Boycotting USGA and GHIN

Boycott? If you want to call it that, then yeah I'm boycotting. Honestly I let my membership expire in October last year. I didn't have any need whatsoever to have a handicap. While I expressed interest in playing in the World Amateur in Myrtle Beach, honestly I'm suck too badly at golf to consider that.

There's a benefit though. The Carolina's golf association won't get my money. That'll hinder the growth of the game. And there'll be more tee time slots open for me. Bonus there. :ROFLMAO: Seriously though, I may rejoin so the Carolina's golf association does in fact get my money to help grow the game.

I see no reason strong enough to boycott USGA/GHIN. I get benefits from my membership, from my kids Youth on Course, and support USGA associated youth programs, In addition, I plan to play courses that require a recognized handicap. I would hang out for beers and watch your guys shake their fists and kick the trash cans, but I would not grab a torch or pitchfork and join them.

Thought this could spark some interesting discussion, perhaps @Jman, who I believe is a USGA loyalist would have some thoughts. After the college football season and salivating for golf season to come back to New England, I'm back and posting more here on THP.

Some guys from our local golf course were talking (after the announced golf ball rollback) about boycotting the USGA by not getting handicaps this year. Our course is not one that you can get a handicap from so everyone either signs up from nearby courses we do play somewhat frequently or we do a digital version. They thought that, combined with the rollback, was enough! I realize for some who play in tournaments this is not an option.

The men's league proposed using simply league scores rather than any handicap and apparently they only have two flights anyway: under 55 and over 55. I brought up that it could potentially hurt our local state golf association and the many programs they run (especially for the youth), but if enough people got on board it could seriously hamper the USGA.

What say all of you?
Me a loyalist? LOL

I’ve been maybe the most critical person here about them and what a joke they are.

I don't play in any tournaments where I need a handicap. I just use my GHIN index as a way of tracking my own game. Threfore, I have no intention of renewing this year. It won't have any effect on the USGA in the least; it is just a principle thing for me - cumulatively too many stupid decisions by the elites that run the USGA/R&A.

Thought this could spark some interesting discussion, perhaps @Jman, who I believe is a USGA loyalist would have some thoughts. After the college football season and salivating for golf season to come back to New England, I'm back and posting more here on THP.

Some guys from our local golf course were talking (after the announced golf ball rollback) about boycotting the USGA by not getting handicaps this year. Our course is not one that you can get a handicap from so everyone either signs up from nearby courses we do play somewhat frequently or we do a digital version. They thought that, combined with the rollback, was enough! I realize for some who play in tournaments this is not an option.

The men's league proposed using simply league scores rather than any handicap and apparently they only have two flights anyway: under 55 and over 55. I brought up that it could potentially hurt our local state golf association and the many programs they run (especially for the youth), but if enough people got on board it could seriously hamper the USGA.

What say all of you?

The USGA doesn't care about what your men's league does. Your competitions are not official competitions. You may make whatever rules you wish and make any scoring rules you wish.

It's possible a massive drop in the number of GHIN accounts would give the USGA some pause on handicap rules, but I doubt seriously it would affect their decision on the ball.

I've never been a member of the USGA and probably never will be. I don't need to keep a handicap, and there would be no benefit to me being a member. As a recreational golfer, they don't have my best interest in mind.

USGA can go fornicate a farm animal. I will not be renewing my account.

I would be willing to bet the ball rollback doesn't end up being instituted. The PGA a couple of other testing and data organizations have already shown that what they are trying to do won't actually come about from this proposed rule. The only people it will actually effect are the 99.9% of golfers whom this rule isn't targeting.
I think its the direct opposite. The hackers who post here wont really notice anything myself included

This doesn’t bother me either way. I’ll play whatever balls are required at the end of the day. As far as the handicap thing, doesn’t bother me.

A long of folks on here are angry about their 95mph driver swing and losing 3 yards.

A long of folks on here are angry about their 95mph driver swing and losing 3 yards.
I can appreciate a good imagination, but I am a bit curious as to how you've managed to come to this conclusion.

Is it technically considered a boycott if I wasn't planning on paying for a handicap this season anyways? I've got and kept my cap for the last 4-5 years strictly for Thurs Night Men's League, but now I'm over that circus. Back to golf for the sake of just hitting a little white ball around the grass with friends and family.

...and I suppose am a tiny bit curious why anyone would bother to defend the USGA at this point, but I welcome the madness
Probably a Mike Davis burner acct

The USGA has more money than God, and some little boycott won't affect them in the least. Has anyone read The Open by John Feinstein? It's about the first time the US Open was held at Bethpage Black. Instead of just re-upping with the usual network they decided to put it up for bid. They were stunned at how much money the media was willing to pay to broadcast the event. Plus, they hired a super sharp woman to handle the merchandise sales. She put up the biggest tent they had ever seen, and sold merch like there was no tomorrow!

They've been raking it in with both hands ever since.

I've never been a member of the USGA and probably never will be. I don't need to keep a handicap, and there would be no benefit to me being a member. As a recreational golfer, they don't have my best interest in mind.

Since becoming a member on here (and reading comments on Facebook) I'm surprised this isn't the answer from more US based golfers.

But I still find the golf culture difference between the UK/Australia and the US incredible.

Social golf here in Australia is a very minimal thing. We play comps every day of the week at my club under full rules. Which means I play comps 100+ times a year and very few social rounds. There are a few social golf organisations but they would still be expected to play under full rules.

When I read things about gimmies, breakfast balls, etc I wonder why the majority of average golfers in the US even bother maintaining a handicap through the USGA. Just do a Grinch thing and have an indicative number that you use with your mates.

I won’t be paying to have an ‘official’ handicap. I’ll just use Grint for the approximation.
It's been 7 hours since reporting season started in Ohio and I'm already contemplating waffling on my decision to not pay for a handicap.

I doubt I make it to the end of the weekend TBH. :ROFLMAO:

The pessimist in me thinks that in reality, they are worried that the 'rollback' will cause them to lose distance and cause their hdcp's to go up. Not that they would want to move up a tee box to offset the change, though.

Back