Sunday Bags? Do you use one?

Now? No. Historically, yes, that is one of the reasons Sunday bags were created.
Can you provide a link? Interested in learning more about this facet of golf history.

Can you provide a link? Interested in learning more about this facet of golf history.
A link to what? Why Sunday Bags were created? No. I am sure Google can. Just one of the many things you learn as you work with engineers and creators in this industry and study day in and day out golf equipment. Its out there. The history of the game is fascinating for many.

Golf bag history in general is fascinating, from the origins to Rick Reimers designs, to where they are now.

This thread is amusing today. I picked up a sunday bag over the winter to be able to walk a 3-hole loop around the clubhouse with my 2 year old this season. I keep my bag and push cart (broken down) at the course and figured this was an easy way to grab the 3 or 4 clubs I need and bounce around with my son without having to put together or carry my cart bag or empty all of the contents of my bag into my locker. Ultimately I thought it would be easier to be able to drop the sunday bag quickly when my son makes a b-line for the pond.

I picked up this stitch bag when they had a mega sale (got it for about $100):

1708700072399.png

This thread is giving me an idea. Last round I played it was absolutely atrocious. I wonder if I can do better with only 4 clubs.

This thread is giving me an idea. Last round I played it was absolutely atrocious. I wonder if I can do better with only 4 clubs.
Yes. If you simplify your philosophy/approach to the game as well as your club selection.

Yes. If you simplify your philosophy/approach to the game as well as your club selection.
I could also use a lobotomy, but don't want to sidetrack this thread anymore.

I was looking to get a Sunday bag for walking 9 or going to the range. I just wanted to carry 6-8 clubs. There were a few that I was looking at getting, but I ended up getting a lightweight bag that holds up to 14 clubs if I want them. It weighs the same as a Sunday bag, but is much more versatile.

Some people like them and want to buy them. That's cool with me.

This thread is amusing today. I picked up a sunday bag over the winter to be able to walk a 3-hole loop around the clubhouse with my 2 year old this season. I keep my bag and push cart (broken down) at the course and figured this was an easy way to grab the 3 or 4 clubs I need and bounce around with my son without having to put together or carry my cart bag or empty all of the contents of my bag into my locker. Ultimately I thought it would be easier to be able to drop the sunday bag quickly when my son makes a b-line for the pond.

I picked up this stitch bag when they had a mega sale (got it for about $100):

View attachment 9244237
I have the same Stitch bag and for me it holds all 14 clubs. Perfect to carry if you don't like bringing a lot of stuff/junk with you.

I could also use a lobotomy, but don't want to sidetrack this thread anymore.

I don’t think it’s a sidetrack at all. The two (Sunday bags and minimalist golf) go hand in hand together. Most who don’t get one will also not get the other. You can substitute “get” with “care about” or “agree with” and it works as well.

One of my best rounds during the early, “walking only” COVID days was when I took four clubs, three balls, and no bag and shot a cool 39 on the back nine at my course. I think I took driver, 6 iron, wedge and putter that day. Effortless and uncomplicated…a good walk that was not spoiled in the least.

Why? Its not an attack on a religion, clearly, for anybody that has followed this forum haha.
I know! It made me laugh actually because I thought it was a autocorrect on spelling.

I don’t think it’s a sidetrack at all. The two (Sunday bags and minimalist golf) go hand in hand together. Most who don’t get one will also not get the other. You can substitute “get” with “care about” or “agree with” and it works as well.
I know some really like the Sunday bag/minimalist. It's been a while since I have played with only a few clubs and it's fun to switch it up from time to time.

No. I don't like the look i would rather take a few clubs out of my bag and carry that around

I don’t see a point to a Sunday bag based on todays bags, so no thank you.

Have one. Yes, used it on the course, no. May have once used it to just take a few clubs to the range.

I have a Titleist Sunday bag and have owned several over the years.

For me it’s about the change of mindset. Making do with less. If I just took clubs out of my regular bag I would still have all the accumulated stuff that is in it. The Sunday bag has a towel, glove, sleeve or two of balls and a handful of tees. There is a freedom that comes from the constraints of not having everything with me.

For me the minimalist rounds of golf are about being more creative on the course. Going out with 1/3 of your bag leaves you in between clubs a lot and you have to figure out how to manufacture the shot you need to hit in the moment. Trying to sling a hook to get an extra 20 yards because there is no way to stop the next longer club on the green. Hitting a punch slice to not overshoot the green because being short is dead.

Some of the most fun I’ve had on a golf course was playing with the Sunday bag and racing against the setting sun to try and get 9 holes in. The bag switch helps get me in the mindset that I am going to be manufacturing shots.

Instead of rolling back the distance on balls they should cut the number of allowed clubs for tournament play from 14 to 9.

Holy hell... I read through a couple of pages of responses and the venom towards Sunday bags is crazy, like people have been really hurt by Sunday bags, lol!

I bought one in the last year to hang on my cart bag for the Spring and Fall seasons when it's cart path only at my golf course. There are plenty of times when I have hit to the opposite end of the cart path, and likely need multiple clubs and need to figure out my range, and definitely need an extra ball or two. :LOL: A lot of times if my riding partner and I are within 150-200 yards I'll grab the bag and some clubs and just meet him on the green, it saves time more than anything else. Plenty of times someone else in my group will need it as well, so we end up passing it around the foursome as needed to try and keep things moving along.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: JB
Why is it called a Sunday bag?
Because caddies used to get Sundays off back in the day. If you wanted to play in Sundays, you were on your own to carry your bag. Necessity is the mother of invention kinda thing. Now we just give the caddies every day off, and use a push cart :cool:

Holy hell... I read through a couple of pages of responses and the venom towards Sunday bags is crazy, like people have been really hurt by Sunday bags, lol!

I bought one in the last year to hang on my cart bag for the Spring and Fall seasons when it's cart path only at my golf course. There are plenty of times when I have hit to the opposite end of the cart path, and likely need multiple clubs and need to figure out my range, and definitely need an extra ball or two. :LOL: A lot of times if my riding partner and I are within 150-200 yards I'll grab the bag and some clubs and just meet him on the green, it saves time more than anything else. Plenty of times someone else in my group will need it as well, so we end up passing it around the foursome as needed to try and keep things moving along.
Wait. You take TWO bags for one round?

Do you keep the Sunday bag stocked with items needed as well as the regular bag? Or do you just load up what you need each time you take the extra bag to walk to the ball? No issues with slowing down pace of play with this?

I do the same as you do, without a second bag, snag a few wedges and a short iron and good to go.

Sunday bags are great for par 3 courses. Here in San Diego, there's at least half a dozen within a 30 min drive of me, so I play those tracks a bunch and bringing 5 or 6 clubs to them is is perfect.

When I visit my parents in Boise, ID, I think there are only two short courses in the entire metro area, and one's a 9 holer with nothing over 100 yards. Frankly, you could probably play it with 2 clubs. A Sunday bag in that environment is niche at best. It's all regulation 18s, and Sunday bags suck on those.

Back