How do you handle slow play in front of you?

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
Title explains it and so does this:

Ill skip ahead and come back and play the hole I missed.

humans in general are just no as co-operative or caring as they used to be -- like when there were just 6 or 7 on the planet instead of 8 billion. The answer for most problems is a vast increase in birth control. But to answer this particular question - I send up my drone and give 1 warning... if things don't improve I dust the offenders with my joke shop itching powder. It's a riot !!

booze

:censored: then

:sick: then

:unsure: then

call a Marshal (thanks, Nate) to see if room exists to skip around, if no open holes, drink.

Last edited:
Call the proshop if definite problem is identified.

If that doesn't work.....

Music and booze.

FB, THP, poker, a nap, maybe a movie on my phone.

A good preshot routine solves the slow play issue, if done correctly.

Like most, I don't care much for slow play, but I don't let it bother me...even a little. I never let it manipulate my game. I would never blame my own poor score on someone else's pace of play. I'm playing against the course. Not someone else's genetic timing.

People just live their lives at different speeds. They play golf at their own speeds. That's human nature

Run through the short list of private clubs I am considering joining and re-evaluate what I deem important enough to pull the trigger.

At the end of the 2020 season I was beginning to ponder how many more 4.25+ hour rounds I could take. Nothing gives me a good chuckle like being told by the ranger that speed is "on pace". Likely will be walking more often in 2021 to combat slow play.

I usually just sit in the cart, get quiet and completely lose my rhythm and enjoyment of playing. Player B in our group idly says if it keeps up they will call the clubhouse, but never do. Player C starts slamming clubs and swearing. Player D starts complaining just loud enough for the group to hear something but not loud enough to make out what is being said.

It depends on circumstance. If it's a group playing slow because someone is obviously learning the game but taking it seriously, I have much more patience. If they're falling down drunk, I'll tell them that I'm playing through. Most times though, I'm not bothered by a long round. Find another beverage, practice putting, and make some posts on THP.

Yeah... I find more fault with the guys driving carts to close to the green or simply leaving them in a bad place (wrong side of the green, in front of, too far from the exit point of the hole)... other things like looking in waist high weeds every hole or going backwards on a hole because one guy passed his ball up or we have a several creek crossing holes, having people down in the creek fishing out balls...

So I just listened to the video in the OP. It does add an element when the slow group is clearly up ahead not just in front of you. I know one thing that didn't work out... we had a guy come up to us while waiting in the middle of a hole and ask if the 2some behind him could play thru us because he didn't like being pushed by a 2some... Haha, my forward speaking partner said "Where the hell you want them to go? Its 2pm on a Saturday and the entire course is packed?" So I guess it wasn't a similar slow group situation but still funny.

Last edited:
I just got a little irritated reading about slow play, so yes it drives me bonkers and i haven't played in a long time. Won't put up with waiting on people waiting more than a couple holes after contacting Pro Shop. If it doesn't improve I would probably just leave or skip 1-5 holes to get out of the jam.

normally, i don't handle it very well...

Generally nothing, followed by a wicked hook into the woods and cussing about rhythm.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well first I use this as an excuse for my terrible play! Then I just look for a Marshall and say something to him. If that doesn't work, I have another pop. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

Settle in, socialize, and THP.

I hate it. If the flow is good and then just stops it sucks. If I can skip holes I will, if not then I try to just take swings to stay loose. I have called pro shop for the Marshall before but usually does no good

I usually pull out the phone and THP if I’m by myself. If I have a cartner maybe chat it up a bit

I use golf as leisure time to kinda unwind, usually the easy fix is I will hit maybe one or two extra shots and if it's really bad I'll ask politely if I can play through. Otherwise I'm sitting back and just enjoying the weather.

People in front of you are always slower...just ask the group behind you.

If there’s room ahead we’ll skip holes and pass them, come back and play those holes later. If it’s packed with nowhere to go, it’s time to light a cigar, listen to some tunes, relax and socialize, maybe hit a few chips around the tee box. 99.9% of my rounds are played with good friends I’ve known for years, so the conversation is always good and we can make the best of a bad situation.

Back