2014 Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Woods

Golf Ghost

Reaction score
There's been a lot of hype surrounding the two new Callaway Big Bertha driver releases today, yet there's something being over looked here. Something I know I'm excited for.....

Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Woods.

The major news coming from Callaway about the new Big Bertha FW line is the introduction of the forged face cup technology found in their other popular fairway woods.

From the new Callaway site:http://www.callawaygolf.com/big-bertha/?mcid1=100
Fairway Wood

• Hyper Speed Face Cup
    Faster ball speeds all across the face from a thinner, lighter, more robust 455 carpenter steel face, giving you more consistent distance and playability. Those are always good, but especially so in a fairway wood.
  • New Advanced Adjustable Hosel Technology
    Increase or decrease your loft (up to +2° or down -1°) and adjust Draw or Neutral bias, optimizing your launch, backspin and dialing in your preferred shot shape. In a few clicks, you’ll be fit for maximizing your distance with more accuracy.
  • Internal Standing Wave
    It precisely locates the CG for more consistent launch, spin and distance across the face.
  • Premium Mitsubishi Fubuki High Performance Shaft
    A new lightweight, premium shaft offering from Mitsubishi, makers of some of the most trusted shafts on Tour. This new design increases energy transfer, resulting in more ball speed while delivering higher launch for low spin, with a smooth, consistent feel.

[video=youtube;_yW-CUiYP8c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yW-CUiYP8c[/video]

Edit: Thanks Icey for the website update info.

Last edited:
Loft & lie customization, nice shallow face, looks very hittable off the deck. I want one. Actually, I think I want two. Darn it, there's so much amazing stuff at the top of the bag out there right now!

I need to hit one of these... I think I have a Hawkeye sitting in my basement which I could compare for laughs

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4* of loft lie adjustment hotter face than the X2Hot interesting!

I think a company's ultimate goal is to manufacture a 3 Wood that is great not only off the tee, but off the deck as well. For me, (and prob most golfers) the shallower the face, the easier it is for me to launch it off the deck. Deeper face 3Ws are much easier to hit off the tee, but I struggle with them off the deck.

I long for that 3W that can function well in both roles. The whole Bertha Line seems to be a home run. Can't wait until they are released in Feb. Between the x2 Hot and Bertha lines (and possibly a mid summer release) there is gonna be a club that suits anybody this year.

Can the irons be far behind?

definately need to hit one of these soon...I am in the market for a new FW too

I cant handle all of this information feel like its Christmas o wait it is.

I think a company's ultimate goal is to manufacture a 3 Wood that is great not only off the tee, but off the deck as well. For me, (and prob most golfers) the shallower the face, the easier it is for me to launch it off the deck. Deeper face 3Ws are much easier to hit off the tee, but I struggle with them off the deck.

I long for that 3W that can function well in both roles. The whole Bertha Line seems to be a home run. Can't wait until they are released in Feb. Between the x2 Hot and Bertha lines (and possibly a mid summer release) there is gonna be a club that suits anybody this year.

Agreed with you 100% Dc. Glad to see This with the new FW line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can the irons be far behind?

I'm wondering if the Apex line is suppose to compliment the Big Bertha woods?

There was no RFE iron.....I unno.

I love the sounds of them from the new callaway site!
I love the info on the Fairway woods on the callaway page from the videos!!!
Fairway Wood

• Hyper Speed Face Cup
    Faster ball speeds all across the face from a thinner, lighter, more robust 455 carpenter steel face, giving you more consistent distance and playability. Those are always good, but especially so in a fairway wood.
  • New Advanced Adjustable Hosel Technology
    Increase or decrease your loft (up to +2° or down -1°) and adjust Draw or Neutral bias, optimizing your launch, backspin and dialing in your preferred shot shape. In a few clicks, you’ll be fit for maximizing your distance with more accuracy.
  • Internal Standing Wave
    It precisely locates the CG for more consistent launch, spin and distance across the face.
  • Premium Mitsubishi Fubuki High Performance Shaft
    A new lightweight, premium shaft offering from Mitsubishi, makers of some of the most trusted shafts on Tour. This new design increases energy transfer, resulting in more ball speed while delivering higher launch for low spin, with a smooth, consistent feel.
http://www.callawaygolf.com/big-bertha/?mcid1=100

This is not helping my recent thoughts about changing my 3w...

That video is great. Sounds like a pretty amazing club. I wonder if they are going to be offering a 3 wood and a 5 wood, or just the three?

That video is great. Sounds like a pretty amazing club. I wonder if they are going to be offering a 3 wood and a 5 wood, or just the three?

I think I caught him saying 3, 5, & 7 wood.

I'm glad you posted this, because I hadn't watched the video yet. It broke a preconceived notion I had about it as well. Didn't expect to hear that they think it's got higher MOI than the X2 Hot. I love the idea that you can adjust it. First thought for me would be a 5w lofted down a bit. Similar loft to a 4w, which I like, but with the shorter shaft. Very cool and I can't wait to see it in person.

I think I caught him saying 3, 5, & 7 wood.

I'm glad you posted this, because I hadn't watched the video yet. It broke a preconceived notion I had about it as well. Didn't expect to hear that they think it's got higher MOI than the X2 Hot. I love the idea that you can adjust it. First thought for me would be a 5w lofted down a bit. Similar loft to a 4w, which I like, but with the shorter shaft. Very cool and I can't wait to see it in person.

Brilliant. Though seriously thinking about going 5w.

I know I just got my RFX 3 wood, but that might be moving out of my bag for one of these!

5W @ 17° seems like a winner to me. I think I'm more excited for these than I am for the drivers.

This is definitely the case for me too. I'm longing for a 3W I can get out there off the deck, and get it out there but in play on those tighter holes. Will be pondering this line for sure.

I'm right there with ya buddy. This looks like a winner.

This looks awesome, just like the drivers. I tried to fish for info from Harry on potential more BB's than the three revealed yesterday. His response was "Yeah in January (kidding)"

This year I took a 3W out of the bag and went with a 2 hybrid set. Partly because I rarely used my 3w and because my distances lent itself for a 2/3hybo. Now that I read this is adjustable and easier to hit off the deck, I'm seriously pondering one of these and ditching the 2/3hybo.

Tapping away on my iPhone

Well I WAS going to get an X2 Hot 3w...notice I said WAS. How can they continue to "one up" themselves? Isn't there a point where they can't do anything more? I mean think about it, clubs cannot continually and forever get longer it's simply not feasible. You can't add 9 to 12 yards EACH year. Maybe a conversation for a different thread.

Well I WAS going to get an X2 Hot 3w...notice I said WAS. How can they continue to "one up" themselves? Isn't there a point where they can't do anything more? I mean think about it, clubs cannot continually and forever get longer it's simply not feasible. You can't add 9 to 12 yards EACH year. Maybe a conversation for a different thread.

You would think. But they seem to keep out doing themselves. Which just makes it better for us. LOL

Didn't expect to hear that they think it's got higher MOI than the X2 Hot. I love the idea that you can adjust it. First thought for me would be a 5w lofted down a bit. Similar loft to a 4w, which I like, but with the shorter shaft. Very cool and I can't wait to see it in person.
I was thinking 3W lofted up to 4W. I like the way you think better. I had been thinking my bag was pretty well set. Now that is TBD.

Looks like a bunch of tech packed into a great FW!
BalFZlQCQAEGHWS.png

Back