2009 Women's British Open

Whew! I was hoping that was it. Otherwise PETA may have been after her for sitting on a rabbit.

I thought Judy Rankin had a great thought about Michelle Wie. I think most of us would not think of her as a good putter. However, she is actually tied with Natalie Gulbis (and three others) for the least number of putts per GIR. Judy made the comment that the reason most people may think she is not a good putter is because she gives herself so many birdie putts. We always see the birdie putts on TV so we see her miss more putts than most because she is giving herself more opportunities than most.

Love seeing Christina Kim in at even, tied for 5th.

Ai Miyazato had a triple bogey and still finished with a 71. She is tied for 10, only 5 back from the leaders. I said this during the Evian, I just love to watch her swing a golf club.

Ai Miyazato had a triple bogey and still finished with a 71. She is tied for 10, only 5 back from the leaders. I said this during the Evian, I just love to watch her swing a golf club.

I re-develop a crush on Wie every time they show her swing.

I almost picked young Glwadys myself.

Kris Tamulis just took a 12 on the par-5 6th. She had 2 double bogies before that. She is +11 through 6 holes.

I thought Judy Rankin had a great thought about Michelle Wie. I think most of us would not think of her as a good putter. However, she is actually tied with Natalie Gulbis (and three others) for the least number of putts per GIR. Judy made the comment that the reason most people may think she is not a good putter is because she gives herself so many birdie putts. We always see the birdie putts on TV so we see her miss more putts than most because she is giving herself more opportunities than most.

Love seeing Christina Kim in at even, tied for 5th.

Keep in mind that Wie gets a lower number of GIR because she does miss quite a few greens as well. But her save percentage is fairly high. So chip on and one putt

Its amazing to me how many players that are not well known at all to the masses win tournies and majors on the LPGA. The top 10 for this one was pretty good, but most people have never heard of the winner. I thought this was a fun tournament and wish we had more coverage.

Well played Catriona :banana: i assure you all she is very well known here and has been for many years now.

No question about it. on the LET, she is very well known. Just not on the LPGA.

No question about it. on the LET, she is very well known. Just not on the LPGA.

I don't know JB, I think anyone who is a fan of the LPGA over the last few years knows her name. She has always been big in the Solheim. I agree that her name won't draw people in like Michelle Wie, but people who are LPGA fans know her.

Great final round! Always fun to see Christina Kim up there and I am always rooting for Paula to win her first major. The coverage was tough though, no replays, seeing a player and jumping to another player before they take their shot, not seeing some players at all.

I wish they had shown the coverage of the Soheim announcement rather than 2 seconds of the press conference. :confused2:

At our club there are lots of "fringe" LPGA fans and it was surprising to see that nobody had ever heard of her. Sure die hards do. But they know everybody. They need the top 10 players and even more the top 5 players to excel and they just are not in the majors this year.

I agree they need the top players/top names to come through and win. The question is, why aren't the players stepping up and winning?

Also, wanted to give a congratulations to Kristy McPherson for another great finish in a major this year. She obviously plays the tough courses well. I think we will see her emerge as a top player and get her first win soon. Why haven't we seen more coverage of her, just one shot over the weekend, I think she could be good for the LPGA.

Nabisco: T-2nd
LPGA: T-5
USOpen: T34
British: 7

I think that the top players are not coming through as much because of course setup over the course their season. It does not dictate "stronger players survive" type of play. Most play the same shots on every hole, and when the tough majors come through, they are just not ready for it. My 2 cents anyway.

If they are playing easier courses wouldn't you just expect the stronger players to run away with it? It isn't just the majors that they aren't winning.

Christina Kim has become my favorite LPGA player. The girls are here in Calgary sometime soon for the Canadian open and I might just go watch them.

I think I met Cristy Kerr or someone Kerr last time they were here and she was really nice. That was like 10 years ago.

If they are playing easier courses wouldn't you just expect the stronger players to run away with it? It isn't just the majors that they aren't winning.

Not at all. Because the courses make it for "machines". Distance means nothing. If you miss a fairway, it does not penalize.

So what you mean by "strong players" is longer hitters? Regardless of the ease or difficulty of a course, if a player is better, they should win. If you want to see the longer hitters winning, than a course can be set up so that can happen. But to me a better player puts the ball closer to the hole, has short birdie putts, makes their longer putts, puts the ball where it needs to be in the fairway, all of those skills equals wins on any type of course.

Not necessarily longer hitters. Although I do think they should be playing from 6500 on average. But when lesser players miss the fairway, they are not really penalized, so they can easily hit greens. If it were more penalizing to hit fairways then the lesser players would not be putting as many pars and birdies on the score card.

I don't know JB, I think anyone who is a fan of the LPGA over the last few years knows her name. She has always been big in the Solheim. I agree that her name won't draw people in like Michelle Wie, but people who are LPGA fans know her.

Great final round! Always fun to see Christina Kim up there and I am always rooting for Paula to win her first major. The coverage was tough though, no replays, seeing a player and jumping to another player before they take their shot, not seeing some players at all.

I wish they had shown the coverage of the Soheim announcement rather than 2 seconds of the press conference. :confused2:

In 2008 she played in quite a few events and had only 2 top 10s and no top 5s.
This year she has played in only 2 events other than the British.

I still do not think the casual fan has ever heard of her.

Well I remember her name but that is about all I can say about her.

The bad thing for me was that I turned on the final round and thought it would be fun to watch, at the first commercial break I changed channels over to ESPN and as soon as I did that the scroll across the bottom told me who won the tourney... So I never went back to the golf.

The last three major winners I had never heard of before. Nordqvist was the only one I had heard of before the final round of the tournament.

From the first major of the year, Lincicome I had heard of but really didn't know much about her.

Back