Brand Talk: What comes to mind when you think of PING?

The Blueprint series is pretty damn nice looking and feeling if you ask me!
They aren’t ugly. Looks wise they are not mizuno.

Yeah, better than Mizuno…. 😏
Season 17 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

I like this thread; @ddec would you consider doing one each week for different brands? It makes for interesting reading.

I think it makes sense. No one is saying ping clubs don’t perform. The thing is ping is not making aspirational clubs. They aren’t making sexy looking chrome coated forged blades that people have inappropriate thoughts about. Ping makes functional flat gray irons and flat black woods and hybrids. Realistically more people should be in the boring looking consistently high performing clubs. But shiny is shiny.
Blueprint S would like a word.

I'm surprised by the answer as well.

For a long time there reputation was around engineering and results, even if their clubs were a little ugly.

Like a lot of brands they've had their own peaks - then struggled with that success. The G25s were arguably the pinnacle of the G line line...and they've struggled to find it again. The same with the i200 irons. They took a shot at hollow body irons with the i525 and g730 series....but they just didn't seem to resonate with consumers.

The G400 wood line was great....then the following releases struggled until G430.

They used to big huge in youth golf which paid off in spades as golfers got older. Now it seems like other OEMs have crept in. I have a buddy who's son got flown out to Carlsbad to get fitted with Callaway.

There was a time when my bag had migrated to all PING clubs. But now I have zero interest in their irons and found hybrids and wedges I prefer.

Older generation

I think of all the complaints of the sound from reading the forum :ROFLMAO: Also makes me think more old school and their color dot system.

What's your color code?

Forgiving clubs that are penalizing on the wallet.
A lot of people here are saying this. Are they priced any differently than Callaway, Taylormade and Titleist?

A lot of people here are saying this. Are they priced any differently than Callaway, Taylormade and Titleist?

Not really, but believe this thread is talking about ping not the other brands.

The 1970 Ping My Day that I putted with for years. Man I could get hot with it. Still have on the wall not 10 feet from where I sit. I'd have to put a bunch of lead tape on it now.

Not in a long time.
I’m amazed at all the negativity around PING although I agree with most of the reasons why.

When I first moved to AZ I was lucky enough to visit the PING club factory where they still made clubs in Phx. It was a very cool experience I’ll never forget.

I grew up thinking it was such a cool brand and I really don’t know why/when they started going downhill.

Maybe they got a little too bougie with their brand and forgot they needed to build products with enough performance to justify the premium price.

AZ is such a crazy golf Mecca these days.

Quiet PING branding at one end and PXG in your face on the other.

I agree PING has been a mess recently but I hope they find their way back.

played for 35 years without ever touching a Ping club, not for any particular reason. Then I tried a Ping driver (G410) and it genuinely transformed my game off the tee. Then I tried a Ping glide 2.0 wedge. Best wedge I’ve played. Ugly AF but works great for me. Finally, tried a set of Ping G425 irons, loved em, bought a set and it’s been a complete cluster****! What is disappointing is when I went to club champion, they measured my standard irons and found them to be 3 degrees flat!!! I get mass produced stuff ain’t gonna be spot on, but that’s a big difference to me and go’s someway to explaining why I’ve started missing stuff right. It’s enough to stop me ever buying Ping irons again!

@David7 you wanted thoughts on the other OEMs? I tried to relate them to automotive brands the way someone did here with Ping/Audi.
Titleist/ Mercedes
Ping/Audi
Mizuno/BMW
PXG/Tesla
Taylormade/Toyota
Callaway/Nissan
Cobra/Hyundai
Cleveland/Chevy
The top 4 have a country club cache about them, people who know take notice.
The bottom 4 have that Muni vibe… nobody at the club is going to be impressed, but the working man loves them.

Last edited:
Back