2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just called in to re-start the gym membership and they gave us 3 free months for sticking with them thru COVID. Can't complain. Between the rower at home, having a gym membership and hopefully getting back out on the course more I can shed some pounds.

Oh yeah and eating better - need to focus on that.

Last week of drinking and eating on Spring Break was not good for the weight loss. Up 6 pounds in a week which will probably settle 3 pounds once I settle my diet in the next couple days from all the salt water bloat. But even 3-4 pounds in a week is terrible. Completely reset what I had been doing since the second half of 2020. Went for a long walk yesterday to reset and get my steps in. Going to throw the KB around and go for a run/walk.

I am strictly on the Non Pro bars FWIW, as they have over 100 less calories than the Pro. I agree they are really good.

To my shake, I don't do Coca Cola products, so no Fairlife, but I have actually switched to Almond milk there. Which I normally hate, but in a protein shake you can't tell the difference at all. Plus its 150 calories or so to about 30 and less carbs too.

So I go 1 scoop of protein powder. 10 oz of Almond Milk (or milk) and then 6 ice cubes. Blend in Vitamix or blender container for 20 seconds and good to go.
The fruity cereal shakes with Fairlife are very good. I wanted to try the almond milk but went brain dead and grabbed unsweetened oat milk. Still very good just some extra calories (80 per serving) and a few extra carbs.

The fruity cereal shakes with Fairlife are very good. I wanted to try the almond milk but went brain dead and grabbed unsweetened oat milk. Still very good just some extra calories (80 per serving) and a few extra carbs.

Yeah it is definitely a good flavor. Works great for me for breakfast or for dessert instead of snacking.

Cycled to the golf club, got around the four flag locations of the practice green for chipping twice, hit a bucket of balls, came back home... and got a 1h yoga workout in after lunch, as the masters broadcast winds up :)

Weight has remained between 61 and 62kg through the last month. I've put on some flexibility, but my backswing still feels weird. Filmed myself today, i might just be overrotating into it until i can't help but move my head. Now, how do i get rid of that :confused:

Went a little crazy on the snacks doe the next few weeks. Both GG and I have travel coming up separately and these will come in handy.

Didn’t have my Power Crunch, which is still my go to, but I have plenty left. She does Lara Bars for dessert and they are too carb rich for me.

8587832C-2DE5-4641-B89D-3A556044BE5F.jpeg

Went a little crazy on the snacks doe the next few weeks. Both GG and I have travel coming up separately and these will come in handy.

Didn’t have my Power Crunch, which is still my go to, but I have plenty left. She does Lara Bars for dessert and they are too carb rich for me.

View attachment 9002396
Not snacky enough. Too healthy. Those are like replenishments.

My daughter's extracirricular activities are making it hard to gym it. lol. That being said, I started back doing Weight Watchers with the wife to now try and trim up a little. Still going to continue to lift (when I can, at least till mid-may) when her softball season is over.

Down 30 lbs. since Jan 1.
My gym got some new equipment in that connects to my iWatch, so it’s easier to track my workouts:BE2146CE-3347-4566-989B-6A4FFD2F5895.jpeg

3 more lbs to go to get to sub 180.
Have a slim chance to get there by the trip next week, but not holding my breath :ROFLMAO:
The protein shake dessert has been a Godsend for me.

Back in the gym after getting the vax. Bounced up to 185 the past year, down to 177. 3 years ago I was 210, goal is 170. Like lowering an index , the closer you get to your weight goal the harder it gets. Diet is 80% of the game

The creep is real. I’ve got 30+ pounds that slowly accumulated over where I got to in May 2019 and where I’d like to get back. 220 is that spot and my goal. Unfortunately, the 30 I’m talking about now is what I lost to get to 220.

Late 2018, after recovering from some surgery, I joined my wife on this Optavia deal. One of her best friends was a “coach” so we figured what the hell. It was a great way to drop weight quickly. But, not so much for maintaining it. I could only eat meal replacement bars, shakes and pouches for so long. When I played golf, my energy was sapped by 12 or 13, even with adding a “fueling” or two.

I know I need to crack down on portion control and cut out my late night snacking. I need to incorporate more vegetables (no 🍆) in my meals. I plan to go with the intermittent fasting and start with an 8 hour window (12-8) to begin. I’ll add in walking or indoor cycling to get at least 30 minutes a day.

Who’s in? Let’s support each other!

I've been a chiropractor/kinesiologist for 36 years, and studied nutrition in undergraduate school before med/chiro school. I've counseled 5 of my patients who each lost over 100 pounds in just over a year, and have kept it off for 2 years, easily. And I've had similar success (they have) with 60-100 other patients who have lost 15-50 lbs. and kept it off.
The formula is common sense. Make friends with fruits, vegetables, grains and nuts, and consume these exclusively for a year, in other words: learn to cook.
Avoid all fast foods and junk food consumption, all Pro-inflammatory and cause excessive hunger and salt accumulation.
Walk 5-10 miles each morning- ( You probably walk about 5-8 mi.. when you play golf, oh I forgot, you probably employ a cart). To me, carts have no place on a golf course unless you're disabled or playing in Arizona in summer..
The walking takes at least an hour a morning, perfect for a pandemic..And the behavior becomes self inducing and addictive as you start to lose lower back, hip, knee, miscellaneous pains. This is very hard to do if like me, you are a single parent raising children.....until you train them to eat in this manner. I also believe that once. you achieve your desired weight and energy levels you can return to protein consumption. Fish and poultry maybe an improvement over red meat. It's your life and good luck!!

I got pretty depressed this morning when I got on the scale and it's still not moving. Yes, I have lost 5 lbs, but it's been over 5 weeks already, so I really thought I would see some more movement. I feel like my diet and exercise are on point right now, so I was a bit down this morning. It didn't stop me from getting in an hour workout and some extra ab work though. I refuse to feel defeated. I feel like I see some changes in the mirror, even if the scale isn't saying anything yet.

I am just going to do everything I can to stay positive, and maybe even stay away from the scale for a few weeks. I normally just weigh in once a week, but maybe I just stay away from it for a while. Besides, who cares what the number says as long as my clothes fit better.

I got pretty depressed this morning when I got on the scale and it's still not moving. Yes, I have lost 5 lbs, but it's been over 5 weeks already, so I really thought I would see some more movement. I feel like my diet and exercise are on point right now, so I was a bit down this morning. It didn't stop me from getting in an hour workout and some extra ab work though. I refuse to feel defeated. I feel like I see some changes in the mirror, even if the scale isn't saying anything yet.

I am just going to do everything I can to stay positive, and maybe even stay away from the scale for a few weeks. I normally just weigh in once a week, but maybe I just stay away from it for a while. Besides, who cares what the number says as long as my clothes fit better.
I am totally in the same boat as you. I see changes in how my clothes fit and I think how I look in the mirror, but the scale isn't going anywhere. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I do know that I'm working because I can feel it and it'll eventually come around. Apparently the plateau is quickly found.

I got pretty depressed this morning when I got on the scale and it's still not moving.
I know it's sometimes difficult to stay motivated when you expect the scale to move and it doesn't, but remember: The scale doesn't tell the whole story.

If you're doing weight training, or any training that builds muscle, then straight weight loss, or the lack thereof, is particularly less meaningful, because muscle weighs more than fat for the same unit volume.

I feel like I see some changes in the mirror, even if the scale isn't saying anything yet.
The changes you see in the mirror and in the way your clothes fit tell a more accurate story than the scale. E.g.: It wasn't until w/in the last month that weight started coming off for me. But I could see changes in the mirror and I could feel it in the way a fresh pair of jeans fit.

As for me: My plans have hit a bit of a snag. My right knee has gone out on me again. This is the second time in the last month or so, and the third time in the last year or so. No more leg days or cardio until I find out what's going on. Tuesday I've an appointment with a sports orthopedic doc to look into it. Something is definitely awry.

Nonetheless: I've lost 2-3 lbs since my check-in for the fat loss challenge at my gym, last Thursday, and the fat loss measurement doohickey claims I've lost 1% body fat. I'll continue with my upper-body workouts and diet. The knee feels good enough I believe I can resume my training with True Motion, but I'm questioning the wisdom of planning on golf shoes for me, right now.

I know it's sometimes difficult to stay motivated when you expect the scale to move and it doesn't, but remember: The scale doesn't tell the whole story.

If you're doing weight training, or any training that builds muscle, then straight weight loss, or the lack thereof, is particularly less meaningful, because muscle weighs more than fat for the same unit volume.

The changes you see in the mirror and in the way your clothes fit tell a more accurate story than the scale. E.g.: It wasn't until w/in the last month that weight started coming off for me. But I could see changes in the mirror and I could feel it in the way a fresh pair of jeans fit.

As for me: My plans have hit a bit of a snag. My right knee has gone out on me again. This is the second time in the last month or so, and the third time in the last year or so. No more leg days or cardio until I find out what's going on. Tuesday I've an appointment with a sports orthopedic doc to look into it. Something is definitely awry.

Nonetheless: I've lost 2-3 lbs since my check-in for the fat loss challenge at my gym, last Thursday, and the fat loss measurement doohickey claims I've lost 1% body fat. I'll continue with my upper-body workouts and diet. The knee feels good enough I believe I can resume my training with True Motion, but I'm questioning the wisdom of planning on golf shoes for me, right now.

Logically, I know all of this, but mentally it still brought me down. I think it's the fact the scale has never been this high for me, so seeing these numbers is just so hard, like a swift kick to the gut. But I am staying focused and positive, and going by how I feel, not what the scale says. Which is why I think I will just stay away from it for a while. I might go back to taking measurements instead, that's far more accurate than any stupid scale.

My wife has been out of town all week so my attention to what I'm eating when I eat it wasn't good. I ate foods I'd never eat if she was home and let myself drift off into a cereal binge. Up 2 pounds which I suppose is not that bad considering what all I ate. Still, I'm pissed at myself.

Well a coworker on the video chat said wow you look totally different... Working out? It's video chat sooo maybe it was the lighting but maybe those miles are paying off!

According to the scale I was down another 1-2 lbs. yesterday. This despite not being able to do leg workouts or cardio cuz of my bum knee. I think this just goes to show that it really is more about nutrition than exercise, just as I've been saying for years and years.

I said I wasn't going to get on the scale again for a while, but I was out of town this weekend visiting my sister, brother-in-law and my little 2 year old nephew and I thought I was really good on the trip, so I was curious if I did any damage. Sure enough, I get on the scale and I'm down .5 lbs. I know to everyone here that's nothing, but to me, who is having a hell of a time seeing the scale move, that's a really big deal, especially since I was out of town when it happened.

I made a conscious effort to eat healthy while on the road, maintain portion control, and what they say is true, chasing after a 2 year old is a lot of exercise haha. We were running around all weekend.

I am still hanging around 192. I haven’t been as diligent but I am maintaining. My physical activity has ramped up with the weather being nice so it is a good offset to my over indulgence.

I leave tomorrow for my trip for the week and hit the 182 lb mark. Down from 204 when I started. I have been pretty good about it, although this weekend with @Canadan I went out to eat for dinner both nights and certainly didn't skimp when I ordered some delicious Mexican food as well as Shrimp and Grits the next night.

But staying true with the snacks and desserts and I feel like the 180 barrier is in my sights next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back