The Masters 2021 Contest and Thread Sponsored by Bridgestone Golf

haha, imagine Patty Reed did it?

That would have been hilarious - especially when @useGOLFfacts came to his rescue!
Reed or DeChambeau and the same people pounding the keyboard on social media are doing so, just with a 180 of a take. It’s comical how predictable it is

There's a lot of outrage on Twitter for this... Which I find curious because at the root of it, it's definitely a penalty haha

Absolutely sucks, and I am hard pressed to believe the idea that a rules official was in the bunker with him to see it, but it doesn't make it less of a penalty for hovering that low and moving sand.

It’s a rules infraction, but for me it’s not in the “spirit” of the ruling that makes sense. I’m not saying don’t penalize him bc sand was touched, but what I saw didn’t strike me as intent or Reed in the Bahamas.

They don’t give out Green Jackets on Thursday, ask Norman or Rory... This is far from over... I think we see a lot of low scores tomorrow.

Farrrrrrrrr from over man. I Like Rosey, just would rather see someone else win it. He played his balls off today though.

It’s a rules infraction, but for me it’s not in the “spirit” of the ruling that makes sense. I’m not saying don’t penalize him bc sand was touched, but what I saw didn’t strike me as intent or Reed in the Bahamas.
I think there are a lot of rules in golf that are designed to protect the field, not the player, yeah? Of course it's ticky tack and you never wish to see it, but if there is reason to call him on it (and they have a leg to stand on) I can't imagine why people wouldn't expect him to get called on it.

It sucks. Of course it sucks - but he also should be very aware of what's around his ball in a bunker, and not hover it that low.

...and I totally agree that what Reed was doing was WAY worse.

Reactions: JB
Early wave should get softer conditions, but sub air systems might have something to say about it. I’m interested to see Rose and if he can continue the momentum

I think there are a lot of rules in golf that are designed to protect the field, not the player, yeah? Of course it's ticky tack and you never wish to see it, but if there is reason to call him on it (and they have a leg to stand on) I can't imagine why people wouldn't expect him to get called on it.

It sucks. Of course it sucks - but he also should be very aware of what's around his ball in a bunker, and not hover it that low.

...and I totally agree that what Reed was doing was WAY worse.
I have no issues protecting the field. I think this was called in after the fact and I was under the impression that wasn’t going to be allowed anymore.

either way Ancer has some fault here being that close to the sand with his club, but for me it still feels outside the spirit of the rule and protecting the field.

I have no issues protecting the field. I think this was called in after the fact and I was under the impression that wasn’t going to be allowed anymore.

either way Ancer has some fault here being that close to the sand with his club, but for me it still feels outside the spirit of the rule and protecting the field.
I guess I don't really understand the rules, as Augusta clearly states it was reviewed;

“On the 15th hole during Thursday’s first round, Abraham Ancer unknowingly touched the sand before making his third stroke from the greenside bunker,” Augusta National said in a statement. “After Mr. Ancer had signed his scorecard and exited the scoring area, video evidence was reviewed by the Committee regarding a potential breach of Rule 12.2b(1), which states that touching sand in a bunker right behind the ball results in a penalty.

“The touching of the sand was deemed visible to the naked eye. Had this not been the case, the video evidence would have been disregarded and a penalty would not have been applied.”

It's very reasonable to claim it was visible from what I can see. That's a decent chunk moved.

1617933024971.png

I guess I don't really understand the rules, as Augusta clearly states it was reviewed;

“On the 15th hole during Thursday’s first round, Abraham Ancer unknowingly touched the sand before making his third stroke from the greenside bunker,” Augusta National said in a statement. “After Mr. Ancer had signed his scorecard and exited the scoring area, video evidence was reviewed by the Committee regarding a potential breach of Rule 12.2b(1), which states that touching sand in a bunker right behind the ball results in a penalty.

“The touching of the sand was deemed visible to the naked eye. Had this not been the case, the video evidence would have been disregarded and a penalty would not have been applied.”

It's very reasonable to claim it was visible from what I can see. That's a decent chunk moved.

View attachment 9002101
It reminded me a little bit of the Rahm penalty where he was called after the fact for testing the grass while waggling. He still won, but it seems similar to me.

I don't know how ANGC operates in this condition. I've little doubt that they had a leg to stand on if they called him on it though.
It's clear a small bit of sand moved. Most people would probably never notice it and in most cases I can't see where it would have been caught unless somebody is going back and specifically reviewing video looking for infractions. I definitely don't doubt it was an infraction. I would like to understand the motive of how it was found so far after the fact. I'm guessing it was at least an hour afterwards if it happened on 15 and discovered after he signed his card.

View attachment 9002101

it is, my confusion comes from the post round penalty. I thought that was done away with.

I’m thinking of this rule, but admittedly I’m not a rules guy so I’m not sure how it’s interpreted or applied:
Stroke Play
Rule 34b of the Rules of Golf states that a penalty “must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed” in stroke play. The exceptions involve disqualification penalties for infractions such as signing an incorrect scorecard.

A key factor in determining if a penalty may be assessed after competition closes is whether the player was aware of the violation. For example, if a player changes the weight of an adjustable club during a round, and the penalty is reported after the competition concludes, the tournament committee should disqualify the player if he knew he’d violated the rules. But, pursuant to Decision 34-1b/4, the committee may not impose a penalty if the player was unaware of the infraction.

It's clear a small bit of sand moved. Most people would probably never notice it and in most cases I can't see where it would have been caught unless somebody is going back and specifically reviewing video looking for infractions. I definitely don't doubt it was an infraction. I would like to understand the motive of how it was found so far after the fact. I'm guessing it was at least an hour afterwards if it happened on 15 and discovered after he signed his card.
I try and relate myself to the situation when attempting to understand intent - and while I am not going to claim one way or another on Ancer's intentions, I have a VERY hard time producing a scenario where he wouldn't be familiar of that sand clump behind his ball in a bunker. I see NO situation where he wouldn't be aware, and should have used more caution.

The aftermath is definitely curious. No doubt about that. I'm trying not to speak on it because I genuinely don't understand the logic behind it haha

Wellllllllll it is supposed to rain....

I live in Florida. I'm used to weather forecasts being incorrect at any given moment, at any given day :ROFLMAO:

I live in Florida. I'm used to weather forecasts being incorrect at any given moment, at any given day :ROFLMAO:
How dare you shame Paul Delagado.
But weather will play a role this week

I would like to understand the motive of how it was found so far after the fact.
Justine can’t review all the shots that quickly.

I thought maybe this was a new and strange nickname for me somehow. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I try and relate myself to the situation when attempting to understand intent - and while I am not going to claim one way or another on Ancer's intentions, I have a VERY hard time producing a scenario where he wouldn't be familiar of that sand clump behind his ball in a bunker. I see NO situation where he wouldn't be aware, and should have used more caution.

The aftermath is definitely curious. No doubt about that. I'm trying not to speak on it because I genuinely don't understand the logic behind it haha
Very true.

When he set up behind the ball after a couple of waggles it just got a bit of sand and then he took the swing. I can certainly see how he could have never known it moved since he didn't ground his club and then pull it away and noticed a flat spot. Unless he actually felt it move underneath his club he could have never actually seen it.

Tomorrow is going to be fun!

He's legit. Denis Phillips and Steve Jerve are also solid. They're basically all I can trust, besides going outside and being like that dude from Twister

Very true.

When he set up behind the ball after a couple of waggles it just got a bit of sand and then he took the swing. I can certainly see how he could have never known it moved since he didn't ground his club and then pull it away and noticed a flat spot. Unless he actually felt it move underneath his club he could have never actually seen it.
I have this question I'd ask back about that... If you knew there was a clump of sand behind your ball in the bunker, would you put your club this close to the ground before swinging?

1617934886936.png

I have this question I'd ask back about that... If you knew there was a clump of sand behind your ball in the bunker, would you put your club this close to the ground before swinging?

View attachment 9002106

No, you hover it like 2in at least. I get trying to get close to the ball for consistency purposes but eesh.

View attachment 9002106
No clue but I'm also not debating it is technically a penalty. I'm just questioning the method and motive in how it was found. In every other sport, instant replay has to be called/challenged to be brought into the games. This almost sounds like there are people sitting and watching video after the fact just trying to find penalties. I think my issue is only with it not being found and ruled on until much later.

And let’s be honest, like I said there, had this been another player they would be screaming cheater

i feel like first time offenders tend to be given the benefit of doubt. Others have a track record of iffy situations.

Ancer generally appears to be a level guy. There are no past issues I am aware of. If there is, I will change my opinion.

Back