The Member Guest Events

I play in 3 every year. My dad's, my brother's and my father in law's.

They don't close down the course for any of them other than the playing of the events. When I was in high school and working on the grounds crew back home, we would close the course down after the 4 pm tee time. It gave us time to get the small things done to make the course amazing.

After playing in my first one this year, this is key, you really need to find someone, and their spouse, that you can get along with for 3 straight days!
Ohhh I didn’t even think about a spouse hahaha but true!!!

this has always been of interest to me. Why is the buy in sooo high at these events? Course conditions that much better warrant the price hike?

Members already play golf there, what happens after the tournament, conditions go to junk?! wouldnt you want to play the week after the member guest if you are not a competitive person interested in bragging rights?
Some of this goes into the pot that is paid out to the winning teams. Some goes towards meals/alcohol during the event. A good one will also have pretty good tee gifts for the event such as shoes, Oakley glasses, apparel, and so forth. I know a couple guys who have gotten a Scotty Cameron at one and at another one they had a Travis Matthew truck their and they got $350-400 in credit to spend there.

My club decided this year on breakfast tacos in the morning, a dinner for the calcutta (probably fajitas), and lunch which would be burgers or and pulled pork sandwiches. The "tee" gift is supposed to be a cheap bluetooth speaker with the club logo on it. Needless to say it doesn't seem like we are getting a good value which along with a lot of other reasons is why most aren't playing.

Here's a question for everyone. What format does your club use for the member guest?

When I was still a member it was a huge event for the club and sold out yearly (even the years they were trying to boost membership #s - the members that were there still filled it).

The heavy entry fee went towards multiple meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner - one with and one without spouse), multiple rounds of golf, prizes, tee gifts (usually at minimum 200 dollar shoes, etc).

The course would be closed around the tournament times. So if you could find time before/after to get out you were welcome to.

Here's a question for everyone. What format does your club use for the member guest?
5, 9 hole matches And a 5 hole shootout between all the flight winners.

This was one of many swag one year - custom FJ shoes. I hate them becaise they hurt my feet.
226E570A-305E-49D6-A362-C011BF4E0B34.jpeg

Some of this goes into the pot that is paid out to the winning teams. Some goes towards meals/alcohol during the event. A good one will also have pretty good tee gifts for the event such as shoes, Oakley glasses, apparel, and so forth. I know a couple guys who have gotten a Scotty Cameron at one and at another one they had a Travis Matthew truck their and they got $350-400 in credit to spend there.

My club decided this year on breakfast tacos in the morning, a dinner for the calcutta (probably fajitas), and lunch which would be burgers or and pulled pork sandwiches. The "tee" gift is supposed to be a cheap bluetooth speaker with the club logo on it. Needless to say it doesn't seem like we are getting a good value which along with a lot of other reasons is why most aren't playing.
Thank you for the inside look!

I guess they did this one year but everyone seemed to hate it. One of the guys I play with plays in quite a few each year and said they are all like this. He said he likes that because you get to play with and meet more people this way.

Ours is 1200 per team and definitely the premier event. Fills up instantly and has a waiting list every year.
Money goes to great meals, free drinks, wine and booze, nice tee prizes etc. there are 2 dinners with spouses that are very nice and it starts off with a stag night. Lots of cool things like whiskey sampling, cigar rollers etc. Tee prizes in the past have been $300-400 credit to the merch tent, or gfore shoes etc. a good chunk goes into the purse for individual winners etc. pretty good money goes into those. There is also a very large Calcutta, last year it got up to $75k in the pot I think. If you win your flight or horserace or championship, you are getting a nice pay out.
Format just changed to 9 hole matches with a horserace to crown the winner. There is also a stableford for $ in the Calcutta.

Ours is 1200 per team and definitely the premier event. Fills up instantly and has a waiting list every year.
Money goes to great meals, free drinks, wine and booze, nice tee prizes etc. there are 2 dinners with spouses that are very nice and it starts off with a stag night. Lots of cool things like whiskey sampling, cigar rollers etc. Tee prizes in the past have been $300-400 credit to the merch tent, or gfore shoes etc. a good chunk goes into the purse for individual winners etc. pretty good money goes into those. There is also a very large Calcutta, last year it got up to $75k in the pot I think. If you win your flight or horserace or championship, you are getting a nice pay out.
Format just changed to 9 hole matches with a horserace to crown the winner. There is also a stableford for $ in the Calcutta.
the Calcutta’s get out of control (Especially in years the market is good).

this has always been of interest to me. Why is the buy in sooo high at these events? Course conditions that much better warrant the price hike?

Members already play golf there, what happens after the tournament, conditions go to junk?! wouldnt you want to play the week after the member guest if you are not a competitive person interested in bragging rights?

Usually the tee gifts are pretty decent. Mine for example has a $200 Adidas credit, so I have a quarter zip and two polos coming my way that will have the club logo embroidered on them, and I went for a nicer quarter zip so I think it'll cost me 15 bucks out of pocket. The second gift is a pair of Oakley glasses, I'm guessing it won't just be a derpy pair. I've seen Footjoy apparel, Oakley glasses/backpacks, a free wedge/balls, etc. It just depends. Typically, it's all you can eat and drink just the same? So when the clock hits zero, it's basically all you can transfusion for me and my guest. May not win money, but I'll make sure I didn't lose money on the weekend haha

This. I know there's an optional short course championship if we want, and that just sounds like some nice side action.

I'm worrisome about the sidebetting. I know that can get way out of control at some places, and I have no doubt if there's team picking with side bets going into the entire event like I've heard at some courses? Degenerate gamblers come out of the woodwork.

Our 3-day member guest is on right now (alas, i am not part of it this year). Our main clubhouse closes down for the event as all energy is focused on the golf and the golf parties. It’s exceptionally well done and great (unless you aren’t in it and want to do just about anything at the club!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our club has one in July at the old course, and one going on right now at the newer course. Both events are sell outs, and are the premier events on the calendar. Costly, but you seem to get a lot for the money.

Our club has one in July at the old course, and one going on right now at the newer course. Both events are sell outs, and are the premier events on the calendar. Costly, but you seem to get a lot for the money.

Does your course completely close all other aspects during them?

Does your course completely close all other aspects during them?
No. Lots of room for dining, pool still going at the old course. The newer course has an exceptional kitchen. I don't think it is closed, but I wouldn't go there just to eat, as it is about a half hour from home.

Our member/guest kicks off today with a practice round. Dinner, drinks and calcutta auction tonight. Tournament play starts tomorrow and continues on Saturday. The format is a stableford scoring system with 4 flights of teams. The handicaps are adjusted up or down after round 1. Drinks and food provided both tournament days. The tournament is on one course while the public can still play on the other course. Buy in is $750 per person. We were provided links to Footjoy and Straight Down for selecting shoes and clothing. The polo shirts will have embroidered the club logo on the chest and name on the sleeve.

Our member/guest kicks off today with a practice round. Dinner, drinks and calcutta auction tonight. Tournament play starts tomorrow and continues on Saturday. The format is a stableford scoring system with 4 flights of teams. The handicaps are adjusted up or down after round 1. Drinks and food provided both tournament days. The tournament is on one course while the public can still play on the other course. Buy in is $750 per person. We were provided links to Footjoy and Straight Down for selecting shoes and clothing. The polo shirts will have embroidered the club logo on the chest and name on the sleeve.
I wish more member/guests would adjust the handicaps after round 1. I stopped playing with my Dad at his because I got tired of getting beat by 16s that miraculously always had the round of their life - like breaking 80 rounds. Cheating to win club championships and member/guests are so bush league!

I wish more member/guests would adjust the handicaps after round 1. I stopped playing with my Dad at his because I got tired of getting beat by 16s that miraculously always had the round of their life - like breaking 80 rounds. Cheating to win club championships and member/guests are so bush league!
My dad and I ran into that buzzsaw one year. The team that won our flight was an 18(guest) and an 11(member), as there could only be a 7 point max difference between players. The 18 shot 37 in the match against my dad and I. We beat every other team in our flight except them, and we lost 6 to 3. The way my dad and I were playing, we thought we had it locked up, and we were the only team to get three points off them.

1 Round Net Best Ball, 1 Round team quota with stableford, 1 9 hole scramble and 1 9 hole modified chapman/alt shot something or other!

I thought it was a good mix
the Calcutta’s get out of control (Especially in years the market is good).
This year my home course had their biggest ever around $80k.

I believe everything at our course is broken out into 9 hole matches, which I am pretty sure are best ball matchplay.

My dad and I ran into that buzzsaw one year. The team that won our flight was an 18(guest) and an 11(member), as there could only be a 7 point max difference between players. The 18 shot 37 in the match against my dad and I. We beat every other team in our flight except them, and we lost 6 to 3. The way my dad and I were playing, we thought we had it locked up, and we were the only team to get three points off them.

An 18 handicap shooting +1... When their best round should likely be +9. LOL.

Buddy of mine and I had that happen in the very first MG we ever did. Two teens both broke 78 that day in best ball. We weren't going to beat them anyway, but yeaaahhh that was eye opening.

An 18 handicap shooting +1... When their best round should likely be +9. LOL.

Buddy of mine and I had that happen in the very first MG we ever did. Two teens both broke 78 that day in best ball. We weren't going to beat them anyway, but yeaaahhh that was eye opening.
It was suggested the member bring a different guest the following year.

Ours this year is and adjustable quote for all 3 rounds. The email said the first two were combined and the last day best ball. I like the aspect that it can help protect the field some from the sandbaggers. The thing I don't like though is say me and an identical handicap shoot the same scores but I have the better round the first day and he has the better on the 2nd day then he will win because of the adjustment even though we could shoot the same total.

Back