One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

So basically if the clubs are given to you, OL is for you. If not, they are not? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
No I’m ready to order just not sure on shaft yet. Dragging my feet hoping for a selection miracle.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
No I’m ready to order just not sure on shaft yet. Dragging my feet hoping for a selection miracle.

All in good fun. Lots of great stuff coming to THP this year. Im enjoying following along as more get interested in single length and club technology in general.

So basically if the clubs are given to you, OL is for you. If not, they are not? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
In some ways yes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mostly it's the cost, the prices OEMs are charging for the latest and greatest is pretty cost prohibitive, and that can include the 2nd hand market where you may not get the exact build you want.

Mostly it's the cost, the prices OEMs are charging for the latest and greatest is pretty cost prohibitive, and that can include the 2nd hand market where you may not get the exact build you want.

Totally understand. It is why we offer such a good mix of THP Experiences that feature equipment. Some are 100% completely free such as the Grandaddy, Shaft Up, etc etc. Others have a cost with them such as the Morgan Cup, etc.

I had the same issue to start my OL journey. It is just hard fr many to commit $1k or more to "experiment" with a new set of One Length, especially when you go to stores/fitters and they are recommending not trying OL based on issues with the first release. I have mentioned before that I feel the OL revolution will keep growing as more good used sets are on the market. The cost to experimenting with OL on the used market is not bad. Let's say you buy a used set for $500 or $700 and don't like them, you can probably resell them at a mininum loss after trying them out. I think a lot of people that try OL will like them from F9 onward and once people try it and like it, they will then be looking at trading for new OL as it releases.

All in good fun. Lots of great stuff coming to THP this year. Im enjoying following along as more get interested in single length and club technology in general.
THP experience selections are like being excited for Christmas. Not only due to the chance to get some nice equipment but to meet other members.

I’m in. Speedzone OL 4-SW with the stock KBS shafts. Really looking forward to trying these this year once course and driving ranges open up again in the UK.

At 6’ 6” playing the OL set at 37.5” means they are in between the lengths of my old 8 and 9 irons, so it’ll be interesting to see how the new 4 and 5 irons play out on the course. All signs point to much better accuracy when compared to the 40”+ long irons I was playing!

Still undecided whether to add a OL wedge, as the SW is 54 degrees, or to stick with my VL 58 degree at 1” over standard.

I like to play a 3w and a 5w, so hoping the 4i will be plenty long enough to ensure no hybrid is required.

Can’t wait to get some hours in with these soon!

I just ordered the same set as you strawboater from Global Golf on UTry. Gonna try them out for 14 days and see what happens.

I stumbled upon this video last night. It's not a very well subscribed channel, and has very few views, so I thought it was worth sharing.

Thanks for sharing. I checked the channel out a bit. Not a ton of great content but has some stuff that may help. I visit 1 Iron Golf from time to time (website, forum, and Twitter) and it looks like owner and longtime OL proponent David Lake is putting together some video content to supplement his manifesto posted on the site. I’m looking forward to it and hope it provides some basic tips for those new to OL.

I’ll have my highly anticipated review of the most wanted (wait, wrong place) Diamond Tour Golf In1Zone SL’s later this spring. I’d imagine many are holding off on spending $900 for the Radspeeds until they see how legit this $200 set is.

I’ll have my highly anticipated review of the most wanted (wait, wrong place) Diamond Tour Golf In1Zone SL’s later this spring. I’d imagine many are holding off on spending $900 for the Radspeeds until they see how legit this $200 set is.
I feel like we already know. All these cheaper sets are pretty easy to analyze. I looked hard at the $185 gigagolf one length set. I'm actually using gigagolf's right now, and i think these "knock off" sets are severely underrated; however, if you just look at the specifications on these clubs you can tell if they are just cutting all the shafts at 37.25" or not. With gigagolf, pinemeadow and in1zone it really looks like they just copied the specs on the F7 more or less. Same lies, same offsets, same weights...kind of tells you there's no engineering really taking place here?

They may work perfectly fine, but the common thread I've seen throughout my research is there was a massive step up from the f7/f8 to the F9 and beyond because it's when Cobra really started actually thinking about the one length and designing around the true concept of it. At this point, you can ALMOST get used F9's for the price of the knockoff guys and I just think that's the only budget set worth it right now until I can see another budget company actually engineering.

But for reference...here are most of the single length clubs money can buy:
Cobra Golf - Forged Tec One, Forged Tec Black One, Rapspeed, Speedzone and F9 www.cobragolf.com
Edel Golf - Single Length Iron Set www.edelgolf.com
1Iron Golf - Blackstone, Pro Line and 1iron www.1irongolf.com
Wishon Golf - EQ 1 NX www.wishongolf.com
Pinhawk - Single Length and Vertex www.valuegolf.com
Pinemeadow - PGX Single Length www.pinemeadowgolf.com
In1Zone - Single Length Set www.diamondtour.com
Giga Golf - TRX Single Length www.gigagolf.com

I would love to hear from someone who bought one of the budget sets, but I just can't imagine the R&D is going to matchup there based off of everything JB has posted in this thread.

i think these "knock off" sets are severely underrated; however, if you just look at the specifications on these clubs you can tell if they are just cutting all the shafts at 37.25" or not. With gigagolf, pinemeadow and in1zone it really looks like they just copied the specs on the F7 more or less. Same lies, same offsets, same weights...kind of tells you there's no engineering really taking place here?

They may work perfectly fine, but the common thread I've seen throughout my research is there was a massive step up from the f7/f8 to the F9 and beyond because it's when Cobra really started actually thinking about the one length and designing around the true concept of it.

The reason I went with the In1Zones is because, unlike the Cobra's (and Gigas/Pinemeadows) they kept the offsets consistent throughout the set, similar to what One Iron Golf does. In fact, the In1Zones may be One Iron knockoffs. After I refine my swing a bit, I'm very interested to get on a launch monitor to test my gapping etc. It looks like many of the changes Cobra has been making, starting with the F9's, were designed to iron (pun intended) out some of the issues associated with OLs and normalize ball flight and distance across the set. This is seems contrary to the "keep it exactly the same" principles David Lake of One Iron Golf preaches. I'll be interested to see how gapping and ball flight differs between the keep it exactly the same sets and the more R and D based approach Cobra is taking. The difference will likely be the deciding factor between Cobra and One Iron when I'm ready to move up to a better set...But first I'm going to work on shooting in the 90s.

They are but I think cobra would argue the different offsets are crucial in the design of the one length club. That's the engineering piece I'm referring to. In the early stages when the F7 was basically nothing but a cut down shaft alot of people had issues with gapping...it's all those small tweaks that have made them that much more practical. IMO.

As someone that has been testing this, you are going to lose quite a bit of distance.
The head weights of some of the OL hybrids that exist are definitely different and weight placement is crucial.

Just an update - I butt trimmed a shaft 1.5" and added a 9 gram heavier weight to the sole of my 20* Super Hybrid, so the SW is unchanged and feels good at only 1" over my OL irons. Happy to see my smash factor went way up to 1.44 average. Dynamic lie is 0* in the neutral setting. Apex is lower than I would like to see at only about 50 ft, with a -4.68 angle of attack. I wish I could get these to launch higher!

I am going to try to find a Cobra OL hybrid to hit.

Just an update - I butt trimmed a shaft 1.5" and added a 9 gram heavier weight to the sole of my 20* Super Hybrid, so the SW is unchanged and feels good at only 1" over my OL irons. Happy to see my smash factor went way up to 1.44 average. Dynamic lie is 0* in the neutral setting. Apex is lower than I would like to see at only about 50 ft, with a -4.68 angle of attack. I wish I could get these to launch higher!

I am going to try to find a Cobra OL hybrid to hit.

We did the same here and never got close to the same speeds out of it. To increase that speed and launch, more weight would have to get added low and deep. At that point, you are going to start seeing a diminishing return, especially as playable loft could be altered.

They are but I think cobra would argue the different offsets are crucial in the design of the one length club. That's the engineering piece I'm referring to. In the early stages when the F7 was basically nothing but a cut down shaft alot of people had issues with gapping...it's all those small tweaks that have made them that much more practical. IMO.
I think it depends on your goal with OL. If it's just an experiment or you want to improve the consistency of your swing, it might make sense to get the budget set and see if it fits your game. If you're shooting 120s, a little gap between the 4 and 5 isn't going to make much of a difference. You'd be lucky to hit those clubs well with any set. If you play the Diamond Tours and decide it's improving your consistency, you might be more inclined to drop a grand on a full on Cobra set.

I feel like we already know. All these cheaper sets are pretty easy to analyze. I looked hard at the $185 gigagolf one length set. I'm actually using gigagolf's right now, and i think these "knock off" sets are severely underrated; however, if you just look at the specifications on these clubs you can tell if they are just cutting all the shafts at 37.25" or not. With gigagolf, pinemeadow and in1zone it really looks like they just copied the specs on the F7 more or less. Same lies, same offsets, same weights...kind of tells you there's no engineering really taking place here?

They may work perfectly fine, but the common thread I've seen throughout my research is there was a massive step up from the f7/f8 to the F9 and beyond because it's when Cobra really started actually thinking about the one length and designing around the true concept of it. At this point, you can ALMOST get used F9's for the price of the knockoff guys and I just think that's the only budget set worth it right now until I can see another budget company actually engineering.

But for reference...here are most of the single length clubs money can buy:
Cobra Golf - Forged Tec One, Forged Tec Black One, Rapspeed, Speedzone and F9 www.cobragolf.com
Edel Golf - Single Length Iron Set www.edelgolf.com
1Iron Golf - Blackstone, Pro Line and 1iron www.1irongolf.com
Wishon Golf - EQ 1 NX www.wishongolf.com
Pinhawk - Single Length and Vertex www.valuegolf.com
Pinemeadow - PGX Single Length www.pinemeadowgolf.com
In1Zone - Single Length Set www.diamondtour.com
Giga Golf - TRX Single Length www.gigagolf.com

I would love to hear from someone who bought one of the budget sets, but I just can't imagine the R&D is going to matchup there based off of everything JB has posted in this thread.
The new Wishon would be the most advanced of the non-Cobras, as they are very similar design wise to Cobra's Forged TEC (hollow body), but match the theories of Lake that every thing should be perfectly the same. 1Iron is using 20 year old designs (and Lake has proudly stated that), but unfortunately also believe graphite shafts are inferior and don't believe in flex as much of a concept.

Most other brands are adamant that every spec should match to be true OL, while Cobra would say OL is one setup, one swing, and that the minor tweaks (lie, offset) are things that help but should not change anything about your swing. It's similar to loft peepers in a way. Anyone who has a perfect enough swing can also easily have lie angles tweaked, but a lot of people get really hung up on that.

Last edited:
you're shooting 120s, a little gap between the 4 and 5 isn't going to make much of a difference. You'd be lucky to hit those clubs well with any set. If you play the Diamond Tours and decide it's improving your consistency, you might be more inclined to drop a grand on a full on Cobra set.

You hit the nail on the head. I’m just south of 120 territory and took a flyer on the Diamond Tours to see if OLs could bring some consistency to my swing. So far so good.

What will be especially interesting in my case, as someone who has played very little the last 5 years and never put much thought into my swing, is whether the OLs will cause me to experience the gap and ball flight issue that Cobra’s engineering is working to solve for, or whether, because of a lack of the ingrained variable length club swing bias, I’ll avoid them with the old school same everything approach of the F7s/clones/1irongolfs etc.

Last edited:
They are but I think cobra would argue the different offsets are crucial in the design of the one length club. That's the engineering piece I'm referring to.
While I’ll withhold judgment until I’ve got some of my own trial and error data, I’d put my early $ on Cobra’s R and D being advantageous, as JB has found in his experience.

Played my 3rd round with the Rad OL today. For the last 2 rounds I kept my FW wood and hybrid in the bag, forcing me to hit my 5/6i. I am equally comfortable with all of my irons at this point. Hitting the 5 as well as my shorter clubs. I was a little off today but I still love these irons. No issues with gaps.

& I found a total mad scientist garage OL YouTube today which I am somewhat considering for an old set of 775CB I have
:oops:

I don’t think the prices are that unreasonable- at least when discussing Cobra. I paid around 500 for my CPO Rogues in late 2019. I traded them in and received around 320 bucks, so my Rads, custom ordered, with the shafts and grips I wanted, including ARCCOS, were 670. Speedzones would be even cheaper. So preowned you’re under 500. Club for club, cobra is one of the more affordable manufacturers. If I didn’t get these Rads, I would have gone with Apex DCBs, and they would have been 1400ish.

HUDDIEJ OL UPDATE!

Hi Guys! I've seen a bunch of comments on these irons about helping or not helping low handicappers, I'm playing to a +1 to a 0 handicap at the moment and I'm known as a pretty good iron player and without a doubt I think that these irons can and should help all handicaps!

So, I've played 45 holes with the OL irons and so far and I'm kinda in love right now! My first 18 was played on Feb. 7th, it was 45 degrees outside and the wind was blowing 10 to 15mph all day. I started with an 8iron on the first, another 8iron on the 3rd and before I knew what was going on, I was 2under through 3! During this round, I drove the ball very well and put myself in great spots for the irons into the green. I hit 13 out 18 greens that day, missing 2 with the OL irons, a 9iron on the 9th (I had to go under a tree from the right side of the fairway, which got too much height and hit a branch) and a 5iron from 194 which I just hit horribly! I ended up shooting a 2under par 69 on that day and my first thoughts were pretty good. I believe that they launch pretty high in the air which I loved and with the higher launch I didn't lose any distance. In fact, I believe I gained distance throughout the iron set. For those in between shots, I would just grip just a little bit down on the club and make a good swing, which I loved the results. The 4-5 iron launched lower than normal, but nothing for me to be concerned about!

On to the money game I played on Feb 9th.
So, I always say that if the clubs and my swing with them can perform under the pressure of playing for money, then they might get a nod for making the my gamer set. And from the very beginning of our 27 hole match the OL's came to play! HAHAHA! I hit 23 out of 27 greens, shot even par through the 27 holes and won a little cash! for the first 16 holes, the OL irons kinda could do no wrong. On the 3rd, 4th, and 7th holes, I hit a push fade with them putting me in some trouble, but I was able to escape with 2 pars and a bogey. (The bogey on the 4th was a 3 putt from some 50+ feet) When I walked to the 17th hole, I was even for the day coming off a birdie on 15 (with a OL 4iron) and missing a makeable birdie on 16, and just cold cocked shanked a 8iron from 174! Like a dead shank OB! So, I had to retee and managed to hit my 3rd with the same 8iron to 2 and half feet to save my bogey! I didn't feel like I made a bad swing at it when I shanked it and really don't understand what happened, but I managed to hit another 9iron on the green on 18 and 2 putted for a 1over 72. Fast forward to the 5th hole (our 23rd hole) where I had 120 yards in and went with a OL PW, which I shanked again! Somehow I managed to make another bogey! But, on the par 5 6th, I hit a 5iron from 201 to about 20ft passed the hole for eagle! Overall, it was a great day and I was really impressed with the OL irons under pressure!

Some thoughts about what I was seeing with the OL irons, I definitely thought that the ball was going further and launching high in the air, which I kinda loved! But, with the higher launch, I wasn't losing any distance. I also could play all the shots that were needed to perform at a high level. The only thing that I would change is taking the OL PW out of the bag and replace it with a standard PW. It was just a funny feeling trying to hit a 120 yard shot with a club that's the same length of a 7iron. The low launch of the 4-5iron wasn't a problem either, with a slight adjustment in moving the ball up in my stance, I was getting the perfect height I was looking for. One other thing that will take some getting use to, is hitting the in between yardages with the irons. I feel that when you tried to take some power off of the irons, they would result in a high push fade. I also believe that these type of clubs could help every range of golfer. From the high handicap to the low. For being a low handicap golfer, I still felt confident over the ball and that I could perform each shot that was in front of me! I believe them to be very constant in how each iron was hit, but I will have to work on my distances with them. Sometimes they do fly further than what I was attending to do! I look forward in playing more golf with them after this horrible weather moves through and see if this hot streak will continue with the OL's!

If anybody has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

HUDDIEJ OL UPDATE!

Hi Guys! I've seen a bunch of comments on these irons about helping or not helping low handicappers, I'm playing to a +1 to a 0 handicap at the moment and I'm known as a pretty good iron player and without a doubt I think that these irons can and should help all handicaps!
HuddieJ I couldn't find the post...but what are you trying? What one lengths specifically as a recap?

Great write up btw!

Back