JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
On a recent Off Course podcast with @Canadan talking to Tour Edge, the conversation about driver crowns came up. Matte vs glossy. I have always been a glossy person, but some matte (not black) looks pretty good. Do you have a preference?

Not so much a preference so much as long as it is done with what seems to be high quality, love the top line on the ST-X (gloss w/carbon), and the Cobra King Ltd had a great looking top visually but I’ve never liked the TM finishes on top. 🤷‍♂️

No preference, I have played two black matte drivers, G400 max and pxg 0211. Also have in the bag the exs220.

I'm beginning to really warm up to matte finish. Not sure what other color I'd want to see in woods.

I also really like carbon fiber tops and they seem to look nicer in a glossy finish. I'd like to see how Tee does with a matte carbon fiber.

Matte - all day long.

In general I like the look of the matte crown if it's black. But with that said, I don't have a preference as I go to play a driver. Glossy or matte, I don't really care too much

I’ve played both, but most recently I like a glossy crown. It just looks more expensive.

Shiny piano black is my favorite look.

I’m not one who puts much priority on the way clubs look, but given a choice, I’d choose the glossy

I'm sure it wouldn't bother me but I prefer the glossy look.

I don't care either way enough to impact a purchase, but glossy always appeals to my eyes a little more.

Also navy blue options should always be available. It's a superior color to black IMO.

Matte

I like glossy but matte is ok as well.

Matte all day for me, I feel like I line the ball up better…don’t know if it actually helps, but definitely makes me feel like it does.

Matte is preferred for me. If I buy a driver or fairway wood with a glossy finish I will sand it to a matte finish.

I am a matte guy. I prefer the dull crown over a shiny at address.

That's one thing I can honestly say does not make any difference to me. Glossy or matte, black or grey, I don't seem to notice. I think I probably focus more on the club face than the crown. I even had one of those shiny blue Mizuno drivers briefly and that didn't bother me either. Heck, even the "Turbulators" on some Ping drivers I don't seem to notice and they are ugly as sin.

Matte if I had to choose, but like cats, if I fits, I hits.

Can't say I have a preference for glossy versus matte. The size and shape of the head or accent colors are much more likely to influence the appeal for me. And I find crown garnishes (e.g. Ping's turbulators) to be very off-putting.

Semi gloss..

I guess whatever the SIM is would be my preference.
I didn't like the matte crown on my g425 5 wood.

I think I lean toward matte, i don't need any extra distraction like a glare. I'm bad enough at this sport :ROFLMAO:. Only drawback is I feel matte is a bit more susceptible to scratches and marks.

It doesn’t matter to me. I’ve had glossy and matte.

Doesn't matter to me on the course. I've had both but the indoor sim I play at in the winter has a hard time picking up a matte finish.

Back