2020 Open Championship Cancelled

ddstanford

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Sad news arriving tomorrow may be the cancelation of the Open. What a bummer.

Just read a couple of reports about it. Sad news indeed. It has easily always been my favorite major.

Wow! That’s a different strategy than the delay tactics we’re seeing with the PGA. Will be interesting to see who makes the next move.

Wow! That’s a different strategy than the delay tactics we’re seeing with the PGA. Will be interesting to see who makes the next move.

I read for the Open that there was an insurance issue that factored into a cancellation as opposed to a postponement.

At least when they would say postponement we could hold onto some sort of hope. Cancellations just suck.

I am still hoping we can see things start to get back to normal by June. I think we will start to get an idea of the length this will last as overseas start to open. If we see China open we should have an idea about how many weeks we are behind them.

I wonder how much time the PGA scheduled course would need to get the course in shape and built for a tournament. If we were open by mid June I would think by July 4th we would see major sports back in play.

2020 is a bust. It’s official.
This is a sad day for sure! No Open championship and I don't even like tennis, but I do look forward to watching Wimbledon and US Open Tennis
However, 2020 Not a bust though.... August is still happening! I have faith!

Not sure why you think it cancelled, decision not yet made.

Not sure why you think it cancelled, decision not yet made.

Last night the internet told me it was cancelled, but today it changed its mind!

Things will continue to drop, sadly. Have to hope we get a taste of competitive golf this year, but who knows what's left.

Yeah, I'm really getting concerned this is going to linger.... I really hope I'm wrong and we are done with it by end of April/start of May

This is a sad day for sure! No Open championship and I don't even like tennis, but I do look forward to watching Wimbledon and US Open Tennis
However, 2020 Not a bust though.... August is still happening! I have faith!

Yeah, the cancellation of Wimbledon hit me harder than either of the golf majors, only because I've been in and around tennis for far longer than golf. But, I understand why they're having to get these things done so early. Wimbledon said that since April is really their big start-up for planning/training/execution of the majority of their event related items, they had to make the call now. Hate to see these things happen.

I read for the Open that there was an insurance issue that factored into a cancellation as opposed to a postponement.

I read the same thing. Makes sense on their part if it does not appear they will be able to play it as normal with the usual gallery.

Yeah, the cancellation of Wimbledon hit me harder than either of the golf majors, only because I've been in and around tennis for far longer than golf. But, I understand why they're having to get these things done so early. Wimbledon said that since April is really their big start-up for planning/training/execution of the majority of their event related items, they had to make the call now. Hate to see these things happen.

Wimbledon going down was one that stung for me too. I don't watch a whole lot of tennis, but there's something about Wimbledon that if it's on, I follow. It's almost like the Augusta of tennis, even though they're all at the same venue every year. Wimbledon just has something special about it.

Awful news. If I could only keep 2 majors it would be this and the Masters. Really interested how the schedule plays out (if it can).

The US Open at Winged Foot is minutes (5?) away from New Rochelle, which is ground zero for the virus in NY. Keeping my eye on that.

I just want to watch some competitive golf and that seems like it’s getting farther and farther out of reach

The US Open at Winged Foot is minutes (5?) away from New Rochelle, which is ground zero for the virus in NY. Keeping my eye on that.
I was really looking forward to that tournament as I was planning to attend at least one day

The difficulty will be the qualifying rounds , as the qualifying rounds start on four continents in May, finishing in July.

It may be that they truncate the qualifying rounds and give a bigger entry from the world rankings.

Back