The 60 and over Thread

I play on Tuesdays and sometimes Thursdays for the same reason...to play when others aren't ;).

Well that is my goal. Right now it’s Sunday morning and the occasional Friday if I take a day off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a tee time for tomorrow 7:30, going back to my newer driver. Hopefully get driver working better, looking forward to a good day.

I kind of embrace the whole aging thing. The closer I get to the end, the more I appreciate life and the more I appreciate the fact that I can still physically do many of the things I could when I was younger - albeit at a much slower pace.

If anything bothers me about aging, it's the awareness of losing my mental capacity. It shows up at work at times and I realize it's happening ever so slowly. It's ok because it's naturally going to happen to many of us. But I think about the day when I'm no longer aware it's happening.

Still, for now it's fun to joke about aging with my wife and my brothers. We all poke fun at ourselves and one another over it. The kids just roll their eyes or shake their heads - just as we once did at our parents.

10:54 tee time this morning! After 4 days of 90+ temps, its nice to be in the 70's for the next few days. I'm playing with my regular group, the eldest of whom is 86 and is a cancer survivor who plays 18 holes twice a week. Playing with a guy who is 21-years older than me and survived cancer is inspiring!

I kind of embrace the whole aging thing. The closer I get to the end, the more I appreciate life and the more I appreciate the fact that I can still physically do many of the things I could when I was younger - albeit at a much slower pace.

If anything bothers me about aging, it's the awareness of losing my mental capacity. It shows up at work at times and I realize it's happening ever so slowly. It's ok because it's naturally going to happen to many of us. But I think about the day when I'm no longer aware it's happening.

Still, for now it's fun to joke about aging with my wife and my brothers. We all poke fun at ourselves and one another over it. The kids just roll their eyes or shake their heads - just as we once did at our parents.
I was telling my son about a Jethro Tull show I saw in 1973, and told him I was damn happy that I could still remember that show and still recognize him.

Attachments

• 1623332791917.png
    1623332791917.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 8
I was telling my son about a Jethro Tull show I saw in 1973, and told him I was damn happy that I could still remember that show and still recognize him.
Jethro Tull was the first concert I ever attended in person in November of 1972 in Chicago. My mother stood in line to buy the tickets for me because I was in high school when they went on sale.
It’s not my memory that’s failing. The heat and humidity got me the other day when I played 9 holes. I quickly ran out of energy and had no strength.

Jethro Tull was the first concert I ever attended in person in November of 1972 in Chicago. My mother stood in line to buy the tickets for me because I was in high school when they went on sale.
It’s not my memory that’s failing. The heat and humidity got me the other day when I played 9 holes. I quickly ran out of energy and had no strength.

Mine was the Beach Boys and Chicago - together - kind of weird combo looking back at it. The first concert I really enjoyed was the The Police at My Fathers Place in the Village of Old Roslyn, NY. It was edgy and cool at the time, who would have thought they would become pop music.

Last edited:

If I were to say that to the younger fellers I work with, the response would be "Who is Jethro Tull?"

My first concert was Guess Who in 1973. To the young fellers, I said, "I saw Guess Who at Selland Arena in '73." And then the young fellers said, "i don't know. Who?" It was a total Abbott and Costello routine.

Anyway, 65 years here. I'll be 66 on July 4th. Took a 20 plus year hiatus and took up golf again last year. A bit of a struggle, as most of you know the ol' body just doesn't work the same way as it once did, and I have lost a bit of distance. But, with some work, what I have lost in distance, I have gained in accuracy. At least with my drives. I'd say 4 out of 5 drives are in the fairway. But only 190 to 200 yards. So the longer par 3 and par 4 holes are a bit of a challenge, and bogey is as good as I can hope for. I still need a good bit of work in approach accuracy. When I get the distance right, it's either to the left or right. Once or twice a game I get it on. So that's a treat!

Might be my 1980s vintage irons, but experience tells me that "It's the indian, and not the bow."

Very happy to still be active and on the atmospheric side of the sod!

My first concert was in Chicago as well. I don't remember if it was the Grateful Dead, or Crosby, Still, Nash and Young. Also went to a lot of blues bars and saw Muddy Waters, Koko Taylor, John Lee Hooker, etc.

Caddied for a friend of mine yesterday...played in one of the the US Senior Open qualifiers. I must admit by the 16th hole I was dragging a bit...it was hot and humid. Today is much better.

My first concert was the group Boston, not really all that good if I’m honest. A few months later was Styx and then Kansas just a couple weeks apart. Really good.

Always wanted to see Chicago live but never had a chance.

Always wanted to see Chicago live but never had a chance.

Chicago, or at least what's left of it, came to the Fresno Fair a couple years ago. It was really good. I think they are down to just a couple of the original band members, but they sound as you would expect them to

Chicago, or at least what's left of it, came to the Fresno Fair a couple years ago. It was really good. I think they are down to just a couple of the original band members, but they sound as you would expect them to
Do they still tour with a couple horn players? I love me a good horn section!

Yes they do! They sound like days of yore. If you get the chance, it's a good show. I would definitely go again, even though I'm not a big Chicago fan. Just a lover of great music

10:54 tee time this morning! After 4 days of 90+ temps, its nice to be in the 70's for the next few days. I'm playing with my regular group, the eldest of whom is 86 and is a cancer survivor who plays 18 holes twice a week. Playing with a guy who is 21-years older than me and survived cancer is inspiring!

The day was beautiful and as an added bonus, I shot an 87 (with 29 putts) which was my first time under 90 since returning to golf in 2019 (after a 10-year hiatus).

If I were to say that to the younger fellers I work with, the response would be "Who is Jethro Tull?"

My first concert was Guess Who in 1973. To the young fellers, I said, "I saw Guess Who at Selland Arena in '73." And then the young fellers said, "i don't know. Who?" It was a total Abbott and Costello routine.

Anyway, 65 years here. I'll be 66 on July 4th. Took a 20 plus year hiatus and took up golf again last year. A bit of a struggle, as most of you know the ol' body just doesn't work the same way as it once did, and I have lost a bit of distance. But, with some work, what I have lost in distance, I have gained in accuracy. At least with my drives. I'd say 4 out of 5 drives are in the fairway. But only 190 to 200 yards. So the longer par 3 and par 4 holes are a bit of a challenge, and bogey is as good as I can hope for. I still need a good bit of work in approach accuracy. When I get the distance right, it's either to the left or right. Once or twice a game I get it on. So that's a treat!

Might be my 1980s vintage irons, but experience tells me that "It's the indian, and not the bow."

Very happy to still be active and on the atmospheric side of the sod!

Sounds good Mikey. Although, I do agree it is the Indian and not arrow. I'd recommend hybrid irons or more hybrids to increase your GIR. If budget is an issue, Pinemeadow has hybrid irons and Callaway pre-owned is great for hybrids.

I play Sax and am mainly a Jazz fan. Early on I got to see Count Basie, Woody Herman, Dizzy Gillespie, Phil Woods (many times), Dexter Gordon, Freddie Hubbard, Art Blakey, Maynard Ferguson, Stan Kenton, etc. I also saw Chicago ( the original band) and the Beach Boys at Madison Square Garden, Blood, Sweat and Tears and BBKIng.

As I'm approaching this thread in 4 years, what guidance and wisdom can you give me?

Know that I was a risk taker and foolish in my youth. Pole Vaulting through college and football through most doesn't help.

I've started to see signs of WTH and my mind doesn't comprehend. How do you cope?

I've always been a 9-9 guy and slowing down isn't in my mindset. Most of that is productive with a side of IDGAS.

Sounds good Mikey. Although, I do agree it is the Indian and not arrow. I'd recommend hybrid irons or more hybrids to increase your GIR. If budget is an issue, Pinemeadow has hybrid irons and Callaway pre-owned is great for hybrids.

Oh I have a couple Hybrids and they have been the proverbial game changer! A couple of TaylorMade RBZs. In THAT case the "Arrow" helped a bunch. And as it turns out, I'm an archer too. And I can hit the target with just about any arrow that I have. Just like golf clubs, there are many different types of material, weight, flex, etc.

I'm just not convinced a set of new irons would make all that much difference. 10 yards average per club improvement? Nah. I'll just club up.
However, a Pinemeadow "Senior shaft" driver was the first thing I bought upon my return to the game. I shoulda kept the 60 bucks. I ended up with a Cobra Fmax driver. I like that one a lot!

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday, played 9 holes . Just ran out of gas on last hole, no energy. Heat and humidty are not good.

Mine was Boston at the Chicago Stadium 3/1977.
I may have seen Uriah Heep/Jethro Tull in 1978 at the Stadium as well..

Tull played in Chicago Stadium 11 times from 72'-78'

Back