1 man scramble golf tourney

CorvetteGuy

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.6
we have one or two of these a year in our club.. this format was a 1 man scramble but 3 shots maximum per hole.. I shot a gross 60 - Net 56 for 16 shots under my age. How's is that for ringing out the New Year???

Hell yeah! Nice work!

Nice job! Sounds like a fun time.
Do you go out in Pairs?

Nice! That sounds like a fun format

That's a fun event. I wish my club did that---we were also trying to get a 1-club tournament going

Awesome work!!!

Sounds fun, but not sure I’d like how my back felt the following day.

we have one or two of these a year in our club.. this format was a 1 man scramble but 3 shots maximum per hole.. I shot a gross 60 - Net 56 for 16 shots under my age. How's is that for ringing out the New Year???
Any guess at the % of strokes where you used 1st, 2nd and 3rd shots?

Sounds awesome! 3 balls per shot or 3 mulligans per hole or max 3 strokes per hole?

So three drives, 3 approaches from best drive, three putts from best on green? The 3 putts from the same spot would be very sweet. Should result in a bunch of 1-putts.

Nice playing for an Old Fart. Ha

Sounds awesome! 3 balls per shot or 3 mulligans per hole or max 3 strokes per hole?

3 balls per shot ??-- not sure what that means.. are you thinking we would hit three balls at the same time?

3 shots maximum per hole the way we played it is you "can" take another shot/stroke/swing/attempt/ at it anytime you want but you can only do this 3 times per hole.. For Example, you did not like your drive, so you elect to hit another ball, , - you now have 2 left, once you hit your next shot and you dont like that one either , hit again , you now have 1 left on this hole, So now let's say you are on the green and putting and your first try misses the cup, since you have one left, try it again. if you still miss you get no more additional attempts to hole out. Meaning no extra tries to get the ball into the cup. So now when you get to the next hole - you get 3 more in the bank of extra shots/tries/ mulligans/breakfast balls - whatever term you like. does this help clarify it?

So three drives, 3 approaches from best drive, three putts from best on green? The 3 putts from the same spot would be very sweet. Should result in a bunch of 1-putts.

so your way of thinking would be taking 6 extra shots per hole ( 2 after your 1st attempt on each hole position)- instead of our 3 extra shots per hole maximum in our rules.. seems like your way would be a 8 -9 hour long round.

That would actually be a really damn fun format to try and see what one could shoot.

Potentially slow, but fun.

Nice shooting!

Any guess at the % of strokes where you used 1st, 2nd and 3rd shots?

I will try to remember.. maybe 17% on the Drive, 24% on the Fairway, and 44% on the Green.. and before you ask since it does not add up to 100% - most of us did not use all three extra shots on each hole.. I had three natural birdies - meaning no extra shots needed and several holes had 1 or 2 left over. And NO, there were no carry overs if not used. Each hole had an expiration of the 3 extra shots you could take if they were not used.

I will try to remember.. maybe 17% on the Drive, 24% on the Fairway, and 44% on the Green.. and before you ask since it does not add up to 100% - most of us did not use all three extra shots on each hole.. I had three natural birdies - meaning no extra shots needed and several holes had 1 or 2 left over. And NO, there were no carry overs if not used. Each hole had an expiration of the 3 extra shots you could take if they were not used.
I see. When I asked I assumed it was 3 attempts at each and every shot...as if you were a 3 man scramble team with yourself as the other two. I see that was cleared up above.

So you could hit up to extra shots per hole?

When you say "3 shots maximum per hole" do you mean you can play up to 3 balls, then pick the best of those balls and play up to three shots, etcetera?

3 balls per shot ??-- not sure what that means.. are you thinking we would hit three balls at the same time?

3 shots maximum per hole the way we played it is you "can" take another shot/stroke/swing/attempt/ at it anytime you want but you can only do this 3 times per hole.. For Example, you did not like your drive, so you elect to hit another ball, , - you now have 2 left, once you hit your next shot and you dont like that one either , hit again , you now have 1 left on this hole, So now let's say you are on the green and putting and your first try misses the cup, since you have one left, try it again. if you still miss you get no more additional attempts to hole out. Meaning no extra tries to get the ball into the cup. So now when you get to the next hole - you get 3 more in the bank of extra shots/tries/ mulligans/breakfast balls - whatever term you like. does this help clarify it?
Thanks! Effectively 3 mulligans per hole. Cool format!

When you say "3 shots maximum per hole" do you mean you can play up to 3 balls, then pick the best of those balls and play up to three shots, etcetera?
yes 3 extra shots.. so I will try to make it simpler. If you play an 18 hole course, for the sake of argument, the first hole is a Par 4, which is usually labeled at the Tee Box as Hole 1, you tee off and you like that shot so you go forward to your ball, hit that and now your second shot goes into a penalty area, you can if you wish to do so, drop another ball and try it again, so now you hit a good shot and you are on the green, you are now laying 2, your bad shot into the penalty is not counted, so next you would putt lets say you ARE 35 FEET AWAY from the hole on Hole #1 - and your first putt misses the cup by 6 feet, so you can place another ball and try again, so now you are probably closer to the hole, so you go to that ball that is now closer to the hole, you are laying 3 , your first putt does not count. You can now try to putt that ball into the hole , don't forget you are now laying 3, and now you are putting for Par on this Hole #1 Par 4, and you used two of the free extra shots of the 3 that are allowed which is the maximum per hole. If you don't make that Putt, you can try once more from that spot, which would be the last of 3 extra shots and now you make that -- you card a 4 on the hole. You can also call the 3 extra shots or mulligans if you wish, but we don't use that term in our state cuz it might be objectionable to some. So , now after writing that 4 on your scorecard you go to Hole #2 - and start all over again with 3 extra shots Mulligans if you so wish and is not objectionable to you in your Bank ... So you tee off and you like that drive ... so you go forward to your shot laying 1, hitting 2. knowing now you have 3 extra shots to hole out on Hole #2. That is of course unless you play the course backward which now you would be at Hole 18 with 3 extra Mullies for that hole. I hope this helps..
I know it has been a tough year and out of the 60 players we had in this tournament I am sure some used 3 shots per position on each hole - the saving factor here is they must have been behind us cuz I am sure they did not finish all 18 holes before it got dark. :cool:

And before someone asks - no you cannot carry 3 X14 clubs in your bag - we were still limited to 14 clubs. And I think handicaps were reduced to 50% or 70% - Dont know for sure cuz I usually try to play in Gross Division. And for those that dont know - Gross is your real score on the score card - Net is the score once your Handicap is used for your Score. I wont say subtracted here cuz some times you have to add strokes if you have a + Handicap, but prolly if you do have a + Handicap I would think you would not need to read the above information on playing the first hole. ;)

Last edited:
so your way of thinking would be taking 6 extra shots per hole ( 2 after your 1st attempt on each hole position)- instead of our 3 extra shots per hole maximum in our rules.. seems like your way would be a 8 -9 hour long round.
Ok now I understand. Use up to three extra shots per hole.

Ok now I understand. Use up to three extra shots per hole.

Correct -- and I think but could be wrong or confusing here -- Our Pro used the word Maximum of 3 shots per hole. I think that is the same thing as UP To. we went with Maximum in our group. (y)

Back