Search results for query: *

1. R

Most aces?

Low handicap player for years and a former club champ but only 2 so far. A number of eagles and an albatross (see other thread) but stuck on a couple so far with many near misses. 1983 127 yards 9 iron Sligo GC in Silver Spring, Maryland a 9 hole short course no par 5 (occurred on the 2nd hole)...
  2. R

Who else has made an albatross?

Year 2006 Course: Outskirts of Philadelphia area https://www.theclubatshannondell.com/public-golf-shannondell-valley-forge-park/ Hole #5 about 470y into wind from Blue tees - shot in from right fairway was only about 210y and went in on 2nd “hop” Club: 5 wood Callaway “steelhead” black head...
  3. R

Out four months or so was this doctor with medical and surgery things name three things I missed

Advanced urological surgery (history of prostate cancer), another coming next month and just spent another week in Walter Reed (fabulous surgeons and support staff) so what did I miss in the golf world? Give me three things and what I need to follow now. Saw Ryder Cup last big event took in...
  4. R

In Prayers and to a speedy recover Mr. Casey Martin - onto a better life and hopefully golf after amputation

Casey Martin, college golf coach and former PGA Tour pro, has right leg amputated | Golf News and Tour Information | GolfDigest.com He will recover, get a great prothesis and eventually play on the senior tour I would bet. Great spirit and a had a tough go with his congenital condition.
  5. R

New Orleans area golf and/or membership

Son 23 and a six handicap is moving to NO in a week for a great professional opportunity. Has a golf background working at clubs and 2nd Swing and played HS golf. He has a young adult membership at a private club in Maryland and is hoping to find a course to join that might offer reduced rates...
  6. R

Ryder Cup what 6 to be picked?

https://www.rydercup.com/rankings Stricker has a tough selection job and he has stated reaching out to current top 6 for advice. This includes the feud stars so should be interesting. Pick 6. 7-12 are pretty stout with all deserving consideration; but how about a case for Phil? Zalatoris...
  7. R

Next Five Years Most Majors?

Throw in one more in 21 and 21 in play. Major wins are hard period. Pick your top three in order with wins and why? Rahm - 4 more or more because he is top tier Rory - 2-3 more as on way back despite falling off yesterday Morakawa and Bryson - 2 each as both with great strengths; but the...
  8. R

How to get my formerly very good game at least somewhat back?

Public health doctor totally occupied by work and giveing vaccines during last yeat truly now playing again some and struggling to get game back after also some injuries. Former club champ who has played in 3 state amateurs and played in US Open qualifiers and now am struggling to make...
  9. R

"Different" colored irons apologies and thoughts

Apologies up front - a week or so ago I got hammered appropriately for using the term :"gimmick" to describe a club that was copper colored and may wear unless had a tech advantage. I actually have taught marketing in the realm of public health (social marketing) and meant to say that it was a...
  10. R

Praying for Mr. Tom Weiskopf

Caddied nine holes for him late one afternoon when working at OSU and he treated me nice and hit the ball longer than anyone I had ever seen to that point reaching 12 Scarlet about 565 yards and all carry over a creek with a mid iron iron. Tipped well. Now he has pancreatic cancer and this...
  11. R

Most Cost Effective Rangefinder or Watch?

My son who is a very good golfer but tends to lose stuff; wants a rangefinder or watch to just measure distance to the hole. His last was either lost or stolen. Trying to get best price point for a decent product for a gift idea to him from a relative. I might chip in to help them buy for...
  12. R

Panama

My wife is from there and I played in the Panasonic Open while stationed there in the Army and they have at least 10 great golf courses. Coronado is a superb resort course near the Ocean as one. One near the city that has been restored is called Summit. Consider a trip there as the country...
  13. R

3 Best Lists - Here are some of mine re the great game of golf

We all got our own lists - here are some of mine 1. GOAT - Nicklaus (margin is diminishing); Woods; Hogan (salient case can be made for B. Jones) 2. Club Manufacturers Overall - Titliest (just have that look), Callaway, tie between Mizuno - PXG (as they treat Veterans right mainly 3...
  14. R

Another sad story of an infant related to a tour star as JN donates large part of winnings to try to help young relative

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/joaquinn-niemann-raising-money-for-sick-baby-with-Spinal-Muscular-Atrophy Pediatrician and public health doctor here and have worked with kids with this terrible and similar genetic disease and am making a donation. The drug Zolgensma - approved about 2 years...
  15. R

How much is too much top line equipment?

As background I am a former club champion and club maker back in day who is also a Veteran (gets substantial PXG discount - highly appreciated) and bottom line have never paid full manufacturers price any piece of equipment but might soon on a Sachs Pariente or other innovative putter. I do...
  16. R

Honor Those Who Serve and Best Military Golf Courses

Honor all who serve which as a retired Army Doc I do as well in a current role at the VA Among Best Military Courses I have played Ft. Ord - believe closed now? Ft. Gordon near Augusta spectacular Shaw AFB Ft. Sam Houston’s two courses US Navy Academy Ft. McClellan, Al now closed (was club...
  17. R

Article of the year on GM

Analytics don't lie and why DM is one who will dominate on tour next decade. https://golf.com/news/decade-stats-course-strategy-changing-how-pros-play/as improved. Great article. “My job is to remove limiting beliefs,” says Fawcett, who has become an advisor to more than 50 touring pros...
  18. R

Top three tour pros you root for and why?

I watch the tour avidly and bet on it in the majors (legally) and got to thinking can I narrow down my favorite tour pros to three and why? 1. Rory McIlroy as he has persevered, has incredible talent (destroyed Congressional in an Open I watched) and seems to have matured. Plus I am 1/2...
  19. R

Hardest club in bag to fill for me is higher FW - revise the old but tested, or go new (4-5w)?

All former good player here - back in game after several years of injuries. I have filled my set recently with fitted PXGs (0211 irons with Accra shafts (super clubs) , a hybrid and a Gen 2 driver) except Vokey wedges, a old but good Scotty, and a dependable Ping G20 3w that has a high...
  20. R

General praise of the THP site especially as they truly know and can communicate on golf equipment

Was off for a few years but this site is fabulous. JB and other reviewers truly know their stuff and merchandise not normally promoted is fairly. Videos and other things of high quality. Knowledge level and respect of posters is superior. I have built clubs and played a high competitive...
Back