Brand Talk: What comes to mind when you think of PING?

I like this thread; @ddec would you consider doing one each week for different brands? It makes for interesting reading.
we can definitely do this for other brands. It's been a fun discussion to follow.

Hmmm...meh is the first thing i think of. I feel like most times i see their clubs that is what it makes me feel. Not great not horrible, just meh.

I was a Ping fan for a lot of years. I loved the Eye2s way back in the day, but they were way beyond my budget at that time. I finally bought a set of Ping K15s in 2010, and played them for 10 years. I also played a couple different Ping putters, including the Scottsdale which was my favorite for quite a while. When it came time to buy new clubs, Ping didn't have anything that particularly appealed to me and it seemed like they had grown stale and were resting on their laurels rather than innovating like some other OEMs. I haven't had much interest in any of their products since.

Ping = fitting/ engineering to me.

Blue print s and t are the only ping irons I have thought looked good.

Stuffy, quality, for better players than me.

That said, I know they offer things for a lot of players at a lot of levels - it's just my perception.

I think of the name, and how it reminds me of the noise their clubs make when they land in a dumpster.
I think of this now.

they're solidly in the "There" category

never seem to want to make a splash

50 years of golf. Never played anything Ping other than a putter till I was over 60. Old man's club? Hmmmm. Maybe, or is it that they just work?
I never bagged anything Callaway till I was over 60 either. But I will never, ever even consider playing a Ping iron, that notch in the hosel is fugly, and making things easier to bend works both ways.

Last edited:
Have to give them kudos on QC though as all their specs were spot on which is more than I can say for the top OEM’s.

Four things come to mind when I think of Ping:
1. The Anser putter
2. Eye2 irons
3. Ugly persimmon woods
4. Two color golf balls

I also think of the Ping tour I had (Thanks THP!) where we learned that Ping makes everything they sell with the exception of the top and bottom plastics on their golf bags. Their campus is impressive!
I don't think Ping ever made a persimmon wood. I have seen a lot of laminates over the years but no persimmon. A search on line has turned up a number of clubs being sold as persimmon that are laminates. I guess the young ones think all woods that are wood must be persimmon. Not so......... like this. NOT persimmon

Last edited:
Old school, consistent, notched irons, loud drivers and expensive.

Interesting perspectives for sure. I never thought of anything Ping as fancy, more like the Tonka Trucks of golf. Cast stainless, bead blast/tumbled finish and no ferrules (at least until recently). Almost no frills in a way. The new stuff definitely seems more refined or at least shiny. I have i3 Blades and just picked up some i25’s so obviously way behind “modern” offerings and price isn’t really an issue for stuff this old. Bummed they aren’t made in USA, but I reckon nothing much is anymore.

Bubba Watson and the PINK shaft, Angel Jimenez playing and smoking a cigar, Square Grooves, the "PING" sound when you hit a shot, Karsten and his Putters

Last edited:
Ugly, expensive irons with too much bounce. Drivers that sound horrible. But they have been at the forefront of iron innovation for a long time. Seems like they are behind the times when it comes to drivers and fairway woods. I've had a few sets of PING irons in my day, and I liked the G25's the best. I built a really nice set of i210's a few years ago, and they were just "meh". Idk why they were hyped up so much. I currently own a set of BeCu Zings and they are clicky and feel like 💩. The stainless steel versions are much better, IMO.
I'm back on the Mizuno bandwagon when it comes to irons, so I've pretty much lost interest in all other brands. But I would still consider a set of PINGs if they were the best fit. I sure as hell wouldn't give you a nickel for a set of Taylormade irons, even if they were the best fit. Taylormade irons just make me want to puke.

A lot of people here are saying this. Are they priced any differently than Callaway, Taylormade and Titleist?
This is a great point. Walking past the racks looking at dozens of sets priced at $1999.99 CAD and seeing one priced at $2099.99 probably shouldn't leave you like this.
Spewing Tyler Perry GIF by Nickelodeon

"Meh"

I don't think Ping ever made a persimmon wood. I have seen a lot of laminates over the years but no persimmon. A search on line has turned up a number of clubs being sold as persimmon that are laminates. I guess the young ones think all woods that are wood must be persimmon. Not so......... like this. NOT persimmon
Yes, Ping laminated wood for drivers and fairways and putter. No persimmon.
Danser.jpg

Interesting perspectives for sure. I never thought of anything Ping as fancy, more like the Tonka Trucks of golf. Cast stainless, bead blast/tumbled finish and no ferrules (at least until recently). Almost no frills in a way. The new stuff definitely seems more refined or at least shiny. I have i3 Blades and just picked up some i25’s so obviously way behind “modern” offerings and price isn’t really an issue for stuff this old. Bummed they aren’t made in USA, but I reckon nothing much is anymore.

Approximately 25 years ago the Ping ISI was the last model produced at Ping's Phoenix, Arizona foundry. The i3 o-size and i3 blade were the first Made in China Ping iron head production. Karsten Solheim's son John claimed that environmental regulations were the reason for the change to from USA to China production but the truth is he wanted cheaper labor and higher profit margins.

Approximately 25 years ago the Ping ISI was the last model produced at Ping's Phoenix, Arizona foundry. The i3 o-size and i3 blade were the first Made in China Ping iron head production. Karsten Solheim's son John claimed that environmental regulations were the reason for the change to from USA to China production but the truth is he wanted cheaper labor and higher profit margins.
It was both, the truth is it was both.

boring

forgiving

Zing.

Memories

My dad introduced me to golf and for the longest time all I wanted to do was use the same clubs he had. To me it was like a way of using the “big boy clubs”, even at 12 years old. He had eye2 irons and the IST driver. Eventually he upgraded and those clubs made their way to me. Really enjoyed those clubs a lot!

Way down their road, after high school and college, I got back into the game and decided to get my own set of new irons on my own $. I tried a few but went PING based on a lot of factors. Was cool having my first new set be PING too, and learning about their color system was intriguing as well since I had no clue about any of that at the time.

In a way, it brought back those memories, even 20 years later.

Back