Brand Talk: What comes to mind when you think of PING?

Zing 2...

A

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't know what to think of Ping anymore. When I was in high school they were the innovative company with the Anser putter and the Eye2 irons. Feels like they kind of lost their way somewhere along the way to me.

Victor Hovland, Joachim Niemann and Tony Finau are suddenly feeling very old reading this thread.

😎

Moon Walk Dance GIF

Using only P words: Precision, Pragmatic, Performance.

Ping has never been an exciting brand but they make high quality products. I don’t think a lot of people know that for a long time a significant portion the Karsten Manufacturing empire’s revenue was not golf but casting precision parts for NASA and the US Military.

The one time leading innovator in golf equipment, whose light has dimmed over time.

I imagine an 8 to 12 handicap golfer when I think about Ping.

Expensive clubs, no ferrules and the original great Anser putter.

Edit: and tech, before tech was cool.

Putters. Probably because that is the only equipment category I have ever used from them.

Expensive but work

The feedback in this thread is odd to me.

They have a long history in golf equipment. Many of the models, shapes designs we use today are from Ping. They continue to innovate and push performance along in what seems to me, to be a logical way without making outrageous claims.

Sure, they have not in recent past made the best feeling/sounding clubs, but the performance is there.....and perhaps makes up for it a bit.

Always great to have options and Ping offers some great performing gear for us hackers.

Long term great fitting irons. First to create options for iron fittings like 40 years ago.

Wasn't sure if people would agree with my take when I read the title. I instantly thought "old." Wasn't sure that would be the shared opinion but clearly the first few pages largely agrees with that.

Forgiving clubs that are penalizing on the wallet.

I think it makes sense. No one is saying ping clubs don’t perform. The thing is ping is not making aspirational clubs. They aren’t making sexy looking chrome coated forged blades that people have inappropriate thoughts about. Ping makes functional flat gray irons and flat black woods and hybrids. Realistically more people should be in the boring looking consistently high performing clubs. But shiny is shiny.

They have a long history in golf equipment. Many of the models, shapes designs we use today are from Ping. They continue to innovate and push performance along in what seems to me, to be a logical way without making outrageous claims.

Sure, they have not in recent past made the best feeling/sounding clubs, but the performance is there.....and perhaps makes up for it a bit.

Always great to have options and Ping offers some great performing gear for us hackers.

Weren’t they the first to make cavitybacks?

First thing that comes to mind…

steve carrell anchorman GIF by FirstAndMonday

I think it makes sense. No one is saying ping clubs don’t perform. The thing is ping is not making aspirational clubs. They aren’t making sexy looking chrome coated forged blades that people have inappropriate thoughts about. Ping makes functional flat gray irons and flat black woods and hybrids. Realistically more people should be in the boring looking consistently high performing clubs. But shiny is shiny.

The Blueprint series is pretty damn nice looking and feeling if you ask me!

The ******* sound of their drivers.

I’d think since Ping is made in the USA the price might be high like everything else.
I believe it's been about 25 years since Ping produced heads within the USA. As far as I know for decades now Ping's putter, wedge, iron and metal wood heads are Made in China.

Great drivers.

Seems solid, but a bit boring

That’s the cool thing about threads like this, to see how others think. They’re always a hoot.

Spinny and loud

Back