Fomer Tour Pro Omar Uresti Wins PGA Pro Champtionship, Pros Kinda Pissed

I disagree. It's a way around the intent of the rules. That's the definition of a loophole.

Intent is subjective. I am not sure anywhere in the rules it says "This is only cool for guys who never played on the PGA Tour.

How many club pros have Monday qualified in their career for a PGA event. Should they be exempt?

Time to fix that loophole.

The entire gig with the PGA Championship as a major is the novelty of allowing a certain number of PGA club pros the chance to play in a tour event / major. Will any of the regular guys even make a cut? It is the means by which the PGA organization recognizes and brings to the forefront the contributions of their core members. I think that intent and precedent is well established and clear.

Monday qualifiers are open to everyone. The intent there is equally clear - anyone that shows up, pays their fee and plays the best gets a spot in the tour event. Apples to oranges, IMO.

Well they can get there am status back and go play the Mid Am to feel better about themselves:alien:

Can't blame him, if it's in the rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uresti is lapping the field after 3 rounds this year.

-15 with a 7 shot lead on 2nd.

Back at it again, I see. It feels like that is a loophole that really should be fixed :/

There's a loophole and he took advantage of it - not a cool move, but here we are. The PGA Pros need to push hard to have that loophole closed or quit b*tching about it.

A golf podcast talks about him cleaning house in the PGA pros tournaments quite often.
I only think this is a bad thing if he does not spend most of his time teaching/working at the course.

I’m not sure I agree this is a loophole.

it is called the PGA Professional Championship. Not the PGA Teaching Professional Championship. If I understand the rules correctly, you basically just need to be a member of the PGA and have not played more than 8 professional tournaments in the prior 12 months. if you change the rules to keep him out unfairly because of a middling pga tour career that basically ended 10 years ago, you are potentially keeping someone else out due to that rule change who also deserves to play in it.

The 8 tournament rule is valid and still allows some people to potentially Monday qualify at other events.

Professional golfer plays in professional golf event he’s eligible to play in and wins, thus qualifying for more professional golf events...

Uresti won the Senior PGA Professional Championship in 2020 at the same venue, playing alongside Paul Stankowski in the final round.

“It will take probably a few more strokes under par once we all return here next April (25-28) for the PGA Professional Championship,” said Uresti, who will be part of the 360-player field. “I’m just happy to have had this kind of week here.”

A golf podcast talks about him cleaning house in the PGA pros tournaments quite often.
I only think this is a bad thing if he does not spend most of his time teaching/working at the course.
I think this is the root of it, if he was actually teaching....ANY....then no one would take issue. As it is, it’s legal, but it’s bush league.

I have no issues with what he is doing, He is playing by the rules that are in place nothing more nothing less.
If they don't like it change the rules but bitching because someone takes advantage of the rules is Bush league!!!

I have no issues with what he is doing, He is playing by the rules that are in place nothing more nothing less.
If they don't like it change the rules but bitching because someone takes advantage of the rules is Bush league!!!
Or, and this is wild...it’s having an opinion which is allowed to be different than those on the opposite side.

Just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD

I think this is the root of it, if he was actually teaching....ANY....then no one would take issue. As it is, it’s legal, but it’s bush league.
Is there an ideal or thought that this event should be for teaching professionals only? I know Marty Jertson from Ping plays in this event and always does pretty well but I would assume the assumption the exemption that makes him eligible is that he is management at a golf manufacturer. (A-19)

It seems there are lots of categories of individuals who qualify for this assuming they make it through the sectional qualifier.

*MP Master Professional
A-1 Head Professional at a PGA recognized golf
course
A-4 Golf Directors at a PGA recognized golf course
*A-5 Past PGA Presidents
A-6 Self-employed teaching professionals
A-8 Assistant Professional
A-9 Executives or managers of golf properties
A-10 Golf Clinicians
A-11 Employees of Golf Associations
A-12 College Golf Coaches
A-13 General Managers/Directors of Club Operations A-14 Directors of Instruction at a PGA recognized
facility
A-15 Retail
A-16 Golf Course Architect/Builder
A-17 Golf Course Superintendents A-18 Golf Media
A-19 Golf Manufacturer Management
A-20 Golf Manufacturer Sales Representatives
A-21 Tournament Director
A-22 Rules Official
A-23 Golf Club Fitting/Golf Club Repair
A-24 PGA members primarily employed within the golf industry who are not eligible for another
Active classification

From my understanding, he's a member out at Onion Creek in ATX and is involved with their junior program and does plenty of clinics and Pro-Am work. He's involved with the game of golf and appears to be helping grow the game. Seems ok.

From my understanding, he's a member out at Onion Creek in ATX and is involved with their junior program and does plenty of clinics and Pro-Am work. He's involved with the game of golf and appears to be helping grow the game. Seems ok.
I was thinking I'd heard this too. I knew he was a member at Onion Creek. He plays here locally in the Austin Skins League sometimes.

As the previous post detailed, the PGA of America provides lots of career opportunities ranging from traditional club pro duties to course maintenance to food and beverage to teaching etc.... Any member PGA of America member is welcome to play in the organization's events, including the national club championship, and that is how it should be.
I doubt any players in the field are questioning Omar Uresti's right to be there.

It is definitely the fault of the PGA for creating this problem and failing to fix it after so many years, but its definitely sleazy to keep taking advantage of it. Once, sure. Twice, cool you made your point. Beyond that, you're just a jerk.

Shut down the loophole - make the spot and championship actually set up for what its supposed to be otherwise this is doing diligence and he met qualifiers to enter within the rules. Kudos to his team for finding this.

What is this "loophole" people in this thread keep mentioning? Most of the players in the field of the PGA Club Championship have at a previous point in their career played Tour golf. I've played rounds of golf with two of the current leaderboard's players. One is a traditional club pro/Director of Golf and the other makes his living as a teaching pro.
One of the guys played two years on the PGA Tour 30 years ago, the other guy played Tours all over the world for about a 10 year period after he was graduated from college.
These players don't have any issue with Oresti playing this annual event and, or, his regional PGA events. It's a golf competition and players respect that the one shooting the lowest score has earned the right to be there and deserves credit for a great performance.

I have no issue with this and since he played by the rules that were given, have at it!

Back