have pounded more balls than I like to admit with both the Regular & DCB, testing all parts of the face of both sets... I liked the DCB better...

For a visual size comparison, here is the DCB vs the ZX5

EB8A0A69-45C9-4A0F-BBA2-23F158C1638E.jpeg

Wow. Holy amazing tech Batman! Great write-up James. I would normally default to the Apex 21 as my iron of choice from the Apex line-up, but the it sounds as though a less than stellar iron ball striker like myself could play the Pro with success. The DCB is a very nice addition to the Apex line-up.

Seems about similar size to “forged” on the Pro 19s, but overall this iteration seems much cleaner to me.

I agree it's a cleaner presentation than the previous version, but it bugs me for some reason. Again I know I am in the minority (party of 1) but it's not enough to make me not want to hit them and have them in the bag if they work.

Back