If Your Power Came from a Flaw

It comes down to repeatability. If you can repeat it and have it be accurate then I don’t see a problem.

Of course distance and speed aren’t your problem. Given that you have plenty of distance I would try to make sure you have something you can repeat.

My sight line is naturally to the right, so any flaw that pushes the ball left for me I could never truly feel comfortable adjusting for. So it depends. A flaw that pushes out a little to the right I could probably live with.

@Canadan

I would definitely play with the flaws to gain distance if that distance achieved lower scoring.

That's the math of it.

Do your instincts (or early data/results) tell you it will help, hurt, or not alter your scores @Canadan ?

That's the math of it.

Do your instincts (or early data/results) tell you it will help, hurt, or not alter your scores @Canadan ?
if it's controllable, and I can do it on command, it only serves to help.

So far, when i do it randomly, it just sails the green and I get salty hahaha

Would you willingly swing with a flaw to gain power?

Recently I've been trying to balance out my swing a bit, as part of my current over the top flaw has me squaring hard with a lower lofted square face at impact - which means the ball is going VERY hard but left of my target in a relatively straight line with irons. What does that mean for me? About an extra 10+ yards and in some cases even more.

So, would you play that shot to gain in other areas?
Would you avoid it at all costs?
Would you be fearful of it coming out at any time (guilty haha)?
I would work really, really, really hard on right shoulder external rotation during the downswing to get the club on plane or under plane instead of being over plane. With a long swing there is the danger of early internal rotation of the right shoulder which puts the shaft over plane and danger of the left shoulder moving to external rotation prematurely. The left shoulder needs to stay internally rotated through impact with the right shoulder holding external rotation up to impact.
It is a difficult skill to learn. I recommend a tour striker smart ball as a training aid.

Look at these "flaws".

Play golf, not golf swing.

Depends….. if you can control the shot (repeatable) and the ball flight gives you the flight and landing characteristics (spin, trajectory) that you can control, then I am okay with playing with the flaw. I don’t have one friend that any golf teacher would say does not have at least one flaw. In the words of Arnie….play your swing!

WTF! You lost me at 165 PW!! 🤯🤣

I have Trackman of a 188 yard 52*, 🤣

I’ve also hit that shot on course, 😂. It resulted in me standing bewildered behind the ball making sure I had the right club first then checking the yardage, then scratching my head on how I just went long and left OB from 110 yards out? Way long, WAY left.

Life is a mystery.

@Canadan, since we are at different ends of the spectrum my thoughts don't have much value, but I'll share just keep the posts up. It's a great topic regardless of skill level.

Folks like me play a flaw because we are either unaware of it or because we can't fix it. That's not the case with you. If there is no downside to the "flaw", it's not really a flaw and I'd use it all day long. But if there is a downside and you have the ability to avoid it, why use it? You already have tour-level distance. If the move has the potential to damage accuracy I'd avoid it like the plague.

My whole swing is just a series of flaws that hopefully balance each other out somehow.
I say own it and roll with it. Easy to align 10 yards the other way whenever you need a little extra.

I use to roll my wrists like DJ. And hit it further

I used to play with a guy that played some of the mini tours and he had an OTT move, but was consistent and just went with it. On the other hand, he never developed his game enough to make the tour... :unsure:

But for me, I personally enjoy working on my swing and trying to improve it... even to the detriment of my score. So, I do what I enjoy.

My swing is a flaw. :cry:

Now, to be serious, nope, I'd take the flawed swing in a second.

Who says it's a flaw? Based on who's observations? What are you comparing it to? What may be a "flaw" to you, may not be a flaw to someone else. With that being said, I would embrace it & know that it's either going to go "this" distance or "that" distance.
I embrace the fact that my swing will be all over the place every time I step foot on the tee box. So .... I learn to live with it. 😆

I use to roll my wrists like DJ. And hit it further
I tried that. I couldn't time it, and came through with the clubface so shut that people standing to my immediate left were in mortal danger. At best it was low, line-drive pulls.

I had a nice conversation about this today with a good player here and we were of the same mind. That delivering with a known flaw like that tends to limit the margin for error and amplify misses more, and would hurt our scoring in the end. 10 yards wasn't enough for him. We couldn't actually come to a yardage number we thought would tip the scales for us.

Reminds me of something I read in Harvey Penick's Little Red Book. I will paraphrase. If you see a guy with a good grip and a bad swing, don't worry about him. If you see a guy with a bad grip and a good swing, don't worry about him either. But, if you see a guy with a bad grip and a bad swing, and he can score at your level, beware! He had learned to "groove" his faults, and can score with them!

Don't just roll with it, add in an overly strong grip and we can really be twins.

My swing is a flaw. It gives me power.

My power is a slice. I can swing as hard as I want and that ball will go down the fairway a ways (for me)... it also goes away as far as it goes down the fairway.:ROFLMAO:

good golfer problems. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: If I could do it repeatedly, I'd adjust to it and roll with it for sure.

Let’s face it. I would suspect that EVERYBODY has a ‘flaw’ that a “coach” will point out. Whether you hit it 200 yds or 400 yds. And the long drive guys would give nightmares to a coach with some of their swings. And remember- they only have to hit a 50 yard wide fairway once out of however many they get these days. And still make bundles of $$$.
If it’s repeatable and comfortable, then it’s your unique style.

Would you willingly swing with a flaw to gain power?

Recently I've been trying to balance out my swing a bit, as part of my current over the top flaw has me squaring hard with a lower lofted square face at impact - which means the ball is going VERY hard but left of my target in a relatively straight line with irons. What does that mean for me? About an extra 10+ yards and in some cases even more.

So, would you play that shot to gain in other areas?
Would you avoid it at all costs?
Would you be fearful of it coming out at any time (guilty haha)?

i thought i kept my swing vid private...yuge swing flaw. gives the appearance of power but not power.

Play with it. Anything you own in this game that you can make it work, is worth keeping. Otherwise, too much time and change involved to hopefully make something new work.

Back