I'm glad you enjoyed it. I got worried halfway through that I was ranting too much haha
No need to worry. :LOL: I don't think you came across that way. It's one of the most passionate issues in golf so we're going to have strong opinions on it.

BTW, I'm all for a cheeseburger, if it is cheese, not some processed cheese deal. Give me cheddar, swiss, bleu, colby, gouda or even mozzerella, or give me a hamburger. With an over-easy egg.

Ref and shot clock with each group....perfect @JB 100% agree.

Lots to take in here. I don’t know what a hamburg is. Cheesburgs only. While pros losing balls makes them more relatable, the rules are way too penal. See Bryson’s lost ball at the Masters or Rory’s lost ball at the CJ Cup. And having an official with each group would be such a simple solution for these rules infractions!

pros wouldn't finish a round in under 8 hours if they had to look for their own balls and then the ensuing lost ball back to the tee march.

I agree a whole bunch with the pros having to find their own balls and for having an official with each group. @Canadan and @JB, this is one of the best of "Off Course." There is so much good stuff in it. It will definitely get another listen or two to really pay attention to the distance discussion.
Thank you so much.

pros wouldn't finish a round in under 8 hours if they had to look for their own balls and then the ensuing lost ball back to the tee march.
Ok, let'em have the volunteers help and give them a minute.

And we can all admit we don't play by the same rules as the pros.

Loved the show fellas. The distance perspective is right on with that I was thinking. You both added to it in a way that I wasn't fully looking towards, but the points you both made were spot on. It's hard to find a contrasting opinion unless your the PGA and the individuals who wrote the paper. My guess is, they don't even believe their own paper. To think the game needs to come backwards, is dumb. They have thousands, if not millions of non Tour persons who watch and play the game, these are the people buying and playing the game. If you think taking away from that fun or making it harder for THEM, is the answer? Then I have some beach front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you.

Also, cheeseburgers...1000%

My youngest daughter orders a plain cheeseburger....plain, you read that correctly....but at least it has cheese. And she's 10, sooooooo. :ROFLMAO:

@Canadan a McDouble and fries is only $5.86 CDN :rolleyes: #canadianbeef

In all seriousness, however this was a very entertaining listen. I was as shocked as Dan to @JB's opinion of Reed's actions

I have not been able to listen to the whole thing.

I like the idea of rules guys with each group. I think the simple solution is to have 1 per hole. You dont really need one on the tee and it would seem they basically need to sit in the fairway. You would need 18 plus maybe 1 or two extra to go around for second opinions.

The distance thing is difficult. I can see some points of wanting to stop distance. And honestly in a lot of ways I think it is already organically happening. Drivers basically maxed out, plus it seems to me that they are making them more stable and adding some spin back which will slow the ball down a little. I think we are at a practical max in distance. Bryson is even planning on slimming down. While that may not decrease speed it could.

The only reason for a hamburger to exist is for those that are legit lactose intolerant. Not those that are trendy lactose intolerant..

Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. Hosted by Dan Edwards each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today JB joins the show to talk about the distance debate.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but we talk a bit about the new distance debate, Patrick Reed and more. This show has a lot going on and it is an episode you will not want to miss as JB Goes Off Course.

Episode 42 is here and Dan and his guest JB discuss the following topics.

The Distance Debate
Patrick Reed
Hamburgers vs Cheeseburgers
And so much more

Continue reading...

I enjoyed listening to the Podcast. One subject you discussed was the possibility of the Tour limiting driver size to the 430CC or 400CC driver size. For the past dozen years I've played sub 460 CC size drivers, most recently a 355 CC head (KZG SP700) and 388 CC head (S-Yard T.388) . My perspective is that anything above 350 is still a huge club head and 350 CC to 400 CC size has some significant benefits versus 460 CC. On Tour I expect no player would lose distance or accuracy by converting from 460 CC to 360 CC head size.

Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. JB Goes Off

Course.

That’s how I was Reed’ing it and was really looking forward to a good JB rant.

I’ll still listen cause I love y’all, but I am a touch disappointed, 😂.

Absolutely great listen @Canadan @JB! Many options are available to address distance ‘concern’ for PGA but rolling back technology in any manner isn’t the answer, IMO.
Loved the comments from @JB related to the Reed issue, every group should have a rules official to address issues real time and said officials should have a clock on players... problem solved...

Every club that allows walking should allow outside push carts... trail fee is a great solution!

now to the disagreement... while I absolutely respect @JB and his perspective he’s wrong on 2 points.... no way was Reed’s tee shot plugged and more importantly no way should ketchup be chosen over BBQ sauce when the cheeseburger also has onion straws! 😜

How about this....with technology today, maybe they are working on a golf ball that will max out at a predetermined distance... pick a number say, 330-340 yds... I dunno, somebody pick a number. Up to that predetermined distance, the ball would travel the same distance it would with todays balls and equipment depending upon swing speed, smash factor, etc... So, while not technically rolling back the ball, they’re just stopping it from going beyond a certain distance....

This would affect a very small minority of golfers (eliite amateurs and pro’s who may actually hit a ball that far) and the rest of us wouldn’t see a difference at all. Sci-ff? Perhaps, but we put a man on the moon over 50 years ago, i’m assuming they can do this... I’m sure plenty of reasons why this could be a lousy idea,,,, Anyone?

Great conversation on this Friday morning, thanks guys!

If they are rolling back the distance, we need bifurcation. I can see so many ways that the game differs between pros and the majority of the normal golfing population. So I struggle to see why distance on tour should have such a large affect on companies, as well as the average golfer. When I'm out on a course, I don't see many golfers overpowering many, if any, holes. I see more shanks, duffs, and water balls than I do overpowering shots that take out most hazards. We need as much help as we can get, so that golf remains enjoyable, rather than a task. I golf to have fun, and that's the way I hope it stays for us mere mortals.

I'm with @Canadan on the ball searching aspect. I get 3 minutes, a hope and a prayer to find a ball in long tall grass. The pros get multiple sets of eyes helping them on any given wayward shot. Maybe if the pros didn't have that help searching, they wouldn't take some of the chances they take.
Bryson found that out on #3 at The Masters, didn’t he....lol

Best pod yet. I truly mean that, that was some excellent back and forth deep thought conversation on the current situations. Truly enjoyed every single second of it.

Best pod yet. I truly mean that, that was some excellent back and forth deep thought conversation on the current situations. Truly enjoyed every single second of it.
Thank you my dude. It was great to get a lot of that frustration out hahaha

Thank you my dude. It was great to get a lot of that frustration out hahaha
It flowed SO well and was incredibly on point. I was curious how it would go with the topic, and I think you two did fantastic about open conversation and the big picture.

This is awesome if it’s true!!!
29A29E0C-DB93-4696-B48E-394E43C4A8DD.png

I hadn’t had a chance to give this a listen until today. Sincerely @Canadan, you do an incredible job. These are some of the more enjoyable podcasts I listen to and I have become a major consumer of podcasts. It’s something to look forward to on Fridays or the weekend.

I hadn’t had a chance to give this a listen until today. Sincerely @Canadan, you do an incredible job. These are some of the more enjoyable podcasts I listen to and I have become a major consumer of podcasts. It’s something to look forward to on Fridays or the weekend.
Craig, thank you so much my friend. That means an awful lot.

Great podcast @Canadan and @JB. Took me a while to get time to listen, but some very thoughtful conversation around this debate. Really appreciate all the work that goes into each of these. Keep up the great work!

Pretty good. Food segment was a bit lacking this week. 🙃

Back